• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's Dunlop Sportmax 222 vs Sportmax GPR300

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Bought a set of Dunlop Sportmax GPR300's off of Revzilla for $160 for the set!!! I figured that the stock Dunlop 222's have held up pretty well for my "Florida-flat roads" riding. For the price I paid for the new ones, heck, even if they wear out quickly at least I didn't break the bank!

Here's the tire pattern differences between the 222's and the GPR300's. They are a little different whereas the 300's have more of that Michelin PR 2's, judging by the cuts.

We shall see in a few weeks how they feel as I still have some life left in my stocks.

Rear tires:

49695481202_46d4035c48_c.jpg

Front tires:

49694635263_fc718f519d_c.jpg

mikewchandler

CB650R ABS
Mar 14, 2020
Riding Since
I'm interested to hear your thoughts. I just got a nail in my front tire, 1500 miles into my new 2020 cb650r and replaced it with the Sportmax GPR300 as well. I rode the bike home but couldn't really tell a difference. With rain coming the next few days, it'll be a while before i ride again. I'll update you as well.

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
I'm interested to hear your thoughts. I just got a nail in my front tire, 1500 miles into my new 2020 cb650r and replaced it with the Sportmax GPR300 as well. I rode the bike home but couldn't really tell a difference. With rain coming the next few days, it'll be a while before i ride again. I'll update you as well.

Just got around to changing out the tires a few days ago. Have put about 250 miles on them so far. Went through a few 90-degree turns at an easy pace as I was still scratching the new off them (almost got hit by some girl driving towards me who cut into a turn way too low!!!).

So far...they handle decent and I honestly don't feel that much of a grip difference than other tires I've mounted on some of my older bikes. In other words, When I put the new Conti's and Shinko's there was an immediate difference in feeling. These Sprotmax...not so much.

Oh, well. They were cheap and I will ride them out but probably will stick to the Shinko 009 Ravens next. I liked those on my Versys!

mikewchandler

CB650R ABS
Mar 14, 2020
Riding Since
I decided to get the cheaper front tire until it was time to replace my rear tire. I will then probably replace them both with whatever is recommended. Thanks for your thoughts.

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
I decided to get the cheaper front tire until it was time to replace my rear tire. I will then probably replace them both with whatever is recommended. Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm always cheap so...

Seriously, I look for the best quality at the cheapest price! What happens, obviously, is that you have to take away from one trait to add to the other! I've had the Michelin's (the PR 4's when they came out and loved them) and they were expensive but could totally feel a difference in them. Problem was, like you, I didn't get a few thousand miles on them before a 3" nail in the rear. So a friend of mine suggested the Continental Motions as they were cheap but had a really good middle thickness. So, I went with the Conti and, again, felt a big difference right away.
Eventually I tried the Shink Raven's and really liked them on my Versys. IMO they handled very well (took my Versys through The Dragon and Cherahola Pass a few times and they handled great! Not bad for a "less than $120" tire!

So, don't ever be reluctant to go with the cheaper tires! Unless you're doing track days I'd take a Conti or Shinko any day!

mikewchandler

CB650R ABS
Mar 14, 2020
Riding Since
I'm always cheap so...

Seriously, I look for the best quality at the cheapest price! What happens, obviously, is that you have to take away from one trait to add to the other! I've had the Michelin's (the PR 4's when they came out and loved them) and they were expensive but could totally feel a difference in them. Problem was, like you, I didn't get a few thousand miles on them before a 3" nail in the rear. So a friend of mine suggested the Continental Motions as they were cheap but had a really good middle thickness. So, I went with the Conti and, again, felt a big difference right away.
Eventually I tried the Shink Raven's and really liked them on my Versys. IMO they handled very well (took my Versys through The Dragon and Cherahola Pass a few times and they handled great! Not bad for a "less than $120" tire!

So, don't ever be reluctant to go with the cheaper tires! Unless you're doing track days I'd take a Conti or Shinko any day!

Gotcha. Good advice. I've only been riding about 3 years. Just switched over from a cruiser. So, still getting used to cornering and passing people. :) As much as I like getting new tires, and as much as I commute on the bike, I bet I try out several different brands before I settle on one I really prefer.

Thanks again for the insight.

Top Bottom