• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

Gear indicator wiring

sander

CBR650F ABS
Apr 25, 2018
Norway
Hello! I bought an gear indicator for my cbr650f 2016 on ebay and i'm having problems regarding the installation.

I know that i'm supposed to connect it to the diagnostic plug under my seat, but my issue is that I got the cable and the connector i separate pieces.

Does anyone know how how this should be connected? The ebay seller didn't know....

Attachments

• gear indicator.jpg
    gear indicator.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 82

h0ck3y

CBR650F ABS
Feb 6, 2015
Ontario, Canada
That's bizarre. The popular unit that some of us bought here had the wiring pins already in the diagnostic plug casing. I can somewhat understand that this particular design is easier to wire through the bike without the diagnostic plug, but you should have gotten the pin outs documented somewhere. Does the plug have any labels or grooves that would match the labels on the pins or in the way the pins are constructed so they line up with specific grooves on the plug? Other than that maybe Honda or a Honda Service Guide might be able to help.

sander

CBR650F ABS
Apr 25, 2018
Norway
That's bizarre. The popular unit that some of us bought here had the wiring pins already in the diagnostic plug casing. I can somewhat understand that this particular design is easier to wire through the bike without the diagnostic plug, but you should have gotten the pin outs documented somewhere. Does the plug have any labels or grooves that would match the labels on the pins or in the way the pins are constructed so they line up with specific grooves on the plug? Other than that maybe Honda or a Honda Service Guide might be able to help.

There are no groves or marks on the connector regarding the pin insert. Also two of the cables are black and the last one red if this could be useful.

ADIOS600

CB650F ABS
May 16, 2017
LINCOLNSHIRE
There are no groves or marks on the connector regarding the pin insert. Also two of the cables are black and the last one red if this could be useful.
Are you sure that one of the black wires hasn't got a tracer colour with it. Not that it should be your problem. The seller should sort it,if he cannot then send it back and spend a bit more money on a better one. I personally wouldn't guess on pin positions. Hope this helps you.

Bindir Dundat

CB650F
May 5, 2018
My gear indicator is IDEA. I don't know if it's the same one as you bought but I attached a picture so you can get an idea. From the Honda side, there are 3 wires that are used:
G/I Honda
White---------White
Black----------Green
Red----------Black/White
X----------Brown
3 wires 4 wires

I hope that helps.

Attachments

• 20180913_180606.jpg
    20180913_180606.jpg
    713.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 20180913_180606.jpg
    20180913_180606.jpg
    713.3 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

sander

CBR650F ABS
Apr 25, 2018
Norway
My gear indicator is IDEA. I don't know if it's the same one as you bought but I attached a picture so you can get an idea. From the Honda side, there are 3 wires that are used:
G/I Honda
White---------White
Black----------Green
Red----------Black/White
X----------Brown
3 wires 4 wires

I hope that helps.

Tested it just now and it worked!

Thx for the help guys!

Attachments

• gear indicator 1.jpg
    gear indicator 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 102
  • gear indicator 2.jpg
    gear indicator 2.jpg
    977.9 KB · Views: 93

RoadSafeRider84

CB650F ABS
Jun 13, 2018
Just wanted to say thanks to all those who post helpful info on this site (I would have linked black to black/white!). Satnav and gear indicator successfully wired in to the accessories socket :)

View attachment 2710
I think i should do all three of these upgrades as i keep getting lost (which i mostly dont mind being on the bike), my hands keep getting cold and i keep tapping down again to make sure im defo in first. Mmm, looks pretty good too. 👍🏽

skeletor

CBR650F ABS
Dec 13, 2018
Well, I won't be doing any of that. I would, however, like to mount a sword somewhere and get one of those medieval horse coats fitted. If that falls through, I'll just see if I can fit a bayonet under the seat.

Top Bottom