• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CB650R Coolant temperature

nini.nini30

CB650R
Jul 3, 2019
UK
Hi,

I've just got a new cb650r and whilst riding I noticed that the coolant temperature is at 1 line over half. It rarely drops to a half. I have mostly ridden it outside town. Is this normal? Sorry I have to mention that I'm a noob rider as this is my first bike.

Thanks a lot,

58webbing

CB650R
Mar 10, 2019
England
My temp indicator is 1 - 2 bars short of max all the time, thats while gentle riding in average temperatures and without sitting still with engine running. It did concern me to begin with but now I see it has not got any hotter and it runs OK I am not that bothered. I keep meaning to see if the fan is running or when it kicks in but have been distracted by the open road and the need to grin at other road users

nini.nini30

CB650R
Jul 3, 2019
UK
I noticed that the fan is running ok. I usually go gentle riding but I tried to be a bit more aggressive as well. The result is the same.

dnetbandit

CBR650R ABS
Jul 6, 2019
Good Morning All,

This is the same thing that occurs with my CBR650R 2019 on this side of the world also. It remains at the 1 bar minus the red. This girl runs hot and i do mean hot. I verified that when you turn the key to on, that the fan is currently running when she is hot, but not sure that does much.. I mean riding with shorts on even for a little bit when she is hot is next to impossible due to the heat from the engine and it being so exposed.

If you all figure something out or this is the norm please keep me posted.

Doug

Forc

CB650R
Jul 2, 2019
Same with mine here in Norway. The temperature doesn't really move from one bar less than red. Not really worried about it as it doesn't seem overly hot. Going in for my first service on Tuesday, will ask and update you guys in the topic if i remember. Have checked coolant levels and so on and they are well within the limits. I'm just assuming it generally runs a bit hot, unless it hits the red bars i'm not worried at all.

Seems to be the same for longer rides in constant high speeds (highway) and shorter commuter rides.

bishop

CBR650F
Mar 17, 2018
I have a CBR650 2014. I don't have your bikes which the dash uses bars to show coolant temperature.

I installed the 2019 dip stick which uses 0.9 liter less oil than the previous models. Also installed koso temperature gauges for oil and coolant.
My coolant was flushed and changed 2 months ago to 50/50 ratio.

I noticed this year, my rad fan turns on a lot in traffic, and soon as I get off the highway and wait at the stop light.

Just a thought, maybe adding oil levels back to the 2014-2018 model might help?

I'm going to try it to see if it makes a difference.

The highest temperatures I ever saw while stopped at a light with fans going were.
My fans usually starts around 98-101 at full speed. I pretty sure low speed starts sooner, but I can't hear or feel it.

Highest I seen.
110C Coolant
105C Oil

Coolant sensor is installed left side of radiator, drain plug/air bleed hole. (Not in the service manual, I THINK.)
Oil sensor is attached to drain plug.

Eaglemoto

CBR650R ABS
Jul 13, 2019
Riding Since
Not sure if it normal but the 650R does seem to run rather hot. Its particularly noticeable when riding in the wet, as when you stop for any length of time at traffic lights for example, steam starts rising up from between the front forks causing the dash and screen to mist up a bit. Bit alarming at first! Was never like that on the CBR 500R, I do have a GSXR 750 but never ridden that in the rain.

bishop

CBR650F
Mar 17, 2018
I added the oil level back to the 2014-2018 Model amount. Makes no difference with temperature.

I'm pretty sure the bike ran cooler and less rad fan last year, but maybe it's in my head :/

bishop

CBR650F
Mar 17, 2018
Have you done anything that could cause the bike to run leaner? That would increase the temperature.

Fitted a rad guard?

J

Brammers, your so smart!!!

Duh! I played with the fuel commander, and use the default settings for the two brothers exhaust this year. The current fuel map does not touch the lower rpms, like idle or slow speeds. Last year I manually set them to touch those areas.

I'll play with it again when I get the chance and see what happens.

dnetbandit

CBR650R ABS
Jul 6, 2019
On my end, nothing has been done to the bike.. It is completely stock.. And straight out of the dealership, she runs hot as hell.. Always one bar minus the red zone. Doubt i will be able to ride her in shorts cause that area gets really hot.. On the plus side, i know my fan works.. I turn her back on and just let the fan run to cool her down a little quicker..

Doug

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
On my end, nothing has been done to the bike.. It is completely stock.. And straight out of the dealership, she runs hot as hell.. Always one bar minus the red zone. Doubt i will be able to ride her in shorts cause that area gets really hot.. On the plus side, i know my fan works.. I turn her back on and just let the fan run to cool her down a little quicker..

Doug
I’ll be the dick: you shouldn’t be riding in shorts anyway. ATGATT.

You ‘19 owners should take video and show your dealers. Until they get the reports, they can’t fix it whether it’s a recalibrated gauge, thermostat or water pump change, whatever it is should be addressed. A crap temp gauge is even worse than the no temp gauge like in the 14-18s.

dnetbandit

CBR650R ABS
Jul 6, 2019
Heh, heh, heh.. nothing with being a dick, i understand completely, but i meant it in the sense that the heat is intolerable with pants because of how hot she runs.. not saying that it is what i am actually doing.. that is funny.. but good looking out.. i appreciate the advice..

Also, i don't know if anything is actually wrong.. this may be the way the bike is meant to run. The temperature gauge never goes into the red..

Doug

Sunde

CB650F ABS
Jun 2, 2018
Denmark - Århus
Have you done anything that could cause the bike to run leaner? That would increase the temperature.

Fitted a rad guard?

J
Brammers i am looking to get a radiator guard pretty soon myself, as my old rad got busted i'd rather not have that to pay that bill very often, shit is expensive lol... Do you suspect that it diminishes cooling significantly? I need my bike to not melt on a warm day, even if its on track o.o...

bishop

CBR650F
Mar 17, 2018
Heh, heh, heh.. nothing with being a dick, i understand completely, but i meant it in the sense that the heat is intolerable with pants because of how hot she runs.. not saying that it is what i am actually doing.. that is funny.. but good looking out.. i appreciate the advice..

Also, i don't know if anything is actually wrong.. this may be the way the bike is meant to run. The temperature gauge never goes into the red..

Doug

Dnetbandit is lying, he's trying show off his sexy legs! :kiss:

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
Brammers i am looking to get a radiator guard pretty soon myself, as my old rad got busted i'd rather not have that to pay that bill very often, shit is expensive lol... Do you suspect that it diminishes cooling significantly? I need my bike to not melt on a warm day, even if its on track o.o...

Anything that restricts airflow over the rad (and the mesh that rad guard use looks to be about 10% coverage) will diminish the cooler.

I have an r&g fitted, and see no I'll effects. That said I've got mine remapped and it runs cooler as a result.

J

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since

Doug
If the bike is hot to the point of “intolerable heat” I’d think there is something wrong because the F model, which the R is extremely close to being the same as, wasn’t. At all.

That’s why I’m saying you guys are all reporting the same: excessive heat, and the gauge at one bar from the red. Something doesn’t seem right and Honda should know about it.

Glad you are OK with the gear jab, until you’ve slid down the road or have had to clean up the mess after someone else has, you don’t always get the whys. :)

Forc

CB650R
Jul 2, 2019
I wouldn't say excessive heat on mine, but the gauge is pretty much always 1 bar from the red. (As in one more white bar to go before it hits the red zone, like in the video fnation25 posted).

Haven't experienced any comfort issues heatwise though. No problem being on the bike for a long time in jeans (kevlar jeans that is.. I know ATGATT ;) )

Top Bottom