Electric CB...

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
I'd definitely trust the Honda electric technology over the Zero and the Harley's! And the take-off speed on those things have to be balls to the wall!!!

Would be super fun to take on the twisties but, like baugustine stated, they're probably going to be extremely pricey.

quigonquinn

CBR650R
Feb 17, 2020
👎

Not practical for an apocalypse situation, At least I'll still be able to syphon fuel from abandoned vehicles on my escape.
When your battery dies and the zombies come at you, make sure you're with a fat friend.
Idk, solar panels and batteries will probably outlive gasoline. Gas goes bad after sitting for too long :happy:

ducatiman

Vendor
CBR650R
Jul 27, 2019
New York
I'd definitely trust the Honda electric technology over the Zero and the Harley's! And the take-off speed on those things have to be balls to the wall!!!
Would be super fun to take on the twisties but, like baugustine stated, they're probably going to be extremely pricey.

Given some time to refine, if anyone can do, its Honda. Older (though ICE) example, witness iconic VFR series, improved, modernized over many years. New electric tech initially pricey, but the inevitably expanding electric market will eventually create intense competition between the "Big 4"....lowering prices in showroom wars. Once Honda gets in, the others will follow.
Years will be needed to bear that out.....10 20 years from now?

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
👎

Not practical for an apocalypse situation, At least I'll still be able to syphon fuel from abandoned vehicles on my escape.
When your battery dies and the zombies come at you, make sure you're with a fat friend.

I think the Zombie Apocalypse may have started this morning on my way home from surfing: (or I got teleported to Tatooine overnight and it looks just like Ventura except the sun is red 🤭)

8F5B6BFF-E04F-4024-95F2-0DC650772AEA.jpeg

Danny Linguini

CB650R
Apr 26, 2020
Riding Since
I love the idea of an electric bike, just not real excited about the price tags currently. My friend bought a Zero, and I bought two CBRs for the price of his zero and had money left over for gas and insurance.
I had never been too keen on electrics, because at one time I used to go out for many hours at a time, and electric bikes just didn't have the range to get me there and back. But as the years are piling on and the old bones get increasingly creaky, I think those longer jaunts are all behind me. 1-2 hours is about all my backside can stand in one shot, and the newest technologies should easily be able to meet that. So I'm starting to warm up to the idea. Plus, it looks like Honda is taking every step possible to keep the costs down, mostly by reusing anything they can that's already been developed and time-tested instead of engineering something new and purpose-built. So if this thing becomes a reality, I'll be older and creakier and quite willing to give it a closer look. Hopefully the price tag doesn't become a showstopper.

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
I am not convinced electric is the only way forward for engines in the future. According to an article in The Road , magazine by MAG UK ( Motorcycle Action Group- perhaps think of joining if you live in UK and aren't a member ),Formula One racing are developing an eco friendly 2 stroke engine with hydrogen based fuel for completion in the next few years. If F1 are considering it I would think it must be viable and could be used in motorcycles. Electric motors in motorbikes don't have the same appeal for me as internal combustion engines even if they do take off like a rocket from standstill.
ps What happens when the battery in an electric vehicle will no longer hold a charge ,is the vehicle scrapped ? The battery in my pedelec bicycle only had a realistic range of about 16 miles and lasted less than 2 years. The cost of a new battery is probably more than the bike is worth now !
Just saying.

Last edited:

Danny Linguini

CB650R
Apr 26, 2020
Riding Since
I am not convinced electric is the only way forward for engines in the future. According to an article in The Road , magazine by MAG UK ( Motorcycle Action Group- perhaps think of joining if you live in UK and aren't a member ),Formula One racing are developing an eco friendly 2 stroke engine with hydrogen based fuel for completion in the next few years. If F1 are considering it I would think it must be viable and could be used in motorcycles. Electric motors in motorbikes don't have the same appeal for me as internal combustion engines even if they do take off like a rocket from standstill.
ps What happens when the battery in an electric vehicle will no longer hold a charge ,is the vehicle scrapped ? The battery in my pedelec bicycle only had a realistic range of about 16 miles and lasted less than 2 years. The cost of a new battery is probably more than the bike is worth now !
Just saying.
First I’ve heard about this, but it would be very cool. Finally F1 would be doing something globally beneficial. Anything hydrogen I think has the most promise for the long term. The trick is going to be developing a clean and efficient way of producing it and delivering it to the consumer. Being that it’s the most plentiful element on the planet, imagine an affordable system for the home to produce and store your own to meet ALL of your energy needs.

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
Formula One racing are developing an eco friendly 2 stroke engine with hydrogen based fuel
Hydrogen fuel cars are already being developed. Unfortunately though, hydrogen fuel is wildly inefficient. The hydrogen is created by electrolyzing water, which requires large amounts of energy.
Then, the car converts the hydrogen into energy again, with yet another efficiency loss. A fully electric car skips the hydrogen steps and is therefore more efficient.

There's a lot of pro-hydrogen vehicle propaganda going on, but most of the stuff you see about it is actually pushed by oil companies.
The reason is that if everyone goes full electric, the entire oil/gasoline infrastructure (pipe lines, transport, gas stations) become obsolete. By using hydrogen, that entire infrastructure can be used as it is now (except transport hydrogen instead of gasoline).

If F1 are considering it I would think it must be viable and could be used in motorcycles.

Formula-E has been a thing for quite some time now, as has MotoE. Why put more faith in something the FIA "is considering" than something both the FIA and FIM already have?

Electric motors in motorbikes don't have the same appeal for me as internal combustion engines even if they do take off like a rocket from standstill.
Why not? Other than the range anxiety issue, (which will become less and less of a problem as more advancements are made in this area), what's the problem?

If electric is the worst choice of the available technologies, that is what will become popular. I can count on that happening every time.
What kind of weird reasoning is that?

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
Enrico said:
Electric motors in motorbikes don't have the same appeal for me as internal combustion engines even if they do take off like a rocket from standstill.
Why not? Other than the range anxiety issue, (which will become less and less of a problem as more advancements are made in this area), what's the problem?
The character of an electric motor isn't the same as an internal combustion engine. I thought most motorcyclists appreciated that. The different sorts of engines, in line 4, v twin etc The sound of a racing Honda 6 cylinder or a booming Ducati - you will never get that with electric motors.

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
skeletor said:
If electric is the worst choice of the available technologies, that is what will become popular. I can count on that happening every time.
They were pushing diesel not so long ago !

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
There's a lot of pro-hydrogen vehicle propaganda going on, but most of the stuff you see about it is actually pushed by oil companies.
The reason is that if everyone goes full electric, the entire oil/gasoline infrastructure (pipe lines, transport, gas stations) become obsolete. By using hydrogen, that entire infrastructure can be used as it is now (except transport hydrogen instead of gasoline).
You may be right, but no doubt there are a lot of people with their own agenda sort of thing for pushing electric vehicles.

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
'Formula 1 is looking to introduce two-stroke engines that run on eco-fuel by the middle of the decade, as it develops plans to become carbon neutral.
The proposal is said to make the sport greener than electric racing series, such as Formula E, while still using internal combustion engines — with improved sound.
Current F1 hybrid engines will be replaced by a new specification of power unit from 2025 or 2026. It will play a significant role in Formula 1’s project to become carbon neutral in 2030.' Quote from Motorsport magazine.
I don't claim to understand the technology but that is what they are saying.

Danny Linguini

CB650R
Apr 26, 2020
Riding Since
Hydrogen fuel cars are already being developed. Unfortunately though, hydrogen fuel is wildly inefficient. The hydrogen is created by electrolyzing water, which requires large amounts of energy.
Then, the car converts the hydrogen into energy again, with yet another efficiency loss. A fully electric car skips the hydrogen steps and is therefore more efficient.

Formula-E has been a thing for quite some time now, as has MotoE. Why put more faith in something the FIA "is considering" than something both the FIA and FIM already have?

Definitely agree that right now, the biggest problem with hydrogen is finding a cheap and efficient means of producing it. But really, you kind of have the same problem with battery electric. The power to charge them still has to come from somewhere, which is usually conventional electricity generation. Everybody seems to forget that part when extolling the virtues of never having to pay for gas again. Not that I’m against it; fossil fuels are dirty and finite, and they aren’t making dinosaurs any more.

Pretty sure though that whatever the next solution is, we won’t see it universally adopted until the oil companies or somebody else figures out how to hold us all by the balls so they can make astronomical profits off it.

Personally, I think our best bet lies in some kind of series hybrid setup. Everything so far has used the ol’ internal combustion engine to drive the generator, which might be the worst possible option of all of them. I’d love to see somebody experiment with rotary engine, or even a small turbine, or something else no one’s even considered yet, that only has to operate at one speed to crank the generator. Could be powered by anything. I can’t believe alternatives to the norm in this area haven’t been developed yet.

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
Formula 1 is looking to introduce two-stroke engines that run on eco-fuel by the middle of the decade, as it develops plans to become carbon neutral.
The proposal is said to make the sport greener than electric racing series, such as Formula E, while still using internal combustion engines — with improved sound.
Current F1 hybrid engines will be replaced by a new specification of power unit from 2025 or 2026. It will play a significant role in Formula 1’s project to become carbon neutral in 2030.' Quote from Motorsport magazine.
I don't claim to understand the technology but that is what they are saying.
Hydrogen based engines are not internal combustion engines. They use hydrogen fuel cells, which convert hydrogen to energy by splitting the electrons from a hydrogen atom. They don't ignite the hydrogen (despite it being highly flammable, which is another risk with the type of engine) to push cylinders up and down.

Your quote about F1 sounds like they're looking into using bio-fuel like ethanol based fuels or something. I should've picked up on this when you mentioned "two stroke" before, which is a term not associated with hydrogen based engines.

Top Bottom