• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

Gear HJC RPHA70 "Octar"

Thomas

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Apr 8, 2017
Germany
Better late than never.....Santa finally found my house.
Will now tell my first impressions

Will update this thread once it´s spring and I can finally test it on the move and compare it to the Shoei Qwest I currently own and which I used until now.

- It seems well made, exterior and interior.
- it has an integrated sunvisor which you can control next to your chin
- it has a gap for glasses (the biggest purchase reason)
- it has many air vents that you can adjust
- you can close the visor in two ways (with and without an air gap)
- it has a breath deflector above your nose (or however you want to call that)
- you can equip a pinlock visor

You again have to excuse the crappy lighting and pictures.

IMG_20180111_170730.jpgIMG_20180111_170712.jpgIMG_20180111_170736.jpgIMG_20180111_170721.jpgIMG_20180111_171728.jpgIMG_20180111_171915.jpgIMG_20180111_171832.jpg

Thomas

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Apr 8, 2017
Germany
Nice gear,But didn't you say you never go over 80km/h?Maybe a little bit
of over kill here?
I feel adventurous. Maybe gonna try out 85 km/h soon. :hilarious:

I've considered HJC and have a Shoei Qwest like you. How do you find the fit of the HJC versus the Shoei - same, roomier, tighter?

I only ask because -- although outrageously expensive for an HJC -- this caught my eye at Christmas:
The Rpha 70 is pretty tight compared to the Qwest.
While I have my Shoei in Large, the RPHA is XL.
The Rpha 11 apparently is a lighter but slightly less comfortable Rpha 70. Ventilation seems much better with the HJC.
HJC still does the best designs by far imo. (Not like Shoei. Only a hand full of nice designs, the rest just looks awkward or boooooooring.)

Can only really tell the differences once I can hop on the bike.

Last edited:

ADIOS600

CB650F ABS
May 16, 2017
LINCOLNSHIRE
I feel adventurous. Maybe gonna try out 85 km/h soon. :hilarious:

The Rpha 70 is pretty tight compared to the Qwest.
While I have my Shoei in Large, the RPHA is XL.
The Rpha 11 apparently is a lighter but slightly less comfortable Rpha 70. Ventilation seems much better with the HJC.
HJC still does the best designs by far imo. (Not like Shoei. Only a hand full of nice designs, the rest just looks awkward or boooooooring.)

Can only really tell the differences once I can hop on the bike.
Has anybody considered Arai at all.

Road Hog

CBR650F ABS
May 4, 2017
Thailand
I have 2 shoei and 1 hjc full carbon helmets and the one i like the best is my old shoei X-11 as
it cuts the head wobble at higher speeds.Such a good helmet but time is running out on
it.My shoei gt-air is nice butt it gives me neck pain.The hjc is very light but i get more head wobble
on this one.Again it comes down to what fits you the best and how much money you want to spend.

Rocket Crotch

MotoGP
Oct 18, 2017
A bit late here, but met me toss in a recommendation for the RPHA. I have the RPHA 11 in black with red accent stripes. It looks great, includes a smoked visor and the anti-fog insert (which I've never needed due to excellent ventilation). It's very comfortable and for its price I don't think you can do much better. My only complaint about it is the non-removable HJC logo on the front, which I would have prefered to at least be more subtle.

Road Hog

CBR650F ABS
May 4, 2017
Thailand
It might be time for me to find a new helmet.It is so hard to choose these days the rpha 11 is a good helmet and the front hjc logo
does make you go faster,Ha Ha.But i think i will look for a good helmet but with more tech. like being able to see behind me.

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
I have a HJC RPHA ST helmet and it has the front logo too. I don't mind it, but because it's actually embossed on the helmet surface it's sometimes difficult to clean out all the dead fly carcasses from around that area.

Thomas

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Apr 8, 2017
Germany
I had a wasp jammed in my vent and all I could see was it's back side. They reckon the last thing that goes through a wasps mind when it hits your helmet is its asshole.
Had to read it a second time to get it :smuggrin:

Got one of those smelly bugs into a vent lately, you know, those that start smelling like shit when they think they are in danger - or dead.
It was pretty horrible. No problem when getting a lot of air in the face but it startet smelling again when riding slowly. I guess it´s still in there but at least it stopped smelling horrible after 10 km.

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
Bug stories. Oh jolly!
I had a tiny little fly end up flying through the 0.5 cm gap between my sun visor and chin guard. It got in, but couldn't get out anymore. It tickled like mad when it touched my skin. Especially when it flew against my nose I was afraid I would end up breathing it in. I had slow down to open the visor and let it out. Maybe I should've opened my mouth and eat it. Lots of protein! I'm glad that wasn't a wasp though! :eek:

bobstrax

CB650F ABS
Oct 1, 2017
Lincolnshire
I have 2 shoei and 1 hjc full carbon helmets and the one i like the best is my old shoei X-11 as
it cuts the head wobble at higher speeds.Such a good helmet but time is running out on
it.My shoei gt-air is nice butt it gives me neck pain.The hjc is very light but i get more head wobble
on this one.Again it comes down to what fits you the best and how much money you want to spend.
I agree there, keep going back to my xspirit 2 (x11 I believe) lovely helmet. The Shoei NXR (replacement for the XR1100) is nice and light, though I'm not sure it's actually comfier and I've got/had a few 1100's. It is however comfier than the GT air....no neck pain either. None are as good as the xspirit though :)

Thomas

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Apr 8, 2017
Germany
Those X - Spirits seem like nice helmets. Love the shape of them but I sadly don´t really like the price :wtf:. Plus I changed from a Shoei because it was horrible with glasses after 3 hours.

Road Hog

CBR650F ABS
May 4, 2017
Thailand
Bug stories, When i first came to thailand i did not wear a helmet only sun glasses. I looked real cool
untill i hit a swarm of bees and got over 40 stings to my face and neck. The doctors where i live did
not know what to do,so i went on the internet and talked to some bee keepers in the usa. They
told me how to stop the pain and get the swelling down. Thank god for the internet!

Top Bottom