• Welcome - be sure to add your motorcycle to the Showcase!

In love, in Aberdeen, Scotland.

ewganhoff

CB650F ABS
May 19, 2018
Aberdeen, Scotland
I bought it, and I am deeply in love with my 2017 cb650f. It's an ex demo and had 602 miles on it when I took it out for my first test ride. I didn't want a the new cb specifically, I had only really been toying with the idea of getting a new bike.

My biking history(I'm 35 now, btw): I I started riding at 16 and had a string of small bikes over the next few years. I did my full licence when I was 22 and bought a Honda fx650 Vigor(think Dominator with no fairing). I hated it it very quickly. As a young guy with my new big boy licence running out of puff at 90mph was just not cutting it. And it vibrated badly at 80+. So within 2 months I went looking for a bandit 600. I went to the suzuki dealer looking for a £2000 bandit and ended up with a VX800(think suzuki 800cc cruiser v-twin with shaft drive in a naked/UJM chassis). That was a shit bike but I loved it. It would go 115 and sit at 100 all day. The suspension was utter garbage but I had tons of fun smashing around the country roads. I'd had that bike for about a year and a half(20000 miles) when a pal at work told me he had his 99 ZX6R for sale and he would give me £500 off. We went to his at lunch for a test ride and I couldn't give him the money fast enough by the time I got back. The wail of the I4, through the Remus race exhaust, was so intoxicating. And the speed, oh my god the speed! The next year or so of riding went by in a literal blur. I had a few mates with sports bikes and we rode like complete dick heads because it was very hard not to with that riding position and that big fairing making 130 feel like 80.

During this time I had still been living at my dad's, and adding to my small bike stable with a Chinese monkey bike, a Chinese dual sport, and a Honda scv100 Lead.

Then reality hit and the gf and I decided to buy our fist place together. I sold all the bikes except the little Honda 100(commuting) because I needed the cash and our first flat had no garage. At this point I thought after about a year, when we had all our finances sorted out, maybe I could get an old 500 or something that I wouldn't mind leaving outside. Then 10 years passed. You know the story: wedding, kid1, holiday, bigger house, holiday, new commuter scooter(pcx125) because the 100 was falling to bits, new bathroom, kid2, new family car.....

In 2016 I got layed off from the good job I had had for all these years which was funding the life above. I got a another job that payed less than half what I was used to, for way more of my time. The big bike dream only ever seemed to get farther away.

Then a year and a month after I lost my good job I got a phone call saying they wanted me back! I decided there and then that my time on a scooter was over.

Now, you've got to understand that I had been thinking about what bike I would get when the time came - for a decade. I knew I didn't want or need anything as fast as the ZX6R, and I also knew that my trusty pcx was just not fast or involving enough to ride in the countryside. I had been keenly following the 250 class war and had convinced myself that a 90mph 250 single might be enough fun. So last year I bought a 2012 CBR250 and it was fun in its own way, but there is very little grunt left coming out of a 70mph corner and on the straights I was in a constant racer crouch trying to eek out the last few mph. Yes, it's good fun riding a small bike fast but it's more fun riding a fastish bike faster.

A coupling of months ago I started toying with the idea of getting something bigger, older er6, fazer 600, cb(r)500, sv650, hornet, bandit, vstrom, versys, and even a 2014 cb650f. MOT time came for the cbr so while I was waiting for the test to be done I had a walk around the show room and sat on some bikes trying to get a feel for the riding positions. I was looking at a brand new cb500x and talking myself into spending that kind of cash when I spotted the 2017 cb for the same money as the 500. My mind started whispering all sorts of sweet nothings into my ear(it's got the new forks, it's got the new sort of super naked riding position, the engine has more power, the reviews all say its a great bike, you love an I4, you loved your ninja, your dad's cb750 and gsx1400 and your father-in-laws cbf1000) and before I knew it I'd asked the salesman Charlie if I could have a go. He wheeled it outside.

My first impression was that Honda had sprinkled on even more of their ergo magic than usual. I just rolling through the city I felt plugged in. My legs just seemed to be... right, I don't know how else to describe it, and my upper body felt assertive - mostly upright but with a small, sporty lean to the bars and great leverage for bossing the bike around. The bike just fits me like a glove. I'm 5'9".

Then I was reminded of one of the reasons why I love 4 cylinders so much, the creamy smooth bottom end. I was also impressed by this bikes torque at the bottom. I could get around town without going over 5000rpm no problem.

Then I exited the city on to some twisties I know well and I was reminded of another reason I love the I4 engine - top end zap! My ninja was a long time ago and was probably a smidgen quicker than this, but it's got to be close - this thing fucking flies. And the noise. I'd read the new exhaust was tuned to sound better and I don't know what the old one sounds like, but this exhaust sounds amazing! I know Ducati manage to make decent sounding standard exhausts, but Honda? Well they've done it, I have zero intension of changing the exhaust.

On my test rides I didn't really go balls out in the corners because it wasn't my bike, but I could tell I was going to like it.

Charlie gave me a reasonable price for the 250 and I bought the cb. I didn't get the bike until 11 days later because it needed it's first service and I had a family holiday.

But I have her now and I've just spent the past week off work putting a further 1000 miles on, so here are my "faves and fails".

Faves:
Power - OK, it's not Panigale V4 power, but it's more than plenty to be very, very naughty, and have a ball getting there.

The front end - again, I don't know what the old bike felt like, but the front suspension feels so dialed in, I feel like I'm getting plenty of feedback through the bars and it just gives me so much confidence in fast sweepers and tighter nadgery stuff.

The ergos:
As mentioned above, I feel plugged in and at one with the bike. It works equally well in town and scratching around the countryside. I'm also pleasantly surprised by how comfortable I am in the wind blast at 70-80. Also, the wind blast is good for letting me know just how extra-legal I am being. Like I said before, on the ninja, 130 felt like 80-90. On this 130 feels like 130, I am really hanging on by that point.

Looks: I have to admit, I wasn't instantly sold on the looks of the bike from pictures. I though it looked pretty good, and I felt it was an improvement over the 2014. But I'd also never seen a blue one, even in pictures. I like the stance, the lines and the colour. Now, I don't know if it's the same as when you love your own kids more than others, but blue has got to be the best colour currently available. The headers are obviously a work of art, and I love the underbelly muffler, it's just so neat and tidy tucked under there instead of having some big asymmetrical piece of metal sticking miles out one side of the bike. The swing arm is beautiful. It looks like a swing arm - an old piece of box section steel bent into shape does not look like a swing arm. Some cool looking bikes are ruined by a box section swing arm. They should be banned. The headlight is OK, it's kind of mean and aggressive, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't prefer the one from the new cb1000r.

The Package - the whole thing just works so well at getting me across the countryside at decent pace with a massive grin on my face.

Fails:
Fork aesthetics - I am more than delighted with the action of the fork, but USDs would really finish off the look.

Pair valve - its weird, but I already don't notice it.

Slightly snatchy throttle - at town speeds I'm finding the fuelling a bit abrupt when going on and off the throttle. Its not as bad
the cbr, it was actually annoying, and I am learning to ride around it.

Fuel economy - I knew it wasn't going to be great being a 4, but the way the motor begs to thrashed I got the last bar of the fuel gauge flashing in just under 100 miles on one occasion. I guess you've just got to pay for your fun.

Way, way TL/DR: I love the bike, you should buy one if you don't already have one!

Last edited:

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
Great post! Glad you're enjoying it. And I agree, the blue CB is my favorite colour as well.

I recognize the whole gf/house/kids thing all too well. I've been saying I wanted to ride bikes all my life but never got around to getting a license until I was 33 years old (am turning 35 in a month). The CBR650F I own now is the first and only bike I ever owned and I'm still in love with it. For me, it's the perfect blend of power, sportiness and sensibility.

ewganhoff

CB650F ABS
May 19, 2018
Aberdeen, Scotland
I'm glad you joined us at last, buddy. Biking is one of the best ways to enjoy this spinning rock we live on. I'm always trying to encourage non bikers to give it a go.

And yes, I agree that the 650f achieves an excellent balance between fun and sensible, it can wear either hat, whenever you want.

GPJake

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Mar 8, 2015
United States / Northern KY
Riding Since
Amazing story! I love it!

Mine was slightly similar. I bought my first bike when our youngest was 1 or 2 yrs old. When I sold it a few years later, I made a deal with my wife I'd get my next bike when I got a promotion at work. Well, I had a pretty successful run and was promoted twice within about 9 months, and am still enjoying my CBR650F 😎

And 20,000 miles in 1.5 years on the VX800! Wow!

Glad to have you here with us! Welcome!

Beansie

CB650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Feb 4, 2018
Stockport
Cracking story glad you love the bike! Where abouts in Aberdeen are you from I’m working up there this week and I’m hoping next time I come up here in a few weeks I’ll be bringing my bike up in the van

ewganhoff

CB650F ABS
May 19, 2018
Aberdeen, Scotland
I'm in Bridge of Don(Northside4life), but Aberdeen is under 15 minutes across on a bike, so it barely matters. If we can arrange a meet I'd be delighted to go for a run. Will be tricky as I work ad hoc offshore so I never know when I'll be home except for my set amount of days immediately after I come home from a job.

If we don't meet I'd be happy to recommend some of my favourite roads. There's plenty of good ones about.

Where are you based?

Beansie

CB650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Feb 4, 2018
Stockport
I’m staying in a place called Buckie although it’s got an Aberdeen postcode I’m around 50-60 miles out from the centre. Working on a massive sub station here should be back up in about 6 weeks time to do some more work so I’m hoping to bring the bike with me and would be up for a meet if you are free at the time

ewganhoff

CB650F ABS
May 19, 2018
Aberdeen, Scotland
Buckie! Haha! Watch out on Friday and Saturday nights for locals looking for a scrap. It's like the Wild West if you believe some of the stories of folk who grew up there. I've heard of Royal Rumble like scenes in the main square.

Buckie is close to a bunch of good roads through whiskey country. It would be a great excuse get a bit further from Aberdeen. I've been up there but not often.

Beansie

CB650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Feb 4, 2018
Stockport
Haha I’ve been told the places to go and where to stay away from 😂 there’s a few big lads we all throw around steel security doors day in day out and judging by the scroats I’ve seen knocking about we should be alright haha! We drove some mega roads coming up here from Manchester I’m pretty sure we covered a fair bit of the whiskey trail too just makes me wish I’d brought my bike!!

Junior J

CB650F ABS
Jan 19, 2018
Glasgow, Scotland
Hi and welcome am currently on night rotation and just realized this is bike I set out to buy at end of winter but got sidetracked into a GSR 750 which I don't even like so on Friday after some sleep I'm into dealers to sort this out.
Like you am in Scotland just outside of Glasgow and like dealer - long and short is CB650F is more me with enough power and Blue is the color too. Enjoy the new ride and for others who read and commented on my welcome thread apologies but am keen to return from darkside looked at twins and triples but love an inline 4.

Top Bottom