• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's First Track Day! - Tyres Concern?

MDM650R

CBR650R
Aug 31, 2021
Riding Since
Woohoo! Booked in to get on the track for the first time on Sunday. Not just my first time with the CBR, but my first time ever!

I'm a pretty confident rider, and the CBR absolutely boosts that, however I do have my concerns surrounding tyres..
I know that generally the Dunlop SportMax's are not great tyres, I haven't heard anyone say anything good about them. I for sure have felt them get a little sketchy once or twice, feels like they just don't warm up.

Does anyone have anything to say about this? Should I really be concerned about it?

FYI, I do live in sunny Perth West Australia, it's expected to be 30 degrees (C) so at least the surface will be nice and hot.

They have a Pierlli tyre facility on the day.. Maybe worth an upgrade to Rosso III's?

JRinKtown

CB650F
Jun 30, 2019
I take it you mean the dunlop sportmax 222. If so, then those tires can slip out a tad too easily in my experience with them. Dunlop Sportmax Q3+ on the other hand are exceptional.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Woohoo! Booked in to get on the track for the first time on Sunday. Not just my first time with the CBR, but my first time ever!

I'm a pretty confident rider, and the CBR absolutely boosts that, however I do have my concerns surrounding tyres..
I know that generally the Dunlop SportMax's are not great tyres, I haven't heard anyone say anything good about them. I for sure have felt them get a little sketchy once or twice, feels like they just don't warm up.

Does anyone have anything to say about this? Should I really be concerned about it?

FYI, I do live in sunny Perth West Australia, it's expected to be 30 degrees (C) so at least the surface will be nice and hot.

They have a Pierlli tyre facility on the day.. Maybe worth an upgrade to Rosso III's?
You’ll have no trouble on your first track day provided you air down and watch the tire temps throughout the day. The Dunlops aren’t stellar tires but they are not awful either.

User26

CBR650R ABS
Aug 8, 2019
Riding Since
If your tires are still new, I personally wouldn't buy new tires for your first trackday.
I did 2 (dry) trackdays with these tires without any problems. Just be sure to lower the tire pressure and warm up the tires in the first lap (or 2) and to build up your pace steadily during the sessions.

A friend that joined on my second trackday with the dunlops had Rosso Corsa 2's on his bike. A difference we did notice (visually) was that my tires were wearing out more than the pirelli Corsa 2's at a similar pace.
But if U ride the tires on the street afterwards they will recover just fine.

Tires after a sunny trackday +- 25° (C).
20211113_091750.jpg

MDM650R

CBR650R
Aug 31, 2021
Riding Since
If your tires are still new, I personally wouldn't buy new tires for your first trackday.
I did 2 (dry) trackdays with these tires without any problems. Just be sure to lower the tire pressure and warm up the tires in the first lap (or 2) and to build up your pace steadily during the sessions.

A friend that joined on my second trackday with the dunlops had Rosso Corsa 2's on his bike. A difference we did notice (visually) was that my tires were wearing out more than the pirelli Corsa 2's at a similar pace.
But if U ride the tires on the street afterwards they will recover just fine.

Tires after a sunny trackday +- 25° (C).
View attachment 11354
Yep.. looks exactly like my tyre right now 😅

Top Bottom