• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CB650F Indicators and engine light

davidw97

CB650F ABS
Mar 15, 2019
Oxford, United Kingdom
I fitted some Oxford indicators yesterday however I had to wait until today to connect them up because I didn't have the right connectors. I've now done that bit, used the plug off the original indicator, plugged it in and now I'm getting nothing at all, not even the clicking or dashboard light. The rears were turning on yesterday and flashing fine, all be it quickly as expected however now, neither the front or rear flash. I've also got a solid engine management light. If anyone could advise on a solution to this, that would be much appreciated.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Unhook the fronts and see if it goes back to normal. If it does, you have a wiring issue with the fronts, if not, unhook the rears and see what happens.

It’s like this: everything worked until you made a change, now it doesn’t. Let’s find where the error is and fix it.

What colors did you match up on the signals to the connectors? How did you splice them? Are they LED? If they are all led, know they are polarity specific so if you revered the + and - they won’t work where an incandescent bulb will. My guess would be that’s the case.

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
I'm a knucklehead when it comes to wiring but it sounds to me like you may have the wrong wires attached. Also, check all fuses before you start to re-wire. I blew the 7.5 dash fuse yesterday when I was connecting my brake light modulator!

davidw97

CB650F ABS
Mar 15, 2019
Oxford, United Kingdom
They are LED but I've tried the plugs both ways. I've also tried putting the original indicators back on but it doesn't seem to be working.

I checked the fuse and that seemed okay. The wires are connected with push fit crimp connectors.

Hopefully this has given a bit more information.

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
They are LED but I've tried the plugs both ways. I've also tried putting the original indicators back on but it doesn't seem to be working.

I checked the fuse and that seemed okay. The wires are connected with push fit crimp connectors.

Hopefully this has given a bit more information.

Any chance you can post pictures of the wires, plugs AND the instruction diagram?

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Let me ask...

In your picture I'm assuming that black box (A) is the 10-watt Load Balancing Resistor?

The 2 wires in (B), the BLUE and GREEN are running OUT to the turn signal light, correct?

The 2 wires in (C), are they running INTO the black box/Resistor from the MAIN POWER?

And, what is that wire, (D) up above?

Last edited:

davidw97

CB650F ABS
Mar 15, 2019
Oxford, United Kingdom
Let me ask...

In your picture I'm assuming that black box (A) is the 10-watt Load Balancing Resistor? Correct, this was supplied by the manufacturer of the indicators.

The 2 wires in (B), the BLUE and GREEN are running OUT to the turn signal light, correct? These are coming from the main power supply (the bike) to the resistor.

The 2 wires in (C), are they running INTO the black box/Resistor from the MAIN POWER? These are running from the resistor to the indicator.

And, what is that wire, (D) up above? That is another part of 'C'. The wire looped up slighty but that sleeve runs into the indicator.

15601000698704007863798450099676_LI by Dan Herbert, on Flickr

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida

Where is that RED wire from the resistor box in (A) coming from?

I'm thinking that the two BLACK wires coming FROM the resistor are in the wrong spots, or at least one of them.

Looking at the instruction diagram, it has the two BLACK wires connected to the MAIN POWER source, as well as the turn signals. So I'm thinking that you need to take the RED wire from (A), the red wire coming straight off the turn signal, and twist/solder/put them both on one spade connector and connect it to the BLACK wire coming out of the resistor in (B). Then, use that spade to connect into the GREEN wire (B) coming off the main power.

***By the way, I hope you have a few extra fuses!!! :D Again, I suck at wiring but reading from the instructions diagram that's what I'm taking from it.

davidw97

CB650F ABS
Mar 15, 2019
Oxford, United Kingdom
The resistor comes with 4 wires, 2 red and 2 black. The rears did work and I did them as I have done the front. I will give it a go tomorrow though and report back.

davidw97

CB650F ABS
Mar 15, 2019
Oxford, United Kingdom
I've just noticed that my clock has been reset since this all started. It resets every time I take the key out? I'm not sure if there is common issue with this or what?

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I've just noticed that my clock has been reset since this all started. It resets every time I take the key out? I'm not sure if there is common issue with this or what?
It’s not a common issue and is telling you you have a blown fuse and something isn’t right.

I’m hoping this was just for the pictures but the spade connectors are touching leading from the bike, that’s a dead short. Those need to be insulated from each other and touching anything metal in the bike. Devilsfan @Devilsfan has also given you some stuff to look at.

Basically, the resister should go across the turn signal in parallel and generally you’ll only need one per side. If it’s in any other way, you have issues.

davidw97

CB650F ABS
Mar 15, 2019
Oxford, United Kingdom
That was just for the pictures. Once I have the issues fixed, I will then sort the insulating out as well as general cable management. The fuses looked okay but I'll pull them out tonight and have a look.

The resistor is attached to only one at the minute.

Top Bottom