coronavirus precautions

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
Anybody know the situation in England regarding going for a bike ride under the new restrictions ,if you didn't meet up with anybody and stopped in an isolated location say?
Presume it would be regarded as not essential and at some point you would have to stop to fill up with petrol !

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
Technically it's a no. But again at the moment it's advice given rather than law.

Who's to say you aren't on the way to a shop?

Either way, avoid people and try to to touch things if possible.

Awgmat

CB650R ABS
Jun 7, 2019
Guys, not to bum anyone out, but do be careful out there over the next few weeks. If it’s anything like Italy then operating theatres will be turned into intensive care wards. That means that if you are involved in an accident you will likely not be able to get the treatment you need. Best to stay at home. Keep the rubber side down if you do have to ride.

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
I am wearing a dust mask when I have to go into a shop for essentials like bread and milk, better than nothing. I suppose we should avoid riding if possible as suggested above, you don't have an accident intentionally !

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Call me an azzhat but:

7day.jpg

I'm riding when I can!!! This is THE BEST weather one could ask for. In a month or two it will be hit or miss with constant rain! So I will ride these pretty quiet roads as much as I can right now!

***And let me add, I'll be riding alone!

Last edited:

Doohanisthegoat

CBR650F ABS
Mar 14, 2020
Edinburgh, Scotland
Riding Since
I am wearing a dust mask when I have to go into a shop for essentials like bread and milk, better than nothing. I suppose we should avoid riding if possible as suggested above, you don't have an accident intentionally !
I'm using a Fast Bikes summer neck warmer as a way to keep the germs away. It's probably about as efficient as a hankie is at filtering industrial sewage.

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
Call me an azzhat but:

7day.jpg

I'm riding when I can!!! This is THE BEST weather one could ask for. In a month or two it will be hit or miss with constant rain! So I will ride these pretty quiet roads as much as I can right now!

***And let me add, I'll be riding alone!
- Leisure riding isn't allowed here now. Hasn't Trump brought in any restrictions due to Coronavirus ?

skeletor

CBR650F ABS
Dec 13, 2018
If you're curious to know how many aircraft are shuttling people around at this exact moment, here's a screenshot:

Screenshot_2020-03-26_19-20-52.jpg

Squirmy

CB650R ABS
Feb 5, 2020
Anybody know the situation in England regarding going for a bike ride under the new restrictions ,if you didn't meet up with anybody and stopped in an isolated location say?
Presume it would be regarded as not essential and at some point you would have to stop to fill up with petrol !
Despite the brilliant weather and NOT going for a ride in it (although its damn tempting), I'm spending my 3 weeks lock-down giving the bike a proper clean and polish including, cleaning my gear (re-waterproofing textiles and giving any leather the proper treatment to hydrate it), normal bike maintenance (chain adjustment and finally adjusting levers, shifter etc to feel comfortable/natural), ordered bar ends, and removed some panels to get them sprayed (will upload a pic once done). Once ive done all that and im starting to go insane, ill order an exhaust and some fancy levers just to have something else to do xD In between all that, attempting to de-stain the exhaust which is proving to be rather interesting (if anyone knows good ways to remove dirt etc from the pipes im open to suggestions), then polish them up so hopefully easier to clean again when it comes to it. :)

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
Here in the Netherlands, a spokesperson of our equivalent of the CDC had said recreational bike riding is fine, as long as you respect the distancing guidelines and don't bunch up or go have a cup of coffee with others before or afterwards.

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Neither do we, but in the circumstances people here seem to accept the reasons for the lockdown are to try and slow the spread of the virus and not overload our NHS.

I get your concerns and all that. We DO have restrictions around my city and counties surrounding, don't get me wrong. But where I live is more spread out. We're not like the packed-in, living-on-top-of-one-another, big cities. (Although it's getting that way. :mad: )
When I was out the other day there were very few cars. Saw a lot of cows and horses and the smells of newly-grown strawberries and oranges.... 😎

All of our grocery stores are open but with limited hours. Many of our restaurants are open for take-out only and, of course, Wal-marts. When I get stuff I am in and out! I don't talk to people and I don't stick around! When I ride it's just me and nature.

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
When I ride it's just me and nature.
- that is why I thought it might be ok originally, but leisure riding isn't treated as essential here and police are doing spot checks on vehicles to check the purpose of their journey, so it's definitely bike staying in the garage ,although bikers could go to the supermarket on it for essentials I suppose.
Best to stay at home apart from daily walk for exercise which is permitted.

skeletor

CBR650F ABS
Dec 13, 2018
- that is why I thought it might be ok originally, but leisure riding isn't treated as essential here and police are doing spot checks on vehicles to check the purpose of their journey, so it's definitely bike staying in the garage ,although bikers could go to the supermarket on it for essentials I suppose.
Best to stay at home apart from daily walk for exercise which is permitted.

Sounds pretty rough there in North Korea.

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
Yesterday I rode about 150km (95 miles) with my brother. There were a lot of bikes on the road. It was nice weather, a bit windy perhaps.
We came across quite a few groups of bikes riding together and I wondered if they kept the 1.5m rule in mind when getting on and off the bike. When I got back home, I noticed my neighbors across the street had just come back from a ride (they turned off their bikes) together with 2 other riders who live in the next street. They were standing there in the street, really close together just chatting. They didn't keep their distance.

This morning the same group took off again, but again I saw them talk at length with each other without keeping 1.5m distance. Considering how long they've been gone, I wouldn't be surprised if they made a mid-ride stop and had more lengthy discussions about this dude's Aprilia.

People like this make things worse, both in general and possibly for bikers specifically. The gov't might end up banning recreational riding if they see what happens :-/

Edit: just to be clear, my bro and me kept our distance. When he came to my home to pick me up he parked across the street and gave me a phone call. I got on my bike and we communicated using our Cardo Packtalk units. At the end of the ride, we just split up for the last bits to each of our homes (we live about 5km from each other).

Top Bottom