• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CB650R Flipping the handlebars?

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I don't like the sound of it a bit. How do people secure their aftermarket(or flipped) handlebar and controls then?
As stated above, either grind off the pegs or drill holes.

The controls have only been staked probably the last 10 years or so and were just held by friction dir the 40 years prior, so it’s not all that crazy to think they'll stay on their own.

EuroBadger

CB650R ABS
Feb 18, 2021
Riding Since
As stated above, either grind off the pegs or drill holes.

The controls have only been staked probably the last 10 years or so and were just held by friction dir the 40 years prior, so it’s not all that crazy to think they'll stay on their own.
Thanks... I'm torn between the flipped stock bar and the Woodcraft clip-ons and probably going to pick the one that gives me the least hassle.

Jluu

CB650R ABS
Jul 21, 2019
Thanks... I'm torn between the flipped stock bar and the Woodcraft clip-ons and probably going to pick the one that gives me the least hassle.
Either way you'll have to drill guide holes.

OE bars are steel I believe so it should be strong enough to withstand a new hole or two.

Grinding off the pegs on the controls are a PITA IMO... You need a good dremel and lots of patience.

Drilling new holes can also be bad news if you're not accurate with your measurements.
What I'd do if drilling new holes is to make a template. Wrap a piece of paper around the bar ends and then mark off the existing holes on the paper. Use that template on the new bars. Make sure you use a punch to mark the spots on new bar and work your way up from small drill bits to the right size bit.

Angle is troublesome for handlebars. Too far forward and controls will be pointed to far upwards. Too far backwards, your controls will face downwards which will creat difficulty reaching signals, horn, starter button etc. Luckily with the woodcraft clip ones, you can rotate the bars as they're just clamped on.

Hope that makes sense.

EuroBadger

CB650R ABS
Feb 18, 2021
Riding Since
Either way you'll have to drill guide holes.

OE bars are steel I believe so it should be strong enough to withstand a new hole or two.

Grinding off the pegs on the controls are a PITA IMO... You need a good dremel and lots of patience.

Drilling new holes can also be bad news if you're not accurate with your measurements.
What I'd do if drilling new holes is to make a template. Wrap a piece of paper around the bar ends and then mark off the existing holes on the paper. Use that template on the new bars. Make sure you use a punch to mark the spots on new bar and work your way up from small drill bits to the right size bit.

Angle is troublesome for handlebars. Too far forward and controls will be pointed to far upwards. Too far backwards, your controls will face downwards which will creat difficulty reaching signals, horn, starter button etc. Luckily with the woodcraft clip ones, you can rotate the bars as they're just clamped on.

Hope that makes sense.
Thanks for the clarification. I also find the Woodcraft clip-ons could be handy as you can forget about the angles.

Top Bottom