• Welcome - be sure to add your motorcycle to the Showcase!

Hi From Sydney

cmaus94

CBR650F ABS
Nov 7, 2018
Hello!

I am on my Learners and i am about to purchase a CBR650 F ABS. What is everyone's opinion about owning one as a first road bike?
I have been riding dirt for years and have finally jumped on a road bike. Also i am very undecided about Red or Gunpowder Black..

Thank you in advance!

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Hello and welcome!!!

To answer your first question, only you can decide if it’s too much bike to start with or not, that’s not something an Internet forum can tell you. What we can say is it’s a great bike, handles nice, easy to ride and does make a great starter (as well as an experienced rider) bike. Most people that have had issues starting out on the 650 state the physical size, seat height, weight and the fact the weight is carried slightly high as it’s drawbacks.

If any of these are concerns, try a 500 and see how that feels; it’s a great bike as well.

And I say go with red, matte colors to me will look dated and too much work to properly keep clean.

cmaus94

CBR650F ABS
Nov 7, 2018
Thanks for your reply lads! yeah certainly cannot determine if the bike is suitable over the internet.
Mhmm the Matte black here in AUS is basically sold out and only a handful are left in Sydney..
I think i might go with the black

Sudesh

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Nov 21, 2017
Victoria, Australia
Riding Since
I agree too, you are the only one who can really determine if the bike would be too much for you. I personally started on a CBR1000RR and l was absolutely terrified but it gave me more confident with the second bike which was a CBR600RR. Finally l bought my own bike and it was the CBR650F while I'm on my Ls and it is absolutely fantastic. The bike isn't light however which l feel like a lot of people agree with the stand still drops forum friends can relate with, but don't let that turn you away because it is still a great bike and one of the tops when it comes to the LAMS bike rules. Go for red cause l have matte black and ooo it does get a little draining, I've seen the red and holy cow its fabulous.

P.S... I would wait till 2019 early as l believe the CBR650RR is going to be a LAMS bike possibly and you might enjoy that much more. The design in my opinion is way better than the 650F, it also comes with a slipper clutch that will help during Australian random rain along with the fact you will start with the first year of a new bike!!!

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
This is my first bike as well and, while it's hard to make real judgements about whether or not it's okay because it's pretty much the only bike I've ridden extensively, I don't feel like I'm having any problems handling the bike. Size and weight aren't a problem for me, being 1.86m.

Another vote for red by the way, but that's just based on my personal preference for its looks :)

cmaus94

CBR650F ABS
Nov 7, 2018
I agree too, you are the only one who can really determine if the bike would be too much for you. I personally started on a CBR1000RR and l was absolutely terrified but it gave me more confident with the second bike which was a CBR600RR. Finally l bought my own bike and it was the CBR650F while I'm on my Ls and it is absolutely fantastic. The bike isn't light however which l feel like a lot of people agree with the stand still drops forum friends can relate with, but don't let that turn you away because it is still a great bike and one of the tops when it comes to the LAMS bike rules. Go for red cause l have matte black and ooo it does get a little draining, I've seen the red and holy cow its fabulous.

P.S... I would wait till 2019 early as l believe the CBR650RR is going to be a LAMS bike possibly and you might enjoy that much more. The design in my opinion is way better than the 650F, it also comes with a slipper clutch that will help during Australian random rain along with the fact you will start with the first year of a new bike!!!

Thanks for you reply fellow Aussie! I was wondering if they were bringing out a new cbr650 this year.. Then yesterday i saw the release of the CBR650R at EICMA! Do you know if it definitely will be LAMS approved? I know the CB650R will be.. It might be worth waiting until the R comes out.

Does anyone know what time in the year the bikes are released to the public to purchase here in AUS?

Sudesh

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Nov 21, 2017
Victoria, Australia
Riding Since
I presume since it was launched in November 2018 that it will be purchasable during 2019 March ishh. However do not trust my word l am just guessing! I say wait, oh god you will thank the heavens that you managed to wait and pick up that sweet CBR650RR if it is lams approved. I presume it will be as they are presenting it as an A2 license product which I do believe is like the LAMS equivalent in other countries.

cmaus94

CBR650F ABS
Nov 7, 2018
I presume since it was launched in November 2018 that it will be purchasable during 2019 March ishh. However do not trust my word l am just guessing! I say wait, oh god you will thank the heavens that you managed to wait and pick up that sweet CBR650RR if it is lams approved. I presume it will be as they are presenting it as an A2 license product which I do believe is like the LAMS equivalent in other countries.

Can confirm it will be LAMS approved after speaking to a Honda dealer. But it will be released in the first half of next year, and to be honest i don't think i could wait that long..

Sudesh

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Nov 21, 2017
Victoria, Australia
Riding Since
Can confirm it will be LAMS approved after speaking to a Honda dealer. But it will be released in the first half of next year, and to be honest i don't think i could wait that long..

MAN I WOULD WAIT!!! It is such a nice looking bike and you would love to get the brand new model man. Hell l would ride from Victoria just to get a feel of that bike with you in Sydney hahaha, its up too you but l vote wait.

cmaus94

CBR650F ABS
Nov 7, 2018
MAN I WOULD WAIT!!! It is such a nice looking bike and you would love to get the brand new model man. Hell l would ride from Victoria just to get a feel of that bike with you in Sydney hahaha, its up too you but l vote wait.

ahaha i see where you're coming from but i have been talking about getting a bike for years now. I seriously can't wait any longer and may be able to get a good bargain on one as they are bringing out a new bike..
I might be actually picking one up today :)

Sudesh

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Nov 21, 2017
Victoria, Australia
Riding Since
ahaha i see where you're coming from but i have been talking about getting a bike for years now. I seriously can't wait any longer and may be able to get a good bargain on one as they are bringing out a new bike..
I might be actually picking one up today :)

Well the 650F is a fabulous bike and especially for the learners scheme if you manage it’s weight and learn to control it! I’m sure whatever you choose it will go great :)

cmaus94

CBR650F ABS
Nov 7, 2018
Well the 650F is a fabulous bike and especially for the learners scheme if you manage it’s weight and learn to control it! I’m sure whatever you choose it will go great :)
Ordered! Gets dropped to my house next week 😎

Sudesh

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Nov 21, 2017
Victoria, Australia
Riding Since
Great job man, you'll love it I'm sure! Remember to shrink wrap the wires to make them water proof or do the DIY method and just use good old black electrical tape around the connection points!

cmaus94

CBR650F ABS
Nov 7, 2018
Great job man, you'll love it I'm sure! Remember to shrink wrap the wires to make them water proof or do the DIY method and just use good old black electrical tape around the connection points!

Thanks for the tip!

i am going to be using my existing blinkers.. Anything else to note?

Sudesh

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Nov 21, 2017
Victoria, Australia
Riding Since
Thanks for the tip!

i am going to be using my existing blinkers.. Anything else to note?

Nothing else from installation memory, but yeah the stock blinkers do fit just try figure out how the spacers go in between the turn signals and license bracket frame. Trust me all the pieces fit and it looks great.

cmaus94

CBR650F ABS
Nov 7, 2018
Nothing else from installation memory, but yeah the stock blinkers do fit just try figure out how the spacers go in between the turn signals and license bracket frame. Trust me all the pieces fit and it looks great.

Thanks mate!

Top Bottom