• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CB650F Coolant Level In Overflow Tank

Danijel Kovac

CBR650F ABS
Apr 16, 2019
Hi fellow Honda owners. I have stood my bike (CB 650F ABS) up so it's completely vertical. I can't see the level of coolant in the overflow tank between the two marks. I added more coolant which then spilled out onto my garage floor. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong. No problems with overheating. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
The bottle is hard to see through. If you shine a torch in there it will help.

Otherwise, look from behind - if you can see coolant about "half way" up the tank, you're fine.

It's only an expansion tank - so long as there is some in there when cold - that's all you need.

Danijel Kovac

CBR650F ABS
Apr 16, 2019
Thanks for your prompt and courteous assistance. The information you have provided is greatly appreciated. I'll try your suggestion this coming weekend.

FogDucker

CB650F ABS
Apr 3, 2019
Canada
The bottle is hard to see through. If you shine a torch in there it will help.

Otherwise, look from behind - if you can see coolant about "half way" up the tank, you're fine.

It's only an expansion tank - so long as there is some in there when cold - that's all you need.
Same here. I can only see a trace of green stuff in it and the coolant level is not just there and nothing is floating inside! Absolutely no leakage or radiator damage.
D2F3DBEF-D54E-4F39-A409-8C29F6ED2549.jpeg

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
I added more coolant which then spilled out onto my garage floor. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong.
Not normal to spill it on the garage floor ! I found it needs one of those funnels with a flexible hose to top it up a bit.

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
I have stood my bike (CB 650F ABS) up so it's completely vertical. I can't see the level of coolant in the overflow tank between the two marks. I added more coolant which then spilled out onto my garage floor.
I have now done exactly the same thing, topped up with green Prestone coolant ,couldn't see a thing looking at level marks on overflow bottle, filled slowly, then it came out of filler neck. Tilted bike over so more drained out on to garage floor ,thought I saw fluid above upper mark so let some more overflow out. Can't see a sign of fluid looking at bottle now. Shone torch from front ,sides, back - why is it so bloody difficult to see the level ?! If it was overfilled would it do any damage or would the surplus just flow out of the coolant overflow pipe ?
ps I wiped off coolant that had overflown and sprayed the area with GT85 moisture dispersant so hopefully that is ok.

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
Once it warms up the overflow pipe will do its thing and it'll settle down.

Don't worry... You can't overfill with coolant as you're only topping up an expansion tank.

J

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
Once it warms up the overflow pipe will do its thing and it'll settle down.

Don't worry... You can't overfill with coolant as you're only topping up an expansion tank.
Thanks for the reply. The thing now is I can't see anything and wonder if it is too low ?

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
Shine a torch in the filler neck and look at the tank over the rear wheel. If you can see any coolant in there when the bike is cold, you have enough.

J

Enrico

CB650F ABS
Mar 28, 2019
Shine a torch in the filler neck and look at the tank over the rear wheel. If you can see any coolant in there when the bike is cold, you have enough.

J
Done that and can see liquid sloshing about when I rock the bike. Thanks again.

Top Bottom