• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CBR650R Got the Quick shifter installed

Patent

CB650R ABS
May 19, 2020
Riding Since
I'd agree with iStill @iStill , the OEM quickshift isn't nice to use unless you're actively accelerating or at higher revs.
I must admit I don't use mine often, but I always appreciate having it when I call on it

Motojack

CBR650R
May 26, 2019
Finally got this installed. I followed the instructions but I find the clutch pedal very high now.

The only way I can think to lower this pedal to take it out of the spec of 270mm on the sensor bolt to pedal pivot bolt. Is there any issues doing this?

I would assume the adjustment on the tie rod is just for pedal height or is there more to it?

The instructions tell use to adjust the tie rod nuts to their upper limit which is interfering with my down shifts.

iStill

CB650R ABS
Feb 17, 2022
Riding Since
Finally got this installed. I followed the instructions but I find the clutch pedal very high now.

The only way I can think to lower this pedal to take it out of the spec of 270mm on the sensor bolt to pedal pivot bolt. Is there any issues doing this?

I would assume the adjustment on the tie rod is just for pedal height or is there more to it?

The instructions tell use to adjust the tie rod nuts to their upper limit which is interfering with my down shifts.
You can get the adjustment out of the spec, I went till 279mm but as stated somewhere when you change the distance the angle of the force applied changes too and can alter the way you feel the shifts.

That’s why I prefer the shifting Controll unit.
Set it at 278mm and see if you like!

Motojack

CBR650R
May 26, 2019
You can get the adjustment out of the spec, I went till 279mm but as stated somewhere when you change the distance the angle of the force applied changes too and can alter the way you feel the shifts.

Thanks. Missed that post cheers. I'll give it a go.
Down shifting is horrible with the peddle so high.

Motojack

CBR650R
May 26, 2019

I changed it to around 285mm and took it for a ride.

I'm not noticing any huge differences with engagement of the gears and it feels exactly how it was before the QS was installed. Maybe I'm less sensitive to the engagment of the gear or my technique already accommodates for the descrepency.

All good now either way. Odd that the instruction manual had you set it so high? I dont even have big feet so I'm not sure who made that decision.

MotoDonner

CB650R ABS
Feb 10, 2021
Riding Since
I changed it to around 285mm and took it for a ride.

I'm not noticing any huge differences with engagement of the gears and it feels exactly how it was before the QS was installed. Maybe I'm less sensitive to the engagment of the gear or my technique already accommodates for the descrepency.

All good now either way. Odd that the instruction manual had you set it so high? I dont even have big feet so I'm not sure who made that decision.
The manual probably has it so high because it's the default position if the quickshifter isn't installed.

So the quickshifter manual tells you to get that value "back to stock".

I skipped that adjustment entirely. I measured the distance from floor to pedal before removing it (had it changed before the quickshifter already)

Installed the quickshifter and set the distance to be the same as before, no problems...

Motojack

CBR650R
May 26, 2019
The manual probably has it so high because it's the default position if the quickshifter isn't installed.

So the quickshifter manual tells you to get that value "back to stock".

I skipped that adjustment entirely. I measured the distance from floor to pedal before removing it (had it changed before the quickshifter already)

Installed the quickshifter and set the distance to be the same as before, no problems...
My clutch pedal was delivered to me like that when I had the bike purchased brand new.

I guess the mechanics set the height out of OEM spec during the Pre sale inspection.

erminiojr

CB650R ABS
May 23, 2022
Riding Since
I definitely feel your frustration, having paid for something to not have it is a pain in the butt.
If you have a chance to stop at the dealer to have a chat, go ahead since it's way better to talk with someone than over the phone or emails.
Most likely they'll take in consideration a refund since you have been waiting for way too long.
I found a dealer that is going to run diag check on my ECU Friday the 10th, I really hope is just matter of re initialize it or enable it.
Keep you posted and good luck.
Take a deep breath before going there 😅
Hi MrFritz86. Did the ECU remap fixed the quick shifter operation with your motorcycle?

xorbe

CBR650R
Nov 2, 2021
California
Riding Since
Installed my '21 CBR650R quick shifter [edit: tested now, works great!]. Same thing, I took pics of the situation before disassembling, and 269mm looked too high to me, I think I settled approx 275mm as being close to my pics. Sadly I did not take an exact head-on pic, will adjust to taste later if I feel like it. Oof I should have done what M @MotoDonner said, measure floor to lever.

Oh my gosh, I have such a massive urge to also stomp on the shifter, as my Speed Triple/Street Triple are both bi-directional.

Last edited:

MotoDonner

CB650R ABS
Feb 10, 2021
Riding Since
Installed my '21 CBR650R quick shifter [edit: tested now, works great!]. Same thing, I took pics of the situation before disassembling, and 269mm looked too high to me, I think I settled approx 275mm as being close to my pics. Sadly I did not take an exact head-on pic, will adjust to taste later if I feel like it. Oof I should have done what M @MotoDonner said, measure floor to lever.

Oh my gosh, I have such a massive urge to also stomp on the shifter, as my Speed Triple/Street Triple are both bi-directional.
Well nothing prevents you from stomping on the shifter for downshifting too :)

Blip the throttle and shift down :p

Top Bottom