• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

Luggage GIVI ST609 (/SW-MOTECH BLAZE PRO)

JayBeeSea

CB650R
Aug 5, 2021
Riding Since
Hi All,

I'm doing a tour of Scotland for a week in September with my CB650R, so looking into luggage options. I've basically narrowed it down to 2:

The first is the GIVI ST609: https://www.givi.co.uk/givi-products/soft-bags/saddle-bags/st609

and secondly the SW-MOTECH BLAZE PRO: https://sw-motech.co.uk/products/pro-blaze-h-saddlebag-set-honda-cbr650r-cb650r-18-black

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these GIVI cases? I did search the forum but couldn't find any mention of them. From the website they do look pretty nice on the CB1000R. They also have the advantage of the GIVI Easylock system so lock onto the frame. The disadvantage compared to the SW-MOTECH's are the frame that is left on the bike when not in use which isn't the most aesthetically pleasing. The only drawback of the SW-MOTECH's I can really see is that the velcro straps that go over the rear seat would mean that any tail bag used also has to be removed to remove the side cases.

Discussion and feedback is much appreciated, thanks!

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Hi All,

I'm doing a tour of Scotland for a week in September with my CB650R, so looking into luggage options. I've basically narrowed it down to 2:

The first is the GIVI ST609: https://www.givi.co.uk/givi-products/soft-bags/saddle-bags/st609

and secondly the SW-MOTECH BLAZE PRO: https://sw-motech.co.uk/products/pro-blaze-h-saddlebag-set-honda-cbr650r-cb650r-18-black

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these GIVI cases? I did search the forum but couldn't find any mention of them. From the website they do look pretty nice on the CB1000R. They also have the advantage of the GIVI Easylock system so lock onto the frame. The disadvantage compared to the SW-MOTECH's are the frame that is left on the bike when not in use which isn't the most aesthetically pleasing. The only drawback of the SW-MOTECH's I can really see is that the velcro straps that go over the rear seat would mean that any tail bag used also has to be removed to remove the side cases.

Discussion and feedback is much appreciated, thanks!
I’ve no experience with the Givi setup but I and several other have run the SW Motech Blaze system without any issue and recommend them highly. I think you really hit on the thing that separate the two systems: do you want to leave the rack on when not in use or not. If you plan to use them often, I’d say go with a permanent mount, if not, the Blaze setup is great because you see almost nothing when they are off the bike.

I personally don’t see having to remove a tailbag to get the saddlebags off as a huge thing because as you pull in for the night you’d most likely not want to leave it on the bike anyway for security reasons. The big issue I thought I’d have with the strap across the seat was my picky passenger and she was fine with them, and it was even better when I had someone add a Velcro strap to the flap area and we used her gel seat pad over the straps.

Another SW option I would consider are the Urban ABS bags, I have them on my Duc and they work great:

For the once or twice I use them the mounts remove in less than 10 minutes and I even ran the bike for a year with the mounts on because they really blended in and were very stout. The bags are kind of an odd shape but very easy to use and hold up great; I paid around $450 or so for mine watching sales compared to the $1,300 or so the OEM Ducati bands are.

Motojack

CBR650R
May 26, 2019
I use the blaze on the cbr no issues.

It does come in contact with my rear cowl but they provide clear tape for contact areas.

If the velcro strap really bothered you I reckon you could DIY it and cut chunks out of it with a Stanley blade so you could lock the seat over the straps. Does not bother me that much to do that!

McGrumpy

CB650R ABS
Mar 27, 2019
Germany
I was traveling with the SW Motech system and very happy with it. Removing the bags takes 5 minutes and fits perfect.
And if you don't need the side pockets, you can pull off the carrier and the brackets stay on the bike.

honda-cb650r-jpg.10798

swmotech01qwj4z.jpg

JayBeeSea

CB650R
Aug 5, 2021
Riding Since
I’ve no experience with the Givi setup but I and several other have run the SW Motech Blaze system without any issue and recommend them highly. I think you really hit on the thing that separate the two systems: do you want to leave the rack on when not in use or not. If you plan to use them often, I’d say go with a permanent mount, if not, the Blaze setup is great because you see almost nothing when they are off the bike.

I personally don’t see having to remove a tailbag to get the saddlebags off as a huge thing because as you pull in for the night you’d most likely not want to leave it on the bike anyway for security reasons. The big issue I thought I’d have with the strap across the seat was my picky passenger and she was fine with them, and it was even better when I had someone add a Velcro strap to the flap area and we used her gel seat pad over the straps.

Another SW option I would consider are the Urban ABS bags, I have them on my Duc and they work great:

For the once or twice I use them the mounts remove in less than 10 minutes and I even ran the bike for a year with the mounts on because they really blended in and were very stout. The bags are kind of an odd shape but very easy to use and hold up great; I paid around $450 or so for mine watching sales compared to the $1,300 or so the OEM Ducati bands are.
Thanks for the detailed reply!
I don't think I will use them often tbh and in the event I need to carry a few things on shorter trips I am probably more likely to just use a tail bag. So the Blaze system sounds the best.
I am looking for soft bags personally rather than the hard case like the URBAN ABS but thanks for sharing those!

I use the blaze on the cbr no issues.

It does come in contact with my rear cowl but they provide clear tape for contact areas.

If the velcro strap really bothered you I reckon you could DIY it and cut chunks out of it with a Stanley blade so you could lock the seat over the straps. Does not bother me that much to do that!
That is definitely a good point! Part of me wouldn't like to cut the straps, but then it is a solution!
Alternatively I guess could padlock the bags. Do the zips have good holes for padlocks do you know?

I was traveling with the SW Motech system and very happy with it. Removing the bags takes 5 minutes and fits perfect.
And if you don't need the side pockets, you can pull off the carrier and the brackets stay on the bike.

honda-cb650r-jpg.10798

swmotech01qwj4z.jpg
Wow the whole system looks great! are these the Blaze PRO panniers too or just the regular Blaze?
The tail bag looks pretty big on the bike now seeing it in a photo like this. Looks like you could fit your lid in it though which is cool (I like your Ruroc lid btw! (Y))
How do you find the tank bag? Does it get in the way at all or are you happy with it?

McGrumpy

CB650R ABS
Mar 27, 2019
Germany
Hi Jay. Unfortunately I have no internet connection this weekend. When the connection works again, I'll send you photos of the SW Motech Set and tell you what I think about it.

btw: It's the Blaze Pro Set.

Best regards

JayBeeSea

CB650R
Aug 5, 2021
Riding Since
Hi Jay. Unfortunately I have no internet connection this weekend. When the connection works again, I'll send you photos of the SW Motech Set and tell you what I think about it.

btw: It's the Blaze Pro Set.

Best regards
Awesome, thanks! I look forward to reading what you have to say when you have more internet :)

Motojack

CBR650R
May 26, 2019
you can remove the bar as well so that you are only left with housings to slide the bar into.

I take the blaze system off with the bars as a set when not in use so you would barely even notice them.

Andy man cam is bit of a salesman but he has a good video about them at around 13 mins he describes the practialities of the system.

Last edited:

McGrumpy

CB650R ABS
Mar 27, 2019
Germany
And here I am again. :bag:

I took a few photos to show the bags better.

hondacb650rswmotechohj7w.jpg

This is the SW Motech Pro Bag system.
The set consists of:

- PRO Micro tank bag (3 to 5 liters) (Link)
- PRO tank ring (Link)

- PRO BLAZE H saddlebag set (15 -20 liters) (Incl. 2 removable support arms) (Link)

- PRO Rearbag tail bag (22 -34 liters) (Link)

swmotech03cskim.jpg

PRO Micro tank bag (3 to 5 liters)

I pushed the upper tank ring all the way to the front so there is room between the ignition lock and the tank bag.
This also had the advantage that space remained for my Quardlock holder and my travel smartphone.

The bag looks very small but there is enough space for a wallet, a smartphone, glasses and a few cereal bars.
And that still without the expansion zipper was needed.

swmotech04jyjhb.jpg

swmotech05uik72.jpg

swmotech07g3kcq.jpg

swmotech069wj3t.jpg

swmotech16buk9g.jpg

PRO BLAZE H saddlebag set (15 -20 liters)

The bags are great. They include waterproof inner bags which do not take up much space.
The bags are pushed onto the support arms and additionally secured with plastic brackets (?).
Above the seat, the whole thing is then fastened with Velcro.

The attachment of the bags takes less than 5 minutes. Totally great!

After my first tour, however, I had to determine a damage to the inner padding.
I figured out that the plastic trim underneath the pillion seat has rubbed there.
I'll see how to prevent this.

swmotech08f2k2t.jpg

swmotech09cejtn.jpg

swmotech17z7kph.jpg

swmotech1525jcx.jpg

PRO Rearbag tail bag (22 -34 liters)

When I first saw the rear bag, I did not believe that this fits on the small pillion seat. But it fits perfect.

It is held by 4 loop straps with lashing hooks where I attached the 2 front strabs to the frame and the 2 rear strabs attached to the loops below the pillion seat.
These are in the perfect position.

The small side pockets had enough room for my second pair of glasses and emergency tools.
There is so much incredible space in the main bag, which also comes with a Waterproof inner bag.
I use it for my clothes, shoes and travel supplies.

And with the size of the bag you even have a small backrest.

swmotech118cjzk.jpg

swmotech12xtk5r.jpg

swmotech135fj58.jpg

swmotech14hljpo.jpg

I am totally thrilled with the system and would buy it again and again. Of course there are also much cheaper sets but I wanted a set that can be assembled and disassembled without much effort. In addition, I found the design really good and have not regretted the purchase.

I hope I was able to provide a small overview. :happy:

btw: Yeah, this is the Ruroc Atlas 3.0 helmet. Incredibly loud when you drive faster. But who wants to race while traveling huh? :D

JayBeeSea

CB650R
Aug 5, 2021
Riding Since

The set consists of:

- PRO tank ring (Link)

- PRO BLAZE H saddlebag set (15 -20 liters) (Incl. 2 removable support arms) (Link)

swmotech03cskim.jpg

I pushed the upper tank ring all the way to the front so there is room between the ignition lock and the tank bag.
This also had the advantage that space remained for my Quardlock holder and my travel smartphone.

The bag looks very small but there is enough space for a wallet, a smartphone, glasses and a few cereal bars.

swmotech04jyjhb.jpg

swmotech05uik72.jpg

swmotech07g3kcq.jpg

swmotech069wj3t.jpg

swmotech16buk9g.jpg

The bags are great. They include waterproof inner bags which do not take up much space.
The bags are pushed onto the support arms and additionally secured with plastic brackets (?).

I figured out that the plastic trim underneath the pillion seat has rubbed there.

swmotech08f2k2t.jpg

swmotech09cejtn.jpg

swmotech17z7kph.jpg

swmotech1525jcx.jpg

When I first saw the rear bag, I did not believe that this fits on the small pillion seat. But it fits perfect.

It is held by 4 loop straps with lashing hooks where I attached the 2 front strabs to the frame and the 2 rear strabs attached to the loops below the pillion seat.

The small side pockets had enough room for my second pair of glasses and emergency tools.
There is so much incredible space in the main bag, which also comes with a Waterproof inner bag.

swmotech118cjzk.jpg

swmotech12xtk5r.jpg

swmotech135fj58.jpg

swmotech14hljpo.jpg

I am totally thrilled with the system and would buy it again and again. Of course there are also much cheaper sets but I wanted a set that can be assembled and disassembled without much effort. In addition, I found the design really good and have not regretted the purchase.

btw: Yeah, this is the Ruroc Atlas 3.0 helmet. Incredibly loud when you drive faster. But who wants to race while traveling huh? :D
WOW! First of all thank you so much for the effort you seem to have put into this sharing your thoughts and review of the product!
I am happy to hear all your positive comments on the bike set. I think I am pretty much set on this luggage now - partly thanks to you!
A little disappointed to see the damage that you had on the side bags. Did this happen on both the side bags or just one? You would think all this talk of ballistic nylon etc from Sw-Motech would mean something like this wouldn't happen.
The rearbag looks great actually and i'm sure the back rest is nice on a long ride.
How many miles/km have you put in with these bags?

Thanks again for your thoughts!

JayBeeSea

CB650R
Aug 5, 2021
Riding Since
you can remove the bar as well so that you are only left with housings to slide the bar into.

I take the blaze system off with the bars as a set when not in use so you would barely even notice them.

Andy man cam is bit of a salesman but he has a good video about them at around 13 mins he describes the practialities of the system.

That is certainly a good video review - mostly to see how he carries them around off the bike and also how much you can fit in! I like how the bags can be brought together off the bike to carry with the handles! Thanks for sharing this video!

McGrumpy

CB650R ABS
Mar 27, 2019
Germany
Do not misunderstand. :smuggrin: The ballistic nylon is without damage. It is a thin rubber protective layer on the upper surface.
But exactly on both sides in the same place is a hole. The nylon underneath is without damage.

But I have already written to SW Motech.
As soon as they get in touch, I'll let you know. :happy:

swmotech20o2kuh.jpg

Uberhouser

CB650R ABS
Jan 23, 2022
Riding Since

The set consists of:

- PRO tank ring (Link)

swmotech03cskim.jpg

swmotech04jyjhb.jpg

swmotech05uik72.jpg

swmotech07g3kcq.jpg

swmotech069wj3t.jpg

swmotech16buk9g.jpg

swmotech08f2k2t.jpg

swmotech09cejtn.jpg

swmotech17z7kph.jpg

swmotech1525jcx.jpg

swmotech118cjzk.jpg

swmotech12xtk5r.jpg

swmotech135fj58.jpg

swmotech14hljpo.jpg

I am looking into a similar setup, as it looks really great!
However, I am in doubt as I also came over these awesome bags: Legend Gear tail bag LR2 or the PRO Cargobag tail bag.
With these tail bags I wouldn't be able to have saddlebags, and I wonder if anyone have some insights into the pros and cons?
For instance, traveling for a week - what would be the best option (I have no experience, and don't know what I would prefer).

Top Bottom