• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's Clunky/aggressive gearbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaptenbjorn

CB650R ABS
Oct 31, 2020
Riding Since
Hey,

Is it just me or is the CB650F/R gearbox really clunky/aggressive? Putting it in first I get a really hard jerk with a strong clunk, and when driving the same shifting up to second and third(I can feel it in the whole bike when the gear slips into place). Something to be done?

Could it even be normal? Any diagnostic tests anyone can recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Goblin

CB650R ABS
Sep 2, 2019
The CB650R/CBR650R both need a positive and direct shifting method, they don’t like lazy shifting. I don’t know how long you’re riding!! but from neutral to first gear a clunky sound is normal. If you really think there’s something wrong, maybe you can let a friend with more experience test ride the bike? A visit at the dealer is also a option. But I personally think you just need to get a feel for the gearbox. So what I said, make more direct and positive shifts and you will notice the differents. Good luck 👍
Ps: check your free play in the clutch lever

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Hey,

Is it just me or is the CB650F/R gearbox really clunky/aggressive? Putting it in first I get a really hard jerk with a strong clunk, and when driving the same shifting up to second and third(I can feel it in the whole bike when the gear slips into place). Something to be done?

Could it even be normal? Any diagnostic tests anyone can recommend?

Thanks in advance!
It should not be awful or nasty, especially when compared to other bikes. If it is, check your clutch cable setup, your shifter height and if it continues get it into a shop to look at.

ghehen

CBR650F ABS
Jun 27, 2019
Vietnam
1st gear from standing is a little bit bang on the gear, after that smooth like hot knife through butter, check you clutch level and cable settings. I4 engine like shifting at high rev, rev up your engine :D

Tyjamo

CB650F ABS
Apr 15, 2021
Riding Since
When upshifting, preload the gear lever up with your toe. You can still use the clutch but the gearbox will thank you with a smooth immediate upshift. The more time spent between gears, the clunkier it will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom