• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650Rs Evotech tail tidy installed

AmpCJ

CB650R
Jul 15, 2021
Riding Since
I’ve finally replaced what IMO is a monstrosity of a backside with an Evotech tail tidy (I also added an Evotech Rad guard too)
The only real issue I had was that I was unable to remove 2 of the under seat mounting bolts. This was due to me having a very cheap Allen key set, in particular the size 8. So I invested in a decent set and they immediately gave way.
It’s quite straight forward really, I just took my time and had it complete in a couple of hours. Quick tip is to reuse the original indicator grommets.
I’ve attached before and after pics.

Attachments

• 111D2F08-5EBD-46A3-A09E-92AC72DFE185.jpeg
    111D2F08-5EBD-46A3-A09E-92AC72DFE185.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 42
  • 100F4EA3-CFC6-4747-B275-0BCA03F1EB7D.jpeg
    100F4EA3-CFC6-4747-B275-0BCA03F1EB7D.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 44
  • 60CB6A16-EE36-43DD-A3EC-03B1C6D77C88.jpeg
    60CB6A16-EE36-43DD-A3EC-03B1C6D77C88.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 43

MotoDonner

CB650R ABS
Feb 10, 2021
Riding Since
I recommend checking the licence plate light regularly, I'm now waiting for my third light as the previous two just decided to stop working
(They stopped working after about a month)

I also recommend checking if the bracket connecting the licence and the tail tidy are tight.
(Plastic screws)

At some point while riding they decided to loosen. The licence plate came down and hit the tire. The tire then decided to roll the licence plate up and destroyed my reflector.

Had to drive home ~60km with the reflector only hanging on one screw and the licence destroyed and always nearly touching the tire. As I couldn't get the crappy plastic screws tight again.

The evotech tail tidy looks sick but the electrical quality and construction is questionable.

For me it's the first an last tail tidy (and maybe even the last thing) I'm going to buy from evotech.

If the next light also dies so fast I'm going to request a refund from them as that is unacceptable in my opinion.

AmpCJ

CB650R
Jul 15, 2021
Riding Since
I recommend checking the licence plate light regularly, I'm now waiting for my third light as the previous two just decided to stop working
(They stopped working after about a month)

I also recommend checking if the bracket connecting the licence and the tail tidy are tight.
(Plastic screws)

At some point while riding they decided to loosen. The licence plate came down and hit the tire. The tire then decided to roll the licence plate up and destroyed my reflector.

Had to drive home ~60km with the reflector only hanging on one screw and the licence destroyed and always nearly touching the tire. As I couldn't get the crappy plastic screws tight again.

The evotech tail tidy looks sick but the electrical quality and construction is questionable.

For me it's the first an last tail tidy (and maybe even the last thing) I'm going to buy from evotech.

If the next light also dies so fast I'm going to request a refund from them as that is unacceptable in my opinion.
I’ve been really impressed with the quality etc so far. I appreciate your own feedback and opinions though and I’ll definitely keep an eye on things.
The original number plate already had plastic screws, which I’ve reused so maybe that may help too 👍

DallasCRX

CB650R ABS
Apr 12, 2021
Riding Since
I'm running into the same issues with the Evotech tidy, only 3 months old. License plate likes to drift lower on one side, which I've band-aided with 3M 2-way adhesive. but just yesterday I noticed my light flickering/not working. Have to wiggle the wiring to get it to stay on. I expect it's only working intermittently while I'm riding. Had a tidy on my Aprilia for years without any issues, but it reused the OEM light so wasn't relying on the Evotech electrical.

Not ideal. Also will be looking for to get replaced under warranty. Will have to look at improving robustness on the new one.

MotoDonner

CB650R ABS
Feb 10, 2021
Riding Since
I'm running into the same issues with the Evotech tidy, only 3 months old. License plate likes to drift lower on one side, which I've band-aided with 3M 2-way adhesive. but just yesterday I noticed my light flickering/not working. Have to wiggle the wiring to get it to stay on. I expect it's only working intermittently while I'm riding. Had a tidy on my Aprilia for years without any issues, but it reused the OEM light so wasn't relying on the Evotech electrical.

Not ideal. Also will be looking for to get replaced under warranty. Will have to look at improving robustness on the new one.
When my third light arrives Im going to put a piece of rubber between the light and the mount piece. I hope it will help

Rafe

CBR650R ABS
Oct 1, 2019
United Kingdom
I had the flickering LED on mine. I only had to crimp the bullet connectors a tiny bit and they became solid again. There were loads of play in them before.

If you grab some electrical tape and wrap the connectors past the bullets and onto the cables it'll help keep everything in place. Bikes vibrate a lot so helping to keep connectors tight will help.

Dontpush

CB650R ABS
Mar 8, 2020
Riding Since
The LED flickering happened to me as well. It's not the lights it's the connection. Either fix the bullet connectors or better yet, solder the wires.... or buy some better non-solder quality wire connectors at home depot.

I soldered the wires and shrink wrapped them and have had no issues again

AmpCJ

CB650R
Jul 15, 2021
Riding Since
As an update, my tail tidy and lights etc are still fine. I keep checking, just in case. It still remains my favourite mod, closely followed by the grip puppies.

Top Bottom