• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

Coolant Change

rustyeyed

CBR650F ABS
Oct 14, 2015
United Kingdom
Word of caution: Coolant needs to be non silicate and compatible with Mag alloy engines. Read their labels. Silicates kill the seals and you will get pump failure.

Not teaching anyone to suck eggs but, the right way to drain all coolant is the drain bolt on the water pump, you will need a new copper crush washer. The bleed screw on the left handside of the bike is for air bleed, then rest of the system is air bled and fed from the main rad inlet.

Slickvic

CBR650F
Sep 27, 2017
Brookfield, WI
Riding Since
Hey does anybody know if the factory coolant is inert if the bike was sitting in the showroom for 2 years before I bought it?

In other words, do the 2 years in the showroom count as 2 years of aged coolant or does the aging of the coolant begin when I started riding it?

Daniel

CB650F ABS
Feb 15, 2015
Hey does anybody know if the factory coolant is inert if the bike was sitting in the showroom for 2 years before I bought it?

In other words, do the 2 years in the showroom count as 2 years of aged coolant or does the aging of the coolant begin when I started riding it?

Since the service manual says change after 3 years I would say it's a time based change. You will be fine for 6 months yet, I've had my original coolant in 3 and a half years now with no issues. But will be changing it next week.

Daniel

CB650F ABS
Feb 15, 2015
Having done this today thought I would provide my 2 cents on what I learnt.

Service manual does state 2.5l but despite my best efforts I managed only 2.2l - 2.3l. It states to leave upright when filling but does not say what position to drain but obviously, it's more effective lent on the side stand.

Removing the water pump drain bolt, air bleed bolt and reserve tank siphon hose will allow it to fully drain properly. Once drained I poured half a litre of water in to wash away the dregs. Replenishing the system used almost exactly 2l and the reserve tank a further ~250ml.

I found it difficult to locate the siphon hose initially but it's actually very easy. At the bottom of the reserve tank, left side, probably hidden behind several other hoses. Once pushed aside you should see it clearly. Images below for reference. I used Putoline Ultracool 12 coolant, I also have 700ml left if anyone UK based wants it to save buying a third bottle. Pay postage and it's yours! 👍🏼

20180809_204029.jpg

20180809_203901.jpg

Last edited:

Bindir Dundat

CB650F
May 5, 2018
I usually go to Honda dealer and buy the coolant there to use on my bike don't know if there's any side effects If I remember correctly it's a blue coolant and it says "non-silicate" and Aluminum compatible. Way cheaper than the one from the bike dealer.

Road Hog

CBR650F ABS
May 4, 2017
Thailand
I think you guy are making a job that is easy,very hard.When i changed my coolant last year i just drained my coolant

than started the bike adding vinegar and water to clean the system.Then filled it with honda coolant.As i live in a very

hot place i change my coolant more often then the book saids.Have i shown you guys my weather lately?It's winter

and very cold!

https://www.worldweatheronline.com/fang-weather/chiang-mai/th.aspx

bobstrax

CB650F ABS
Oct 1, 2017
Lincolnshire
I think you guy are making a job that is easy,very hard.When i changed my coolant last year i just drained my coolant

than started the bike adding vinegar and water to clean the system.Then filled it with honda coolant.As i live in a very

hot place i change my coolant more often then the book saids.Have i shown you guys my weather lately?It's winter

and very cold!

Stop it !!! Roadhog, it's white frost outside and you've got 30+ temps for wks :((.....can you remember what frost looks like ? ;)

Road Hog

CBR650F ABS
May 4, 2017
Thailand
Stop it !!! Roadhog, it's white frost outside and you've got 30+ temps for wks :((.....can you remember what frost looks like ? ;)

Every time i stick my head in my freezer,Sorry guys this global warming is great! Until summer comes!

Road Hog

CBR650F ABS
May 4, 2017
Thailand
Well summer is here and it is getting harder and harder to ride over here.The smog is so thick you can

cut the air with a knife and next week we have the thai new year.The water throwing should start as early

as tomorrow and yes they love throwing buckets of water at motorcycles and some put ice in the bucket.

Anyhow, it should be fun!Just have a look at my hot ass weather!

Fatherted

CBR650F ABS
Apr 11, 2019
What’s the ID number for the copper crush washer needed to seal the coolant drain screw anyone ???

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
Any 12mm (ID) copper crush washer will do :)

Or pay £2.50 for a single Honda OEM aluminium one. Can't get to the oem part# right now, should be an easy google though - or check fowlers parts.

Top Bottom