• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CBR650F Help with Levers

Kingsleh

CBR650F ABS
Apr 11, 2018
Montreal, Canada
So I got my new levers in the mail today. It all seems pretty easy to swap but before I go ahead and break something, I wanted to check here first since it's my first time.
I did read here somewhere that they had to be specific to our bike so that's what I got.

What I'm most concerned about is as follows:

-Should the screw that holds each lever be tight?
-Should I be greasing anything?
-Do I need to undo the clutch cable or will it come right out?
-Is it really as easy as pulling it out and putting the new one in?

I'm probably missing something else but feel free to enlighten me :)

StephaneCBR

CBR650F ABS
May 23, 2015
Montreal, Canada
You can put some grease on the pivot shank, a fine layer only just so its not bare metal. For the clutch side you undo the cable from the engine side to get some play to remove/install lever. I dont know what your levers looks like but if you have an adjuster attach with screw and locknut, make sure the locknut is well tightened because under the vibs of the bike you will loose the cursor; I almost lost mine after couple rides.

Kingsleh

CBR650F ABS
Apr 11, 2018
Montreal, Canada
StephaneCBR @StephaneCBR Yep the new ones are both adjustable and I did notice that the small locknut on one of the adjusters seemed to not have been tightened properly.
Is synthetic grease good? It's what I have access to without buying some so hopefully it's good.

R @Road Hog Thanks, it really does seem easy :D

So I'll try installing them tomorrow when I get home from work and hopefully it will all go well and I'll keep you guys posted on my learning experience. Thanks a bunch :)

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
There are pin switches in both the clutch lever perch and the brake perch. Both are there for a reason so be careful as you are installing the new levers to keep them from getting jammed or broken, it’s fairly easy to do, and be sure they work when you’re done.

Lastly, be sure your brake lever isn’t causing pressure on the master cylinder piston at rest or you can cause braking issues including locking them up while riding. Just take your time and be sure the overall shape of the pivot area of the new levers is the same as the ones you are replacing and you should be fine.

Kingsleh

CBR650F ABS
Apr 11, 2018
Montreal, Canada
All done :D
Brake lever was quite easy especially knowing that that it had pins i had to be careful of. The screw took some time to get out with those umm, cables(?) running above it. Tested it to make sure the brake light came on and made sure it wasn't locking up the wheel if it wasn't pulled and it all seemed perfect :)
Clutch side was easy with the cable undone from the engine side.

Over all it took me more time putting the clutch cable back on than it did to change both levers but it was totally worth it. Did a few 'laps' around the parking lot to make sure all was fine and adjusted my levers to what I think I'll like once I get riding daily :)

32703922_10155247411876441_305019837103472640_n.jpg

Hondaeverything

CBR650F ABS
Jun 8, 2018
So I got my new levers in the mail today. It all seems pretty easy to swap but before I go ahead and break something, I wanted to check here first since it's my first time.
I did read here somewhere that they had to be specific to our bike so that's what I got.

What I'm most concerned about is as follows:

-Should the screw that holds each lever be tight?
-Should I be greasing anything?
-Do I need to undo the clutch cable or will it come right out?
-Is it really as easy as pulling it out and putting the new one in?

I'm probably missing something else but feel free to enlighten me :)

What levers did you get? I was looking to replace mine and wanted something that looks good and comfortable to ride with.

Road Hog

CBR650F ABS
May 4, 2017
Thailand
I went for the more costly ones,Bikers brand, made in thailand,cost about 100 usd. These fitted perfectly and
made just for the cbr650f. I had these on 3 years now and they look and feel like new. My levers were so good that
i had no problem getting my rear set from the same manufacture and shifting has never been easier.

aikibudo1

CBR650F
May 8, 2022
Riding Since
All done :D
Brake lever was quite easy especially knowing that that it had pins i had to be careful of. The screw took some time to get out with those umm, cables(?) running above it. Tested it to make sure the brake light came on and made sure it wasn't locking up the wheel if it wasn't pulled and it all seemed perfect :)
Clutch side was easy with the cable undone from the engine side.

Over all it took me more time putting the clutch cable back on than it did to change both levers but it was totally worth it. Did a few 'laps' around the parking lot to make sure all was fine and adjusted my levers to what I think I'll like once I get riding daily :)

View attachment 1650
How those levers holding up?...you know everyone would say buy high dollar

Top Bottom