Had my first experience at the track yesterday.

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
Some time ago I signed up for a motorcycle circuit training. Was originally going to take place at the motorcycle practice circuit of the Dutch police force, but due to COVID-19 that has been shut down and the organization I booked with offered me an alternative: go to the F1 circuit of Zandvoort instead, at no added cost. Yes please, where do I sign?! :D

So this was a guided track riding experience with coaching. There were various groups of differing speed and experience levels. Having never ridden on a track, I signed up for a beginner group. We got 4 sessions of 15 minutes each with 15 minutes of coach feedback in-between each session. I was kind of nervous, not sure what to expect. At first, I felt the pace was kind of fast but after the first two laps or so, I got into it and I started feeling comfortable.
We never went really fast (top on the straights didn't peak above 130kmh or so, but this allowed us to work on the technique a bit (body position). As the sessions progressed, I felt things could go a bit faster, but not everyone in my group kept up when pace did increase so that held things a bit back. There were really fast groups as well mind, but there were good rules about overtaking/being overtaken by groups so that went really smooth.

Anyway, looking from the outside in, it may not seem like much (especially when you look at the pics which are decidedly not knee-down 😅) but at moments it felt like I was flying 😄
Definitely gonna sign up for another one of these, in a slightly faster group (got the feedback I was ready for a faster group, so yeah). I can recommend doing something like this to anyone. Riding on a track is so unlike riding in traffic, it's amazing. And one of these guided training events really takes away the uncertainty and scariness of a track for a beginner like me.

leukopdefoto_1246929.JPG

leukopdefoto_1247083.JPG

leukopdefoto_1247145.JPG

leukopdefoto_1247263.JPG

Fish & chips at the Zandvoort seaboard afterwards :)
food.jpg

Danny Linguini

CB650R
Apr 26, 2020
Riding Since
Don’t have to drag knees to have fun, and it definitely sounds like you had fun! And on a F1 circuit to boot? Not bad!
Very nice pics - thanks for sharing!

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
My first track day improved my riding more in 8 hours than my first 15 years of street riding did. I was suddenly "faster" but much more importantly, more in control than I ever had been. And those skills I learned that first time still affect my riding 20 plus years later.

Glad you had a blast, it's quite addicting :)

Dankotaru

CBR650R ABS
Jul 5, 2019
7000' ASL, USA
That's awesome, good for you getting some track time on a great track! And yes, track time is so much better than street riding. Please post some more pics when you get back out there with the next run group!

Rafe

CBR650R ABS
Oct 1, 2019
United Kingdom
As a Verstappen fan I bet it was great to go to Zandvoort!

Sounds like you had a great day. Something definitely on my bucket list to do next year after I'm had a bit more time with the bike.

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
Don’t have to drag knees to have fun, and it definitely sounds like you had fun! And on a F1 circuit to boot? Not bad!
Very nice pics - thanks for sharing!

Yeah I had so much fun. I was exhausted afterwards though. The opportunity to move over to Zandvoort was a no-brainer.
They also do events like this at the TT circuit at Assen, which is like the holy grail for Dutch motorcycle sports, so I definitely would like to go there some time as well.

My first track day improved my riding more in 8 hours than my first 15 years of street riding did. I was suddenly "faster" but much more importantly, more in control than I ever had been. And those skills I learned that first time still affect my riding 20 plus years later.

Glad you had a blast, it's quite addicting :)

I mostly learned to truly trust the bike. I pushed her further than I had ever done before (managed to downsize those chicken strips in the process :)). By trusting the bike more, I can trust myself more and just use that newfound trust as an additional safety margin. Sounds a bit lame to put it that way, I guess, but it's the sensible approach.

That's awesome, good for you getting some track time on a great track! And yes, track time is so much better than street riding. Please post some more pics when you get back out there with the next run group!
I will! I was supposed to go with my brother, but he couldn't make it on this date after the event got rescheduled. So we'll definitely so this again together some day.
I had intended to bring my camera with me to capture some onboard footage. Even ordered a RAM Mount adapter so I could fit it to my stem mount. I had all the accessories with me, but accidentally left the camera itself on the counter at home plugged in to wall socket to recharge the battery. Doh! :(

Chips look nice.
They were tasty! Bloody seagulls cheekily eyeing your food everywhere though. Damn flying rats. Oh well, goes with the sea I guess.
As a Verstappen fan I bet it was great to go to Zandvoort!

Sounds like you had a great day. Something definitely on my bucket list to do next year after I'm had a bit more time with the bike.
Do it, you won't be disappointed. There's supposedly a lot of great tracks in the UK.

Rafe

CBR650R ABS
Oct 1, 2019
United Kingdom
Do it, you won't be disappointed. There's supposedly a lot of great tracks in the UK.

I live round the corner from Brands Hatch and did a single seater day there a few years ago. We only did the Indy circuit but it was an immense experience. The first corner Paddock Hill Bend is insane. The drop down and up the hill towards Druids is incredible. I got the fastest lap of the day too ;)

The problem I had (similar to yours) is that you're limited to the slowest driver/rider. I am experienced in racing karts so when you get randoms on track who don't know a lot about racing they slow you down big time so you rarely get an opportunity to push hard. I backed off for a whole lap to build a big gap and in a 20 minute session, I only got one opportunity for a flying lap.

chunky899

CB650R ABS
Jun 16, 2020
Haverhill, Suffolk
Riding Since
Looks like you had a good time man! I've done many track days in cars and many different tracks including road trips to Germany for the Nurburgring and its environment, but I've never ridden a bike on track and would like to do so! I'll be sure to book some up along with some guidance and training!

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
Was originally going to take place at the motorcycle practice circuit of the Dutch police force, but due to COVID-19 that has been shut down
The police training circuit has reopened for public events so the moto training organization has added a few dates there to the calendar. I signed up for October 11th, to have a go there.. :D

I've got the feeling I'm gonna be doing days like this twice a year. It's addicting.

baloo2650

CB650F ABS
May 14, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Riding Since
The police training circuit has reopened for public events so the moto training organization has added a few dates there to the calendar. I signed up for October 11th, to have a go there.. :D

I've got the feeling I'm gonna be doing days like this twice a year. It's addicting.
I think I mentioned this before, track days are a dangerous thing... I'm really glad you went for it!

baloo2650

CB650F ABS
May 14, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Riding Since
Yeah I had so much fun. I was exhausted afterwards though. The opportunity to move over to Zandvoort was a no-brainer.
They also do events like this at the TT circuit at Assen, which is like the holy grail for Dutch motorcycle sports, so I definitely would like to go there some time as well.

I mostly learned to truly trust the bike. I pushed her further than I had ever done before (managed to downsize those chicken strips in the process :)). By trusting the bike more, I can trust myself more and just use that newfound trust as an additional safety margin. Sounds a bit lame to put it that way, I guess, but it's the sensible approach.

I will! I was supposed to go with my brother, but he couldn't make it on this date after the event got rescheduled. So we'll definitely so this again together some day.
I had intended to bring my camera with me to capture some onboard footage. Even ordered a RAM Mount adapter so I could fit it to my stem mount. I had all the accessories with me, but accidentally left the camera itself on the counter at home plugged in to wall socket to recharge the battery. Doh! :(

They were tasty! Bloody seagulls cheekily eyeing your food everywhere though. Damn flying rats. Oh well, goes with the sea I guess.

I remember the same thing, first time I did a trackday on my old CBR600. It's really fun to ride your bike and find out that it will do things you didn't think were possible! My first time on a track (after a race school weekend) was at Mosport, -the original Canadian GP track. -And it's fast! I still remember getting off the bike after my first session and not being able to sit down, remove leathers, talk... It's something that can't be explained until you've done it.

Last edited:

baloo2650

CB650F ABS
May 14, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Riding Since
I live round the corner from Brands Hatch and did a single seater day there a few years ago. We only did the Indy circuit but it was an immense experience. The first corner Paddock Hill Bend is insane. The drop down and up the hill towards Druids is incredible. I got the fastest lap of the day too ;)

The problem I had (similar to yours) is that you're limited to the slowest driver/rider. I am experienced in racing karts so when you get randoms on track who don't know a lot about racing they slow you down big time so you rarely get an opportunity to push hard. I backed off for a whole lap to build a big gap and in a 20 minute session, I only got one opportunity for a flying lap.
There's usually rules about where to pass, until you feel ok moving up in rider level, that's a good idea. Back off for a bit and see if you can wind back in on the rest of your group.

Top Bottom