• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

Daytona Bike Week 2020...anyone going?

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
I'm going to head over to Bike We...ERRRRRRR....."The Bad Ass Harley Owners Who Trailered Their Bikes Down With Their Leather Costumes" meet-up... on Monday.

Going to stop in Deland first and demo a few Honda's before heading over to the Speedway and demo a Vulcan-S and maybe a V-strom, if they're there.

Give me a shout if you're going to be around the area then!

Last edited:

ducatiman

Vendor
CBR650R
Jul 27, 2019
New York
famous Bike Week quote from a Harley guy on Main St when asked if he's going to the Daytona 200 race at the Speedway on Saturday........

"race? what race?"

Last edited:

ducatiman

Vendor
CBR650R
Jul 27, 2019
New York
That all said, I'd love to be there, but alas..not this year.

And TV coverage has now devolved from free internet fanschoice.tv in past years...to a pay to watch scheme as of this year. . Evidently Fanschoice.TV has been snatched up by NBC, viewing is now being SOLD through NBC Sports Gold "Trackpass". https://www.nbcsports.com/gold/trackpass

After some research...the Flat Track race Saturday night IS covered, I'm seeing NO coverage of the 200 Roadrace Saturday afternoon, free or pay!
Well, they've hit a new low. Zero coverage in 2020. The once world class Daytona 200 roadrace has now hit rock bottom.

Last edited:

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Bike Week sucks!!! (I say this every year but still...I go!)

My day started off lousy, was ready to go by 7:30 but still too dark for my comfort of riding. (Taking the back roads where there's a lot of critters!) So, I left a little after 8:00am (it takes about 2 1/2 hours to get there.) By the time I get to a small town that has a bridge crossing...STUCK!!! They had two lanes coming from different directions trying to get across the bridge and no one was going north bound! I sat waiting for 20 minutes before I turned around, back-tracked for 20 miles, then headed north on some other roads to catch Route 44. That took and extra 45 minutes. :mad:

Then, for a Monday morning, the traffic was horrible. And it wasn't even the motorcycles but the "Blue Hairs" (that's snowbirds that INVADE Florida this time of year) and they were everywhere. If the speed limit is 55, rest assured, they'll be doing 40 in a single lane road. Got stuck behind a ton of them all the way to DeLand.

49641364453_6a409e4f3f_o.jpg

Got to RC Honda in DeLand (about 20 miles away from Daytona but that's where Honda is set up) and got right in to ride a 2020 CB500X. I'm thinking a "bum around town" type of bike and, after the demo ride, this one fits me like a glove!!! We had a decent 20 mile demo ride. The usual speech before about being safe, no hot-dogging, etc... Our leader was about 65 years old. He was a riot. He rode another CB500X and I was right behind him.
We get to a stop sign before a straight-away and he turns to me and says, "Are you ready to get agressive?". He pulls out and guns it, pulling his front tire off the ground about a foot!!! :p At the next stop I reminded him "No wheelies" and he laughed!

Obviously, the CB500X is no CB650F but it's super comfortable, sits perfect, has great wind protection and is geared EXACTLY like my 650F! It felt like I was riding a "mini-650". I really like it and, should I get one, I wouldn't mind taking it for a weekend spree anywhere! It, obviously, doesn't have the power of the 650 but it's one fun ride!

49642160512_ef18c12ba1_o.jpg

As for the rest of Bike Week...still the same at the Speedway - nothing but "bad ass Harley owners"! It's getting old. I mean REALLY OLD!!! They have done it for years but now it's beyond bothering me...when they sit there in a pack at the light, revving their engines. It's so stupid. I swear they're living in this persona of Son's of Anarchy and it's so cheesy.

49641365048_43c371d559_o.jpg

But, I digress...I did see these things. I'm not a fan of the Slingshots but these were pretty cool looking:

49642165182_75d3efa494_o.jpg

49641894396_628914c696_o.jpg

I may ride back over on Saturday morning, as Spring Break starts and I won't feel so rushed. And maybe the traffic will be better so I can ride one of those Vulcan-S'. Nothing really stuck out to me this year, as far as new bikes from any of the big dealers. I do like the new V-stroms although those "beaks" have to go! Other than that, same old, same old.

Top Bottom