• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

HELP! Oil drain plug fell out on highway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsho79

CBR650R ABS
Oct 14, 2021
Riding Since
Happened yesterday. I was cruising right along without a care in the world when suddenly I lost power and heard a loud "pop". Luckily I was just passing an off ramp so I swerved onto the ramp and basically coasted to a stop a couple hundred yards away. Bike was smoking pretty good from what I realized was oil everywhere. It was all over the tire, fender and rear seat. Luckily I didn't loose it and wreck. Oil was just pouring out and I couldn't see where from for a couple minutes. Once the smoked cleared I started feeling around looking for the source of the leak. That's when I noticed my drain plug was missing. I just bought her! She's a 2021 CBR650R with only a little over 800 miles on the clock! I bought her brand new without a single mile on the clock. Paid cash for her as a reward to myself for busting my ass the past two years starting up my new company. I called for a Lyft and found a drain plug at a nearby Napa along with some oil at a shop. After putting on the new plug and filling her with oil, I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. She started right up but without a doubt now has a very loud tick that is heard throughout the entire rpm range.

Because of the hour and my location, I didn't have much of a choice but to ride her home which was about 15 miles or so. I didn't want to drive her but I had to. No noticeable lack of power, smoke from the exhaust or other symptoms of damage...except for the loud tick. And when I say tick, I mean TICK.

How screwed am I? Am I screwed as I think I am? Anyone have anything like this happen to them? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

-J

mcphatty

CB650R
Jul 5, 2020
If I found myself in the same situation, I'd be taking it to a shop for a teardown to examine for damage. First things that come to mind that I'd be concerned about would be the piston rings and the cylinder sleeves. If they were scored, you could suffer from blow-by resulting in lower compression on some cylinders than others. The ticking you were hearing was likely the valves opening and closing without the presence of oil.

You may be okay- but generally I would think it's not good for the engine to run for any amount of time without oil, especially while it's still breaking in.

jsho79

CBR650R ABS
Oct 14, 2021
Riding Since
Happened yesterday. I was cruising right along without a care in the world when suddenly I lost power and heard a loud "pop". Luckily I was just passing an off ramp so I swerved onto the ramp and basically coasted to a stop a couple hundred yards away. Bike was smoking pretty good from what I realized was oil everywhere. It was all over the tire, fender and rear seat. Luckily I didn't loose it and wreck. Oil was just pouring out and I couldn't see where from for a couple minutes. Once the smoked cleared I started feeling around looking for the source of the leak. That's when I noticed my drain plug was missing. I just bought her! She's a 2021 CBR650R with only a little over 800 miles on the clock! I bought her brand new without a single mile on the clock. Paid cash for her as a reward to myself for busting my ass the past two years starting up my new company. I called for a Lyft and found a drain plug at a nearby Napa along with some oil at a shop. After putting on the new plug and filling her with oil, I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. She started right up but without a doubt now has a very loud tick that is heard throughout the entire rpm range.

Because of the hour and my location, I didn't have much of a choice but to ride her home which was about 15 miles or so. I didn't want to drive her but I had to. No noticeable lack of power, smoke from the exhaust or other symptoms of damage...except for the loud tick. And when I say tick, I mean TICK.

How screwed am I? Am I screwed as I think I am? Anyone have anything like this happen to them? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

-J
Thanks for the advice. That was basically what I was thinking as well. While I know I wasn’t bone dry when I managed to pull over as she continued to drain for a minute or two, she definitely didn’t have all she needed in terms of lubrication.
I more or less figured I was screwed, but I was hoping for some light at the end of the tunnel. Guess to the shop she’ll go. It just crushes me to know she’s hurt, and at such a young age! She’s too young and innocent to have to be pocked and prodded! Oh well, it’s too late now. The damage has been done. I’ll follow up after I get her checked out. Any idea as to what that normally runs? How difficult would it be to do it myself?
I’m more then proficient when dealing with cars. Doing an engine or tranny swap is cake, so is a complete engine rebuild. I’ve done several all without a hitch, but I’d be lying if I said I had any experience dealing with a 4-stroke… is it even worth risking?

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
If there was still oil pouring out steadily you might be ok. I'm trying to wrap my head around how this is even possible though. A loose drain plug is going to leak and in order to be loose enough to vibrate out it should have had a pretty heavy leak. Is there any reason someone would have the incentive to loosen your drain plug out of spite? I honestly can't think of any other reason it would be loose to the point of coming out on its own.

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
Thanks for the advice. That was basically what I was thinking as well. While I know I wasn’t bone dry when I managed to pull over as she continued to drain for a minute or two, she definitely didn’t have all she needed in terms of lubrication.
I more or less figured I was screwed, but I was hoping for some light at the end of the tunnel. Guess to the shop she’ll go. It just crushes me to know she’s hurt, and at such a young age! She’s too young and innocent to have to be pocked and prodded! Oh well, it’s too late now. The damage has been done. I’ll follow up after I get her checked out. Any idea as to what that normally runs? How difficult would it be to do it myself?
I’m more then proficient when dealing with cars. Doing an engine or tranny swap is cake, so is a complete engine rebuild. I’ve done several all without a hitch, but I’d be lying if I said I had any experience dealing with a 4-stroke… is it even worth risking?
I'm going to go ahead and assume this is all BS. If swapping a tranny or engine was a piece of cake you wouldn't be here asking about the issues caused by running out of oil. Red flag alert is the comment about 4-strokes. lol

jsho79

CBR650R ABS
Oct 14, 2021
Riding Since
If there was still oil pouring out steadily you might be ok. I'm trying to wrap my head around how this is even possible though. A loose drain plug is going to leak and in order to be loose enough to vibrate out it should have had a pretty heavy leak. Is there any reason someone would have the incentive to loosen your drain plug out of spite? I honestly can't think of any other reason it would be loose to the point of coming out on its own.
Funny you should say that as I’ve been thinking the same thing. I did the oil change myself at 636 miles. I clearly remember tightening the new K&N filter to 19ft lbs and then torquing the drain plug bolt to 22ft lbs. - I checked it twice as I kind of have some ocd when it comes to anything mechanical. So I know it was done right. I also don’t have a garage so I extended my carport to give her some shelter. In doing so I poured a fresh slab of concrete which to this day doesn’t have a single drop of oil on it. As I mentioned, I started up a company a few years ago and have been steadily growing it ever since. It’s been so successful that I just opened up a second location about 2 hours north of where I live. So I basically split the week between both locations. The point is that I’m not really home every day. I did have a lock on the throttle and clutch to avoid her being stollen, but she still is outside and accessible even if she is protected from the elements. My girl and I did just go through a rather rough break up/makeup week because of me being gone so much, but she’s a church going, god fearing Catholic who wouldn’t know what a drain plug was if it hit her in the head. So I know she had nothing to do with it, however I’m not so sure about the guys who are always hovering around her. She’s absolutely amazing and attracts a lot of attention. There are quite a few guys she knows either through work, church, the gym or wherever that are madly in love with her. Makes me wonder….
I drove almost 200 miles without leaking a single drop of oil and then my first ride after arriving back in town this happens. Seems fishy but I was chalking it up to me being paranoid. That is until you mentioned it…

jsho79

CBR650R ABS
Oct 14, 2021
Riding Since
I'm going to go ahead and assume this is all BS. If swapping a tranny or engine was a piece of cake you wouldn't be here asking about the issues caused by running out of oil. Red flag alert is the comment about 4-strokes. lol
Well you are of course entitled to your opinion of course. Not sure why anyone would want to make up such a story, but I guess it is possible for someone to do so.
As I said, cars are my thing and that’s all I’ve ever worked on. I’ve owned a few bikes but have never serviced them myself. Mostly because I had them while I was stationed overseas while in the military. Service was so cheap that it was dumb not to have it done at a shop, which is what I always ended up doing. This is my first bike stateside so I’ve never had the opportunity or need to work on a bike. At least until now. While I’ve been working on cars my entire life, I’ve never touched a motorcycle engine. I understand all engines work in the same principle, they are two completely different things. I have no shame in admitting my lack of experience with my bike. I’m by no means a no it all which is why I reached out to you all.

I’m not here to go round and round with you or anyone else, I’m just speaking the opinion of others. As I said, she was still pouring oil once I stopped and she started up without a hitch and drove completely fine the entire ride home. That’s something a car would not do in the same situation.
However if you still doubt my story, perhaps this might make you a believer. I don’t lie.

Here’s a pictures of my registration. Notice the legal owner is the same as the registered owner. You can also see the date it was issued as well as the bike model.

Attachments

• 0CB24850-6AC3-4A07-A449-FC92A10F1793.jpeg
    0CB24850-6AC3-4A07-A449-FC92A10F1793.jpeg
    949.5 KB · Views: 26

jsho79

CBR650R ABS
Oct 14, 2021
Riding Since
Well you are of course entitled to your opinion of course. Not sure why anyone would want to make up such a story, but I guess it is possible for someone to do so.
As I said, cars are my thing and that’s all I’ve ever worked on. I’ve owned a few bikes but have never serviced them myself. Mostly because I had them while I was stationed overseas while in the military. Service was so cheap that it was dumb not to have it done at a shop, which is what I always ended up doing. This is my first bike stateside so I’ve never had the opportunity or need to work on a bike. At least until now. While I’ve been working on cars my entire life, I’ve never touched a motorcycle engine. I understand all engines work in the same principle, they are two completely different things. I have no shame in admitting my lack of experience with my bike. I’m by no means a no it all which is why I reached out to you all.

I’m not here to go round and round with you or anyone else, I’m just speaking the opinion of others. As I said, she was still pouring oil once I stopped and she started up without a hitch and drove completely fine the entire ride home. That’s something a car would not do in the same situation.
However if you still doubt my story, perhaps this might make you a believer. I don’t lie.

Here’s a pictures of my registration. Notice the legal owner is the same as the registered owner. You can also see the date it was issued as well as the bike model.
Here’s one showing the mileage of my bike. If someone wants to key me in on how to upload a video, I’d be more then happy to do so. As I said, I don’t lie. I have no reason to lie.

Attachments

• 434D667C-8EE1-4A27-92F9-2943E0AD903E.jpeg
    434D667C-8EE1-4A27-92F9-2943E0AD903E.jpeg
    555.3 KB · Views: 22

mcphatty

CB650R
Jul 5, 2020

I've faced a similar oddity in the past- but it was on a 25 year old Goldwing. Riding through my neighborhood on a very leisurely cruise, the drain plug literally broke into two parts- the threaded part of the bolt fell into the oil pan while the cap fell onto the ground somewhere, and my oil just poured out all over the road. I attributed it to thermal expansion of a 25 year old bolt. Clearly age isn't a factor in OP's case here, but just though I'd share that these kind of strange things can happen.

jsho79

CBR650R ABS
Oct 14, 2021
Riding Since
I’m 43 years old and in my lifetime I’ve seen all kinds of strange things happen. Personally I suspect foul play but have no way to know for sure. However that’s not what this is about. I’m asking for advice from anyone who has dealt with such an issue. I already expect there to be some internal damage, my question is more about how much is this going to cost me more then anything. I have no idea on pricing for motorcycle engine work. Surely it can’t be the same as a car.

Mcphatty, how bad was the damage on your bike when it happened to you? Scored cylinder? To me mine doesn’t sound like anything is rubbing, it almost sounds like it’s a valve or lifter

mcphatty

CB650R
Jul 5, 2020
I didn't have any damage on my bike other than replacing the missing bolt. However, I turned off the bike as soon as I noticed (almost immediately), and towed it home on a trailer.

As far as price- I wouldn't expect cheap. An engine teardown is pretty involved and will most likely not be covered under warranty. If I had to guess, I'd say over $500, but under $1000.

jsho79

CBR650R ABS
Oct 14, 2021
Riding Since
Under a $1000! You just made my day. I was thinking more in the line of double or triple that. The dealership still owes me $500 bucks from the deposit I put down on the new R7. I waited two months and it didn’t show. I got impatient and went to the dealership to inquire about it. Was told they had no idea when it would arrive because of Covid delays. That’s when I saw the CBR650R and bought it. So that’s half the cost right there. I’d be happy if I could fix this mess for $3000. Guess it depends on how bad things are and the cost of parts

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
If this is truly an accident it should be covered under warranty. However, I suspect the dealership is going to push back hard on this claim.

Most shops aren't going to want to do a full engine rebuild and will likely push you to replace. There really aren't many true builders left these days and even then by the time you spend labor hours diagnosing the damage it might be more effective to just replace with new and move on. Just my $0.02

Last edited:

mcphatty

CB650R
Jul 5, 2020
Well don't go quoting me on that- I could be wrong. And if there is damage, that price tag could go up very quickly.

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
I skimmed most of the replies above in the interest of time only so I would get right to your question. “Ticking” is generally valvetrain damage and “knocking” is generally crank/rod/piston issues. most likely your lifters/camshaft got scored from oil starvation and high heat. Tear down would confirm.

67ratrag

CB650R ABS
Oct 15, 2021
Riding Since
I'm suspicious also. New bike under warranty. Why would your first thoughts be of rebuilding it yourself? My first act would have been to contact the dealer. That should have been item #1. Did you change the oil yourself after break in, dealer do it, yet to be done? Who was the last person with their hands on the drain plug? I would think the first post would have been the dealer's response to this incident. Covered? Arguing they are not responsible? Them deciding for an inspection first and a diagnosis after a look see? I don't get it.

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
Riding Since
I'm suspicious also. New bike under warranty. Why would your first thoughts be of rebuilding it yourself? My first act would have been to contact the dealer. That should have been item #1. Did you change the oil yourself after break in, dealer do it, yet to be done? Who was the last person with their hands on the drain plug? I would think the first post would have been the dealer's response to this incident. Covered? Arguing they are not responsible? Them deciding for an inspection first and a diagnosis after a look see? I don't get it.
Right! The OP here is the only person I've ever heard of that is capable of swapping engines and tranny's and even complete rebuilds, but has no experience with 4 strokes... Will also be the only person of that mechanical ability that meticulously torques an oil filter. Far too many inconsistencies. The original story posted here bears and uncanny resemblance to a redit post from 2017.

I would ask that the admins lock this post to prevent further discussion. This clearly can't be a serious post from someone looking for legitimate assistance.

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
Thanks Brammers @Brammers for getting in front of this potential train wreck. One note to those who were commenting on going back to the dealer and getting recourse: OP said this:

I did the oil change myself at 636 miles.

The likelihood of a dealer submitting a warranty claim is low after you make that admission. They will assume you did not properly torque the drain plug. It‘s now he said-she said pingpong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom