• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's Discoloured Head

Patent

CB650R ABS
May 19, 2020
Riding Since
Having just cleaned the chain I noticed the head is faded / discoloured. It was definitely fine when I got it, however I did add some muc-off motorbike protector recently.
Has this reacted with the heat?
Can it be undone?
Has it happened for another reason?
Screenshot_20200729_200735_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Patent

CB650R ABS
May 19, 2020
Riding Since
It's a February 2019 so still in warranty but not new. I bought it used two months ago and it definitely wasn't like that when it arrived.
What's likely to cause it?

Patent

CB650R ABS
May 19, 2020
Riding Since
If it's cosmetic I'm not too worried. I only washed it for the first time last week so potentially related. I'm guessing only the head because of the additional heat.
Off to Google if anyone else has had similar issues with those products

JRinKtown

CB650F
Jun 30, 2019
Looks to me like a paint issue from the factory on the cylinder head. Paints can be off-spec when applied. I was in the paint industry for decades so I know it happens. I wonder if Honda will put a new head on for you under warranty.

JDude

CB650R ABS
May 20, 2020
Ottawa
Riding Since
If it was fine before you used a cleaning product then I would speculate that what you used was the cause. What did you use? Was it a detergent of some sort? Detergents attack and separate/remove clear coats that are there to protect the paint. As pointed out above it could have been a factory paint issue that showed up after cleaning as well.

Patent

CB650R ABS
May 19, 2020
Riding Since
I cleaned it with muc off cleaner then added the protector. I did a Google and there's a suggestion the cleaner is slightly caustic which would maybe explain it.
I wouldn't have expected it to change so drastically after 1 use, or at all given its meant for bikes. It's also odd the block looks fine!
I will go take another look later and hope it's maybe caked on residue. You live and learn!

Patent

CB650R ABS
May 19, 2020
Riding Since
Has a quick look in the garage and it appears to be discoloured along the whole head, not just the obvious bits where I cleaned.
Will examine in daylight when I take it out but less inclined to think it's all from washing, so may call honda once I get a proper look

FogDucker

CB650F ABS
Apr 3, 2019
Canada
I cleaned it with muc off cleaner then added the protector. I did a Google and there's a suggestion the cleaner is slightly caustic which would maybe explain it.
I wouldn't have expected it to change so drastically after 1 use, or at all given its meant for bikes. It's also odd the block looks fine!
I will go take another look later and hope it's maybe caked on residue. You live and learn!
How come its only the head if you sprayed it on the whole engine? As far as I can tell, heat will spread through out all the parts.

Patent

CB650R ABS
May 19, 2020
Riding Since
It was just my initial theory based on Occam's razor. Which was oil based protector, head has highest heat, maybe related.
But now I see the whole head is discoloured I'm thinking maybe it's an issue with the paint on the head?
I don't know enough myself and was hoping someone would weigh in. The head still looks "sparkly" despite the discoloration which to me says the metallic paint is still attached? Has it lost the lacquer maybe?

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
That is a distinct part that has had the issue and could be just a bad part (paint finish) at the factory.

As the lower part should have the same finish (a d got cleaned the same by you) you have a good case that the upper part is faulty.

J

JDude

CB650R ABS
May 20, 2020
Ottawa
Riding Since
So after giving a little feed back I took a closer look at my engine. It looks like I have the exact same issue. The top is a matte charcoal and the bottom is a glossy black. If they’re supposed to be the same colour then there was a problem in manufacturing the part. I haven’t cleaned mine or been caught in the rain and only have 3,800km. I’m sure quality control thought it was “good enough“. Never buy a vehicle manufactured on a Monday or Friday...

Patent

CB650R ABS
May 19, 2020
Riding Since
Having looked at the photos I took when I got it, and some random Google images to compare, I think it's meant to be like that :oops:

Top Bottom