• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CBR650F Indicators stopped working

AndrewG

CBR650F ABS
Feb 26, 2019
Happened last night. Riding home from work and the lights stopped working - both front and rear and hazards. Checked fuse and all seems fine. I knew something was up a few weeks ago because the right front indicator kept playing up; on occasion the light on the instrument cluster would flash very quickly, but nothing from bulb. Then it would correct itself. But only on right front. Now nothing. Is it the relay switch?

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
Front indicator connected under the headlight. Rears are under the seat.

Look for little black rubber tubes tucked up under the headlight, check the orange and blue plugs underneath are secure.

J

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
Get an inexpensive volt meter, test light or logic probe. You are looking for 12v DC power on the power feed and 0v on the ground side. Start at the lights and work your way back up the circuit until you find where the power is

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
You’re looking for an electrical short or a bad connection. Has ANYTHING on the bike changed that could be causing the issue?

AndrewG

CBR650F ABS
Feb 26, 2019
I had a new chain and sprocket set fitted on Monday morning, then this happened Monday eve. Not sure they’re connected tho. When I flick the indicator switch it’s dead, no ticking noise whatsoever.

AndrewG

CBR650F ABS
Feb 26, 2019
Front indicator connected under the headlight. Rears are under the seat.

Look for little black rubber tubes tucked up under the headlight, check the orange and blue plugs underneath are secure.

J
Thanks, will do. A friend said it might be the turn signal relay, but after Googling that it appears to be located under the tank!! Brilliant

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I had a new chain and sprocket set fitted on Monday morning, then this happened Monday eve. Not sure they’re connected tho. When I flick the indicator switch it’s dead, no ticking noise whatsoever.

Ok, so a shop fitted the chain and sprockets? There shouldn’t be any connection, but it wouldn’t hurt to ask the shop that did the work, it’s just too coincidental.

I’m leaning towards the switch over the relay, especially since the bike was just worked on. Does the switch feel normal? Does it pull out? Can you see anything weird with the wiring or switch itself? Have you tipped the bike over at all? If you push and pull on the switch do the lights come on?

Trace the wiring from the switch as well as the signals as Brammers @Brammers told you the location of the connectors. And baugustine @baugustine has great advice as well n

The flipped layout of the signals and horn leave the switch slightly out in the open for water or other damage. Thing is, it’s cheap so if you wanted to buy the two main culprits and fix it yourself I’d say grab the switch assembly and a relay, try swapping the switch first, relay second. My money is on the switch.

Timelord

CBR650F ABS
Jul 6, 2019
Nottingham
Had a similar issues with my left indicator (the right was fine) turned out to be the switch, that was fixed by the dealership.

Top Bottom