• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CBR650R Engine stutters / won't go above 6000 RPM

gilles

CBR650R ABS
Jul 8, 2019
** UPDATE **

Just got a call from my dealer; they have got an answer from Honda Belgium!
Honda claims it's an upcomming problem/issue with bikes who are 35 kw ( restricted) and have the quickshifter installed.
The restriction and quickshifter interferes somehow in the software/mapping and that causes a stutter as soon the 6k rmp is reached.

Tomorrow I'll bring my bike to them & they're gonne remove the restriction, reinstall it and remap it with new software.
What they will do excactly/change I don't know :oops: but what I know, is that the bike won't be ready untill next week :)

As soon as I have more info to give about this 'new' problem and what the exact solution was, I will post it here!

gilles

CBR650R ABS
Jul 8, 2019
Hellow !

I’m just back from my dealer (only had time this weekend to take it back home)

Problem = solved ✅
—> they removed the restriction complete (software and the smaller air intakes) + quickshifter! Then they’ve build it back on the bike with new software on the ECU. And with that, the problem was finally solved 😅

It’s still fairley new problem as I said, only 2 other bikers in Belgium have this problem reported too.

Guess this is the downside of being an ‘young’ biker that needs to ride restricted bikes 😉

And as you guys said & I expected, it was on their costs.

Thanks for your tips and help!

Gilles

RAFHonda

CB650R ABS
Sep 19, 2019
London, UK
Riding Since
Oh man, after HOURS of scouring the internet for answers and reaching out to multiple dealerships trying to find the solution to exactly the same issue that you've presented, I finally stumbled across this thread. I'm so glad I know what to tell the dealership when they open in the morning. THANK YOU

gilles

CBR650R ABS
Jul 8, 2019
Oh man, after HOURS of scouring the internet for answers and reaching out to multiple dealerships trying to find the solution to exactly the same issue that you've presented, I finally stumbled across this thread. I'm so glad I know what to tell the dealership when they open in the morning. THANK YOU
I'm glad you found this forum/thread ! Hopefully you're dealer has the time to fix it fast cause it's not that healthy for the bike ;)
My bikes runs like a charm now after the fix.
Goodluck at the dealer and let us know when it's fixed :)

RAFHonda

CB650R ABS
Sep 19, 2019
London, UK
Riding Since
I'm glad you found this forum/thread ! Hopefully you're dealer has the time to fix it fast cause it's not that healthy for the bike ;)
My bikes runs like a charm now after the fix.
Goodluck at the dealer and let us know when it's fixed :)

So I contacted the dealer who said that it's very unlikely that the ECU/ECM map is the issue, even after I mentioned that other riders have presented the same issue and Honda have created a fix. They want to contact Honda directly, which is fine, but don't want to entertain the idea that it might be the combination of A2 restrictor and quickshifter.

I just feel like any Honda dealership I go to is so against helping me out with my bike. I hope it's better in Belgium, but I got told yesterday that "No, Honda bikes are reliable. It must be the way you're riding it."

Is there no way that Honda can accelerate this issue and make all dealerships aware instead of dealing with each individual case as it comes to them?

Anyway, it's booked in for Monday and they're gonna take a look at it. Fingers crossed it's not in the garage for ages!

gilles

CBR650R ABS
Jul 8, 2019
So I contacted the dealer who said that it's very unlikely that the ECU/ECM map is the issue, even after I mentioned that other riders have presented the same issue and Honda have created a fix. They want to contact Honda directly, which is fine, but don't want to entertain the idea that it might be the combination of A2 restrictor and quickshifter.

I just feel like any Honda dealership I go to is so against helping me out with my bike. I hope it's better in Belgium, but I got told yesterday that "No, Honda bikes are reliable. It must be the way you're riding it."

Is there no way that Honda can accelerate this issue and make all dealerships aware instead of dealing with each individual case as it comes to them?

Anyway, it's booked in for Monday and they're gonna take a look at it. Fingers crossed it's not in the garage for ages!

Mhhh weird that they don't like the idea of the quickshifter vs the restriction software that is causing the problem..
Maybe you should let them see this post ?

The original software is not the problem, but the software for restricted bike is the problem. The software wasn't adjusted for the quickshifter so to speak.
Restricted bike + without quickshifter = No probs
Restricted bike + quickshifter installed = Stuttering engine
--> only happens if the bike has the quickshifter installed.

My dealer said, that Honda is aware of the problem and that more and more people are reporting it too!
Honda answerd and said what my dealer needed to do & try (see previous post).
They redownloaded the software from the Honda Portal and put it on my bike!

The only thing Honda can do, is making the dealers aware of this problem by sending an email report with the good software..
But for now, I think every dealer still needs to ask Honda what to do.. This problem is just too much unknown/occuring.
A Honda motorcycle Engine is one of the most reliable out there on the market. And if they say it's your fault because you don't ride good, aks them why don't take it for a spin ? They'll will notice quick it's not your fault :)

I hope you get your bike back really soon and that they tell you what the problem was!!
Just so we can look here if the solution was the same as mine was. ;)

Last edited:

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Look at it from Honda’s perspective: how many models do they have, how many dealerships, how many 650s, how many are restricted, how many with a quickshifter, how many restricted with a quickshifter, how many dealers, who FI I send the email to, who will read the emails, how many guys in the shop read the emails? Now go back and say you have to do this for all models from every year. Notifying becomes a hassle, right?

They do have a knowledge base, and TSBs, so you just have to convince the dealer to do something and when they contact Honda it’ll be there. Things get addressed more easily as time goes on and more problems come through the shop. Honestly, as it was first described I was under the impression it was an operator thing as well.

RAFHonda

CB650R ABS
Sep 19, 2019
London, UK
Riding Since
Mhhh weird that they don't like the idea of the quickshifter vs the restriction software that is causing the problem..
Maybe you should let them see this post ?

The original software is not the problem, but the software for restricted bike is the problem. The software wasn't adjusted for the quickshifter so to speak.
Restricted bike + without quickshifter = No probs
Restricted bike + quickshifter installed = Stuttering engine
--> only happens if the bike has the quickshifter installed.

My dealer said, that Honda is aware of the problem and that more and more people are reporting it too!
Honda answerd and said what my dealer needed to do & try (see previous post).
They redownloaded the software from the Honda Portal and put it on my bike!

The only thing Honda can do, is making the dealers aware of this problem by sending an email report with the good software..
But for now, I think every dealer still needs to ask Honda what to do.. This problem is just too much unknown/occuring.
A Honda motorcycle Engine is one of the most reliable out there on the market. And if they say it's your fault because you don't ride good, aks them why don't take it for a spin ? They'll will notice quick it's not your fault :)

I hope you get your bike back really soon and that they tell you what the problem was!!
Just so we can look here if the solution was the same as mine was. ;)

I emailed a screenshot of this thread to one of the mechanics at my local Honda, and he replied saying that he's surprised that he hasn't heard the issue as of yet, especially if Honda UK know about it.

I just can't wait to go out and enjoy it without the fear of losing all power when overtaking a car! :joyful:

Thanks for the info, perhaps I didn't consider how few A2/Quickshifter combination CB650R/CBR650Rs there are out there!

I'll be interested to see if they perform the same fix!

RAFHonda

CB650R ABS
Sep 19, 2019
London, UK
Riding Since
Look at it from Honda’s perspective: how many models do they have, how many dealerships, how many 650s, how many are restricted, how many with a quickshifter, how many restricted with a quickshifter, how many dealers, who FI I send the email to, who will read the emails, how many guys in the shop read the emails? Now go back and say you have to do this for all models from every year. Notifying becomes a hassle, right?

They do have a knowledge base, and TSBs, so you just have to convince the dealer to do something and when they contact Honda it’ll be there. Things get addressed more easily as time goes on and more problems come through the shop. Honestly, as it was first described I was under the impression it was an operator thing as well.

Yeah very true, I guess it's part and parcel with having such a new bike; ironing out the creases.

Coming from riding only 125's and 250's before my jump up to this 650, I immediately assumed it was my fault and put it down to inexperience. Especially when I'm riding a brand known for their reliability.

Thanks for your perspective, I'll update the thread with what the dealership do/say.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Especially when I'm riding a brand known for their reliability.

Very true, but everyone makes mistakes or has an issue at some point. It’s how you deal with them that’s the key.

All honda want to do is sell you the bike they don't care after that

That’s bullshit. You will not find a company that follows up with your extends warranty claims, makes sure you are happy or gives a shit if you buy another one more than Honda.

There are crappy dealers, don’t confuse a dealer with Honda the company. Again, no matter what you do, sell, or build mistakes can and do happen, nobody is prefect, nothing is perfect. It’s how you deal with them that matters.

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
The bikes are good but my experience with the dealers aren't and Ile comment on what I want cheers mate

Such is the life of a business model that relies on dealerships. Just like having kids, they all have their own personalities, quirks and foibles. Some understand customer service, after the sale, so you’ll come back in a few years and buy again. Others just need that quick fix and are happy to move some metal and service be damned.

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Well the 2 honda dealers from my experience are terrible in England.

As you stated above..."dealers"...

Not trying to gang up but I think since every dealership is different AND every country has different parameters for emission restrictions/regulations then you're going to get some issues. Add to that one begins to modify these "set parameters", combined with computerized adjustments, and you're bound to get some operational headaches! And that's for ANY motorcycle brand!!!

In other words, I don't think there's one company that builds a product based on individual country regulations. Its a one-model build and then they try to factor in these other country's parameters, and hopefully they adjust accordingly.

As for Honda...I'm back on one after trying the other brands. I had a perfectly good Kawasaki Versys that I traded in for the ONLY fact that THEIR set-up's and designs had me so angry that I couldn't wait to get rid of it. And that's sad that because of simple "fixes" Kawasaki should have done in the area of basic maintenance was enough to get me to look at their brand last!

Out of all the brands I've owned Honda has been the overall best for me!

Top Bottom