How old , how long on a bike

roadkillbuzzard

CB650F
Nov 7, 2020
Riding Since
started on 2 wheels in early seventies, late seventies road my friends' RM125 and CR125. Bought a Sachs moped with my paper route money in 1980 at the age of 14. 48cc plus pedal power. First street bike at age 20, Kawi GPZ550. Road it from Mass to Cali when I was 21. Bungied my book bag on the back with a few pairs of socks and underware, a couple t-shirts and a hoodie and headed down the road. My friend that road with me had a 1972 CB650 that he bought off of a priest.
MassPike to upstate NY. Herkimer NY, Niagra Falls, Sanduski, Chicago,84 West, Desmoines, Cheyenne, Saltlake, Wendover, Reno, San Fran, highway 1 to LA, San Diego. Second bike was a 1980 CB750. Burgundy. A bit clunky compared to the GPZ. Like the 4s. They sound good and don't strand you on the side of the road.
After college married a nurse who worked in neurology at Beth Israel Hospital. Nurses and bikes don't mix. After raising triplets and some three decades later I am back in the saddle again, this time on a CB650f. Maybe another cross country trip. Plan on exploring the top half of Maine come spring. Not much Covid up in the Pine Tree State. Wish me luck. I wish you the same.

Daniel

CB650F ABS
Feb 15, 2015
This thread has been a great read, so many members with so much riding experience. Some don't even have '650 but still hang around which is testament to the community going on here.

I'm 28, I started riding 6 years ago after I split up with a bat shit crazy ex girlfriend of mine and a rough couple of years. I literally had a quarterly life crisis, but glad I did, I soon forgot about it all once I got out riding and getting involved with biking communities. I've probably covered only 18k miles in those years now, on my CB which I have had since new, my only bike so far, although it's had MORE than it's fair share of enhancements if you will.

roadkillbuzzard

CB650F
Nov 7, 2020
Riding Since
This thread has been a great read, so many members with so much riding experience. Some don't even have '650 but still hang around which is testament to the community going on here.

I'm 28, I started riding 6 years ago after I split up with a bat shit crazy ex girlfriend of mine and a rough couple of years. I literally had a quarterly life crisis, but glad I did, I soon forgot about it all once I got out riding and getting involved with biking communities. I've probably covered only 18k miles in those years now, on my CB which I have had since new, my only bike so far, although it's had MORE than it's fair share of enhancements if you will.
You picked a great first bike. It will last you a life time. Interesting that a young man in his 20s would go for the in-line four over a torquier wheelie machine. I love em. They sound like a Jap bike should. They have two personalities almost, under 6k rpms and over. They can purr or scream. The only thing better than the sound of an in-line 4 is the sound of a CBX. Tough to beat six cylinders that sound like an old Formula 1. IMHO.

Daniel

CB650F ABS
Feb 15, 2015
You picked a great first bike. It will last you a life time. Interesting that a young man in his 20s would go for the in-line four over a torquier wheelie machine. I love em. They sound like a Jap bike should. They have two personalities almost, under 6k rpms and over. They can purr or scream. The only thing better than the sound of an in-line 4 is the sound of a CBX. Tough to beat six cylinders that sound like an old Formula 1. IMHO.

I wanted something that was accessible for a newbie like myself, and this provided just that. Way fast enough for me right now until I have the time and money for something more aggressive, not to mention the aftermarket side of it and my penchant for alterations. I may have to claim one of the most modified CB's on the forum I think.

The CBX would be an incredible bike to own, have only heard videos of its infamous sound but have seen it in the flesh a handful of times. Saw this one in Barton-Upon-Humber at a bike show in NE England last year, absolutely flawless example commanding £18k price tag. Stunning paint & metalwork. Looks like the 650's gangster Grandad.

Attachments

• 20201220_165841.jpg
    20201220_165841.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • 20190713_180953.jpg
    20190713_180953.jpg
    837.1 KB · Views: 10

Scooter

CBR650R ABS
Dec 19, 2020
Riding Since
So l going to be billy big balls
l am 60 years old, been radeing bikes from 1976 ( at 17 years old )
Must have a few bikes in my life time
Rideing bikes before cameras was interesting
Quite suspense a got to 21 years old
What is the age of folks rideing
How many years riading
When did you pass a bike test
what is your history of bikes ect
Hello, 66 years old, still roiling, 100,000s of miles. Bout to trade Harley in on either CBR650R or CBR1000RR, be 1st sport bike, do you all have advice on which. Im 6'-2", 190 lbs. Usually get into traffic but plenty of highway miles also.
Passed 1st bike test in 1998, started riding late.
Best bike ever owned was Honda Valkyrie, 98 model purchased in 2000, traded for Electraglide in 04, mistake but.
Merry Christmas to all. Stay safe and healthy.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Hello, 66 years old, still roiling, 100,000s of miles. Bout to trade Harley in on either CBR650R or CBR1000RR, be 1st sport bike, do you all have advice on which. Im 6'-2", 190 lbs. Usually get into traffic but plenty of highway miles also.
Passed 1st bike test in 1998, started riding late.
Best bike ever owned was Honda Valkyrie, 98 model purchased in 2000, traded for Electraglide in 04, mistake but.
Merry Christmas to all. Stay safe and healthy.
If highway miles are in the cards, the 650R is a better choice. If you will ride maybe 2 hours at a time, live near the twisties or have an ego issue, 1000RR.

Welcome!!!!

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Thanks, going to for the 650 R.
I’m not trying to dissuade you from the excellent 650R but if you’re looking between a 1000RR and the 650R, I’d also take a long look at the new for ‘21 Aprilia 660 or the redesigned ‘21 Ducati Supersport if money isn’t a huge factor. Ducati addressed basically every “weakness” the original Supersport had with the exception of cruise control and made an already great bike even better. But if can live without cornering ABS and a color display, a leftover Supersport S would be a good buy.

Both up the “wow” factor of the 650R a bit and are still all day comfortable.

Scooter

CBR650R ABS
Dec 19, 2020
Riding Since
I’m not trying to dissuade you from the excellent 650R but if you’re looking between a 1000RR and the 650R, I’d also take a long look at the new for ‘21 Aprilia 660 or the redesigned ‘21 Ducati Supersport if money isn’t a huge factor. Ducati addressed basically every “weakness” the original Supersport had with the exception of cruise control and made an already great bike even better. But if can live without cornering ABS and a color display, a leftover Supersport S would be a good buy.

Both up the “wow” factor of the 650R a bit and are still all day comfortable.
Thanks for info, will definitely give them a look.

Pete J

CBR650F ABS
Nov 20, 2018
I will be 76 this year. I returned to motorcycling in 2018, after a gap of almost 40 years. I bought a 2017 CBR650F, sensibly had 2 hours on a 125 at a local training centre, and I was away. I live in East Yorkshire - God's own country for motorcycling, but don't tell anyone. The bike is purely for pleasure, so I only ride in the fine weather, typically only 50-100 miles at a time. I planned somewhat longer trips last year, but Covid-19 scuppered that plan. Fingers crossed for 2021. I have had one (Pfizer) jab so far, and a few weeks to go for the second. My grand plan is to win the lottery, retire to the Isle of Man, and go faster down the Sulby straight than I once did on a Triton (120 mph, and quite legal).

Scooter

CBR650R ABS
Dec 19, 2020
Riding Since
I will be 76 this year. I returned to motorcycling in 2018, after a gap of almost 40 years. I bought a 2017 CBR650F, sensibly had 2 hours on a 125 at a local training centre, and I was away. I live in East Yorkshire - God's own country for motorcycling, but don't tell anyone. The bike is purely for pleasure, so I only ride in the fine weather, typically only 50-100 miles at a time. I planned somewhat longer trips last year, but Covid-19 scuppered that plan. Fingers crossed for 2021. I have had one (Pfizer) jab so far, and a few weeks to go for the second. My grand plan is to win the lottery, retire to the Isle of Man, and go faster down the Sulby straight than I once did on a Triton (120 mph, and quite legal).
That is great, so glad for you. Never stop, motorcycle riding proven to improve health on all fronts. I would love to cruise Europe. In the city of Houston Texas, well, there it isn't.
Haha, Isle of Man, yes, the dream
You'll do it, just stay focused and see it.
It shall be, what you see.
Take care and never look back.

Kevin

CBR650R ABS
Sep 21, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Riding Since
I’m 32 and started riding at 13 on a Suzuki RM80 then quickly moved up to a CR125 which by 16 I was racing. After several more dirt bikes over the years I bought my first road bike, a Ducati Monster 696, at 25 (while my now wife, then girlfriend, was on vacation with her family). Sold it and bought a Harley but it didn’t do it for me so sold that one and picked up my CBR650R last summer and haven’t had any regrets.

Jluu

CB650R ABS
Jul 21, 2019
I'm 37 turning 38 this year Started riding in 2013 with a Kawasaki Ninja 300. Took lessons to expedite the licensing process. Upgraded to Triumph Daytona 675 the next year. Traded that in during summer of 2019 for current 2019 Honda CB650R.

Wow time sure flies.

Top Bottom