Coronavirus Projects

ducatiman

Vendor
CBR650R
Jul 27, 2019
New York
In my temporary possession, a 1996 EX500 in all its 24 year old glory. Carb refurb, f & r brake pads, handlebar swap/repair, full service, get road worthy.
This thing sat outside for 1 year...requiring mucho work...thus enforcing my "social distancing". Note interesting condition of front caliper. There is more, much more but I won't bore y'all.

ge1.jpg
ge6.jpg

ducatiman

Vendor
CBR650R
Jul 27, 2019
New York
The EX completed today, bodywork back on, ready to go home. Tires devoid of air pressure, missing 1 rear brake pad...yup, only 1 there....and down to metal. pulled, cleaned and polished frozen solid brake pistons on both calipers. Mismatched, wacked hardware all around...carbs were badly in need of attention. Starts, accelerates, returns to smooth idle .....even STOPS now! I'll get a pic up later. Owner has himself a fun rider now.

Another EX due the weekend for full service including valve clearances and carb refurb and tuning.
And a set of 250 Ninja carbs (only) in for refurb.

Pandemic lockdowns or not...no wonder I've got only 2000 miles on my 650.

Added pics....I think the spark plug indicative of the dire need this thing was in. Mercury manometer reveals carb synch. Introducing some needed clearances to the near 0 that were initially found on all 4 intake valves....now at .006". Now starts at touch of the button, every time.

Yet another EX500 due for full service and tires early next week. in the meantime, 250 Ninja carbs in house too.

ge15.jpg

ge16.jpg

ge17.jpg

Last edited:

MrFritz86

CB650R
Sep 28, 2019
Nashville, TN
Today was the second ride with the COVID-19 Kawa custom project
Really a fun bike to ride, a lot of torque, only 5 gears, heavy at first but super light when riding
We shaved of a lot of weight by removing all the fairings and make a shorter rear frame adding a custom seat.A0BFD880-70E7-4A77-B78F-330FCC6ED872.jpeg1809C40A-86C6-4055-9B02-2F4E455C0613.jpeg

ducatiman

Vendor
CBR650R
Jul 27, 2019
New York
SV650 Suzuki/ Mikuni carbs on the bench today for refurb. Weird, absurd linkages. Finding evidence of prior "errors".... overtightened/near stripped screws, broken (poked by human in removal attempt?) orings, "dead" floats, worn valves... but all will be corrected, replaced as needed and reset to spec....otherwise routine stuff. No "smoking gun" damage preventing running.

sv1.jpgsv3.jpg

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
It’s actually the lighting. The colors in the tile are all the lighter shades of the brick, and the grout is almost a perfect match. I still have some polishing to do.

ducatiman

Vendor
CBR650R
Jul 27, 2019
New York
Your call...tons of inexpensive aftermarket far east kits online these days, a crapshoot. . Honda dealer will be more $$ but spot on afa fitment.

ducatiman

Vendor
CBR650R
Jul 27, 2019
New York
yet another EX500 here for carb refurb/valves/tires/chain/sprockets. Full pic when completed. In meantime, look very closely at these carb emulsion tubes...note the twisted, belled ends, victims of gross overtightening at the hands of someone with no business being in carburetors. Other stuff way overtightened on the bike too. Tight is right so super tight is even better, innit? A destructive habit. Air filter as found. ex6205.jpgex6201.JPG

Last edited:

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
yet another EX500 here for carb refurb/valves/tires/chain/sprockets. Full pic when completed. In meantime, look very closely at these carb emulsion tubes...note the twisted, belled ends, victims of gross overtightening at the hands of someone with no business being in carburetors. Other stuff way overtightened on the bike too. Tight is right so super tight is even better, innit? A destructive habit. Air filter as found.

But I thought the ads always say, "Just needs a carb cleaning and she'll run great!".

ducatiman

Vendor
CBR650R
Jul 27, 2019
New York
Or the classic fantasy "ran great when I put it away". Reality ....wouldn't start, left abandoned outside, uncovered behind the garage ... 5 years ago.

Top Bottom