Resolved/Implemented Incorporating Next Gen Owners

Daniel

CB650F ABS
Feb 15, 2015
This primarily concerns forum staff I suppose, but thoughts and ideas from anyone are always good. I wondered if any thought had been given to incorporating the new generation of 650's since there are much more substantial changes this time around? Also since some deliveries seem to be taking place in Asian countries now too.

I used to have a BMW 1 series and on that forum (babybmw.net) they split the content into 2 sections, one for EXX models and one for FXX gen models. But had the same thread areas, i.e. General discussions, club garage, misc bike chat etc, within them.

Therefore grouping the 14-18 variant in one section and separating the 19> in another for the CBR650 and CBR650R, also helps to segregate the content for issues specific to the models and minimise confusion.

Would be great to attract those owners too which will likely include some of our current members. Could put a title graphic of models from those 2 sections on the home page so visitors know this site welcomes those owners too?

What do you guys think? Just throwing some ideas out there to broaden the future user and knowledge base.

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
There’s a few threads already on differences between the 14-16 and 17-18. Maybe just a rolling post in one spot to document those differences? Fundamentally the bikes are the same.

Daniel

CB650F ABS
Feb 15, 2015
There’s a few threads already on differences between the 14-16 and 17-18. Maybe just a rolling post in one spot to document those differences? Fundamentally the bikes are the same.

There are, but this isn't regarding the current and previous versions. It's regarding the future variant from 19> where there are more substantial changes. And perhaps segregating the forum accordingly.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
There are, but this isn't regarding the current and previous versions. It's regarding the future variant from 19> where there are more substantial changes. And perhaps segregating the forum accordingly.
While I think the changes could be called “substantial”, I think they aren’t are huge as it may seem. The engine and chassis are really 90% the same. Sure new bodywork, sure new headlights, sure new forks. But it’s just frosting on on the same cake.

I see no reason to split the forum, but another section for the “R” would probably be enough. At least to start.

User2

CBR650F
Oct 23, 2018
I think the big issue is the new bikes have a name that has no “F” but this is 650f.bike.

New owners of the 2019 models won’t find us when they search for a “cbr650r forum”.

How we organize the topics won’t address this issue directly but Google will see we have cbr650r content and we’ll be in the search results. Just not on the first page of results which is a lot like not being there at all for most people.

Daniel

CB650F ABS
Feb 15, 2015
I think the big issue is the new bikes have a name that has no “F” but this is 650f.bike.

New owners of the 2019 models won’t find us when they search for a “cbr650r forum”.

How we organize the topics won’t address this issue directly but Google will see we have cbr650r content and we’ll be in the search results. Just not on the first page of results which is a lot like not being there at all for most people.

That had crossed my mind, while Brammers' suggestion would work, I think simply entering CBR650R into the forum home page header would work too. I googled 'CBR650R forum' and fortunately we were the first result, it also seems there isn't a forum for the R models yet so could be an opportune time to get the association early. Check out attachment P1, then P2, I think including 'CB650R' and 'CBR650R' would bring the traffic this way, since that's the tag line that appears on google.

As for the forum, I agree with miweber929 @miweber929, there are a whole host of new features and aesthetical differences but some core components are still the same. Having a 'CB650R/CBR650R' section could be useful.

Attachments

• P1.jpg
    P1.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 9
  • P2.jpg
    P2.jpg
    484.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
Splitting the entire website up in an F and R section also means you're basically creating two separate communities. A community is more sustainable if it's larger, so you don't want to split up an already small number of people.
I'm not even sure if you need a separate "R" category, because that would only invite people to post things that do apply to both the F and R models inside the R category.

Sudesh

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Nov 21, 2017
Victoria, Australia
Riding Since
I agree with everyone here on the fact we should incorporate the CB/R 650R owners to this forum as F owners and users we all know a lot about our year bikes but also some of the similarities that will transfer over. Plus l think some of the people on here are thinking of maybe switching to the CBR650R like me and we could give a further insight with a teardown and such of the new bike. Also yes l say buy the 650R.bike domain and redirect it here so we get a jump ahead as the forums page for that bike.

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
I wouldn't make 650r.bike redirect to 650f.bike but have it as an alias by having both domains point to the same IP address.
That way you can browse the forum through either URL and get the same content.

GPJake

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Mar 8, 2015
United States / Northern KY
Riding Since
Awesome - just want to start by saying thanks. I love that folks care, and love even more that you take the time to share thoughts & ideas. Thank you, really.

This primarily concerns forum staff I suppose, but thoughts and ideas from anyone are always good. I wondered if any thought had been given to incorporating the new generation of 650's since there are much more substantial changes this time around? Also since some deliveries seem to be taking place in Asian countries now too.

Would be great to attract those owners too which will likely include some of our current members. Could put a title graphic of models from those 2 sections on the home page so visitors know this site welcomes those owners too?
Appreciate you starting the conversation. I totally get what you're aiming for here, and agree it's good to plan.
Also - doesn't just concern staff. I've said from day 1 this is your club as much as it is mine. Very few (if any?) decisions have I made on my own here :)
I'm just lucky enough to foot the bill :p

I see no reason to split the forum, but another section for the “R” would probably be enough. At least to start.
I think I agree with Mike. In my experience, it's best to let the content dictate the layout most of the time.

That is, some initial changes to show R content is welcome, and later accommodating whatever the activity warrants (split forums/etc).

I tried multiple domains to remedy this, but most were taken & sitting with empty pages. Typical domain hoarders.

Just buy 650r.bike and redirect it. That's google sorted.
Done.

That had crossed my mind, while Brammers' suggestion would work, I think simply entering CBR650R into the forum home page header would work too. I googled 'CBR650R forum' and fortunately we were the first result, it also seems there isn't a forum for the R models yet so could be an opportune time to get the association early. Check out attachment P1, then P2, I think including 'CB650R' and 'CBR650R' would bring the traffic this way, since that's the tag line that appears on google.

As for the forum, I agree with miweber929 @miweber929, there are a whole host of new features and aesthetical differences but some core components are still the same. Having a 'CB650R/CBR650R' section could be useful.
This is a good idea. I'll make the updates to the homepage/header.

We can also add "prefix" options for the R models.
One quick example: When posting in the "review" sections, you can now add a prefix of CB650F, CBR650F, CB650R, CBR650R

Splitting the entire website up in an F and R section also means you're basically creating two separate communities. A community is more sustainable if it's larger, so you don't want to split up an already small number of people.
Agree at this time. As mentioned above, I think we add some tweaks to make it clear R stuff is welcome.
When the time comes that the content dictates a separation, we can certainly re-visit.

I wouldn't make 650r.bike redirect to 650f.bike but have it as an alias by having both domains point to the same IP address.
That way you can browse the forum through either URL and get the same content.
As Brammers @Brammers mentioned, I've also read that redirects are better for SEO.

Road Hog

CBR650F ABS
May 4, 2017
Thailand
Maybe it's time to expand the forum and call it the CB/R forum for all cb/r bikes not just the 650"s.I am sure the
day will come.As i own a cbr250r as well it would save me from joining the cbr250r forum.

Last edited:

Nithesh

MotoGP
Apr 5, 2014
India
jus
Maybe it's time to expand the forum and call it the CB/R forum for all cb/r bikes not just the 650"s.I am sure the
day will come.As i own a cbr250r as well it would save me from joining the cbr250r forum.
Or we can do what Honda did and get the F out of the url.. 650dotbike or maybe even cbr650dotbike is an easy solution? 😁

GPJake

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Mar 8, 2015
United States / Northern KY
Riding Since
We talked about that a long time ago. This is one of those things I think is best dictated by need/activity.

Example: we have the "Misc Bike Talk" area. If we get a bunch of activity around Bike X, we can peel them off into a new subforum for Bike X.

Or we can do what Honda did and get the F out of the url.. 650dotbike or maybe even cbr650dotbike is an easy solution? 😁
Register them and redirect them here. Forum can be the same.
I tried... 650.bike is taken by a domain hoarder looking to gouge people to sell it.

And CBR650 doesn't make sense cause half our folks own CB's 😋

Daniel

CB650F ABS
Feb 15, 2015
Just to let you know its worked. Updating the tag line should keep us up top when people search for a 'CBR650R forum' now.

P3.jpg

Top Bottom