• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CBR650R Do I need to get my bike checked after heavy hit on front fork/tire?

redacted

CBR650F ABS
Sep 22, 2018
Riding Since
Hi guys.

I messed up today when I was on the road with my bike. I was riding around and I was looking for a specific house because I wanted to visit a friend who moved there recently and wasn't paying attention to the road.

So I went over a speed bump at around 40kmh and I made a jump and almost flipped over the handle bars, but could hold myself to the bike, so I landed back into the seat.

I stopped and checked if there was damage, but there didn't seem to be any. I continued to ride and made some brake checks, steering checks, checked if the handle bar would start to wobble if I take my hands off (they didnt) and also progressively started to ride faster and didnt find anything that wasn't normal, the tire also seems to be normal and has no dents in it. Do you think I need to get the bike checked? What could be wrong? (the bike has 7000KM on it, if it matters)

You can watch the bump here: Bump

Edit: here's a bit of a look on the fork around 10 minutes afterwards (just shifting and looking if the bike feels normal): After the bump - not sure if that helps at all, but I'm kinda scared I just broke the bike.

Cheers

Last edited:

Eaglemoto

CBR650R ABS
Jul 13, 2019
Riding Since
I would say that was fine, you should watch some of the Isle of Man TT to see race bikes going over bumps. If you had hit a kerb it would have been a different matter.

User26

CBR650R ABS
Aug 8, 2019
Riding Since
As Eaglemoto @Eaglemoto says, I don't believe this could give you any trouble. Your suspension should be able to handle more than that. The edges of the bump seemed smooth so normally no problem for the rims or the tyres.

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
The best way to make sure the bike is OK is to take your bike back to where the speed bump is, re-create what you did previous. Only this time...stand up on the pegs a little. Then, twist that throttle, pull the bars backwards and ride out of there on a wheelie.

This way, anyone who noticed will think you did that totally on purpose!!!
icon_rock.gif

jerzy_bondov

CBR650F ABS
Sep 30, 2018
London
If the bike rides true, your forks aren't leaking, there's no (unusual) vibration at any particular speed, there's no undue wobbling of headstock, and your brakes work fine - then I think you're all good. You may have bottomed out the front suspension (fairly hard), but that's not the end of the world.

The Earle

CB650R ABS
Feb 18, 2019
The bike will be fine, that may have felt bad to you but these bikes are so well engineered.

Top Bottom