• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650Rs Few questions about my bike

Joshvb

CB650R ABS
Jul 6, 2021
Riding Since
Hey I had a few questions about my bike. I’ve read posts on here about my questions and I just want some extra clarification because I’m super paranoid I’m going to break my new bike.
I recently put a full exhaust system on I’m currently using the bikes o2 sensor should I be worried about it running lean? I’ve taken the baffle out and on decel it has a nice burble to it and on up shifts at high rpm is has a little pop in between shifts. I assume this is normal?
And how noticeable would an exhaust leak be?

Road Hog

CBR650F ABS
May 4, 2017
Thailand
Josh, you did not say what exhaust you put in. But I have been riding my cbr650f since 2014 with 02 sensor in and baffle out since 2014 and never had a problem except you burn a little more fuel with the baffle out. Yours sound good to me, now just have some fun.

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
The pops etc. are fine if it's one or two and only when rolling off throttle. Gear change or otherwise.

I ran mine for ages with an exhaust and the o2 sensor in... No problems and what was 25,000 miles ago!

Relax, its a Honda.

J

Joshvb

CB650R ABS
Jul 6, 2021
Riding Since
The pops etc. are fine if it's one or two and only when rolling off throttle. Gear change or otherwise.

I ran mine for ages with an exhaust and the o2 sensor in... No problems and what was 25,000 miles ago!

Relax, its a Honda.

J
Thanks. I was a bit worried about it that’s all. I need to just relax and enjoy it aha!

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Hey I had a few questions about my bike. I’ve read posts on here about my questions and I just want some extra clarification because I’m super paranoid I’m going to break my new bike.
I recently put a full exhaust system on I’m currently using the bikes o2 sensor should I be worried about it running lean? I’ve taken the baffle out and on decel it has a nice burble to it and on up shifts at high rpm is has a little pop in between shifts. I assume this is normal?
And how noticeable would an exhaust leak be?
You should be just fine lean wise, there are tons of posts telling people this already so no reason to overthink it.

As far as decel pops and burbles, again normal, and depending on the exhaust they will be loud or LOUD. Unless excessive, normal.

As far as an exhaust leak, let me ask first if all if you did what we suggest every single time someone asks, as well as every exhaust manufacture tells you to do this: did you replace your exhaust manifold gaskets? They are single use items, and it doesn’t matter if the bike is brand new, 1 year old, 20 years old, 1 mile or 50,000 miles, if you replace the exhaust, they must be replaced or you very likely will have leakage issues.

Now that I’ve gotten that out of the way, a typical exhaust leak will be most easily detected at idle and will sound like a ticking if it’s a minor leak up to a pop sound if it’s major, and will increase as revs increase. Do not confuse it with the PAIR ticking, however, which on this bike is loud and annoying until 3500 rpm when it should basically stop. That noise should not have changed with the new pipe.

If you replaced the exhaust gaskets, properly torqued all of the mounts, bought a quality exhaust and followed the directions exactly, odds of having a leak will be fairly small.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom