• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

First big ride

sdmichael

CBR650F ABS
Feb 10, 2019
San Diego, CA
Riding Since
Wasn't sure where to put this. I went on my first big ride on the new bike, directly following its first maintenance checkup (600 miles but at 530). Rode about 410 miles over the weekend, all over southern California from San Diego to San Bernardino to LA to Corona to San Diego. Lots of fun. Bike be nimble, bike be quick. I enjoyed it just as much at 35 mph as I did at... 110 mph (for about two seconds). Overall, seems a bit sensitive to road issues. Not sure if that is correctable via adjustments. Wasn't a really big issue, just something I noticed.

Riding this bike on the Arroyo Seco Parkway was a whole lot of fun. Did it thrice, twice in a row, last the next day. Only going 65 and still leaning over in my leathers... hehe. I sometimes use that freeway to help practice leaning a bit more. Never dragged a knee and have no intention to do so anywhere. Just getting better with cornering is all.

So, I never doubted I got the right bike for my needs. My needs are a bit different than average, as I don't own a car. Any motorcycle I own has to be able to carry things, which this bike should do well. It was fun. I also experienced all the benefits of my specific suit with my new bike. Had the suit since 2013. It has a hump with an air vent (Dainese Laguna Seca). Never really felt it flow well until I got this. First time I felt it... was about 45-50F.

Last edited:

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
It’s fine here, sorta a ride review. Great review, good thoughts.

I just have to say, what you said is the beauty of the 650F platform and something I’m worried the change to the R versions may lose: the true do-it-all factor. When I had my CBR, I rode it two up, sport touring, commuting, SPORT riding, did a riding school, no track day but I could have. My dad rode it, my buddy rode it, I rode it, it had removable luggage, I took a four day trip with my wife on it..........

The just wasn’t anything that bike couldn’t do on the road.

I moved on not because the bike was bad but because I bought a specific two up sport touring bike and wanted something more sport focused and to thin the herd a bit so I traded two bikes and some cash for the Ducati. Otherwise I’d still have it and still be enjoying it.

Anyway, I digress. Great report, glad you’re liking it. New tires will solve most handling and road weirdness issues, the stock Dunlop’s are only OK.

User2

CBR650F
Oct 23, 2018
Following road imperfections is called trammeling. It comes down to a measure of the tires’ performance and I ageee with Brammers that the stock tires are not the best.

I notice it a bit when riding freshly repaved California Highways “filtering” or lane splitting because each lane was done separately and the seams are not flat. I have a fresh set of Michelin Pilot Road 4s now that I prefer to the stock Done-slops.

Upgrading to a cartridge fork kit from Andreani got rid of the vague steering feeling in downhill tight bumpy turns. I have the Ohlins shock on the rear too which is just fantastic.

Our bikes are reliable and pretty good on gas. They’re pretty narrow so lane splitting is a breeze. With the suspension upgrades my bike is the go to vehicle and the car is just for work days when I have to take someone to lunch.

It seems to me the idea of a Cbr650f as sole source of transportation is a sound one. And the sound out one of these bikes nearing redline is sweet!

sdmichael

CBR650F ABS
Feb 10, 2019
San Diego, CA
Riding Since
I rather look forward to taking Angeles Forest Highway in the late spring. Angeles Crest Highway... fun but tends to be more trouble. Still fun.

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
The suspension upgrade and replacement tires were night and day from stock. Both were a bean-counter compromise and the bike is much better when you knock them off the list of mods.

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
I rather look forward to taking Angeles Forest Highway in the late spring. Angeles Crest Highway... fun but tends to be more trouble. Still fun.

On my list of roads to do. Let me know when you plan it. My mountain passes in Malibu are closed from the fires and mudslides

sdmichael

CBR650F ABS
Feb 10, 2019
San Diego, CA
Riding Since
Trouble with that is most of my rides aren't specifically planned. Last time I took AFH was enroute from my friends in Palmdale to the Los Angeles area. Still, will let you know. By motorcycle, there really isn't a road in the San Gabriel Mountains that U haven't been. Same goes for the rest of southern California.

sdmichael

CBR650F ABS
Feb 10, 2019
San Diego, CA
Riding Since
To a point though. Ortega Highway, for example, carries as much traffic as I-80 over Donner Summit but with only two lanes. Not my idea of a good time. Angeles Forest Highway and, to an extent, Angeles Crest Highway are popular commuter routes. None of which make for a fun ride at times. Glendora Ridge Road has a sign stating that reckless driving is illegal. I haven't seen that sign anywhere else. Proximity to a major populated region definitely has its downsides. Mulholland Highway is no better for all the same reasons.

The roads are fun, when you can find the right time.

Top Bottom