• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's Clear Coat Recommendations

eloicb

CB650R
Feb 29, 2020
Barcelona, Spain
Riding Since
Hello everyone,

So, a while back, I peeled one of my CB650R Honda decals, unaware (although suspicious) that it had clear coat on top. Do you know any good brands for redoing the clear coat on the area? I have no had much luck looking clear coats up on Amazon.

Thank you and happy rides!

Cbat

CBR650F ABS
May 13, 2018
Tank decals? I don't think skin decals are clearcoat unless changed for 2019. If tank, you'll have a hard time with a DIY fix looking right.

Goblin

CB650R ABS
Sep 2, 2019
I you peeled off the Honda tank decals than you need a complete respray of clear coat but if you damaged the base coat then it will be a complete paint job! Best is to let a professional do the job. Good luck 👍

Motojack

CBR650R
May 26, 2019
Whats the reason behind the cearcoat over the decal on the tank? is it to prevent possible fuel spillage runing the decal?

OP I just took mine to a profesinal who done a fine job. they had to color match though from where the sticker was removed.

JRinKtown

CB650F
Jun 30, 2019
I have the 2018 650F. On mine there was definitely no clearcoat applied over the decal on the tank. I have a long background in the industrial paint industry, so I checked carefully for that. A hair dryer allowed the decal to be removed easily leaving a flawless finish. Curious that Honda has clear coated over decals on some and not others.

JRinKtown

CB650F
Jun 30, 2019
Yeah I never considered the Honda logo. I can see that being clear coated. I was referring to the tank decal just in front of the seat that everyone wants off, that is not clear coated.

If you remove a decal that was clear coated and you can can successfully rub down the surface without going through the paint, then I would use a 2K (two component) clearcoat. If you don't have access to an air gun to apply it, they do make 2K clear coats in spray cans. The cans have a valve you turn to allow the two components to intermix. Once you do that, it has a pot life so you turf it after the job is done. There are several makes out there. Spray Max is a popular one available on Amazon if you don't have an automotive paint supplier near you.

You'll need to spray the entire tank with clear, so BEFORE any scuff sanding to even out irregularities and promote adhesion, make certain you use a degreaser cleaner to remove any surface contaminants and wax. If you're careful and trust yourself enough not to produce runs, you can obtain an excellent result. You may or may not want to wet sand after the clear before polishing. You can use a tool for de-nibbing any specs in the finish from dust and such while spraying. Just some thoughts.

eloicb

CB650R
Feb 29, 2020
Barcelona, Spain
Riding Since
Yeah I never considered the Honda logo. I can see that being clear coated. I was referring to the tank decal just in front of the seat that everyone wants off, that is not clear coated.

If you remove a decal that was clear coated and you can can successfully rub down the surface without going through the paint, then I would use a 2K (two component) clearcoat. If you don't have access to an air gun to apply it, they do make 2K clear coats in spray cans. The cans have a valve you turn to allow the two components to intermix. Once you do that, it has a pot life so you turf it after the job is done. There are several makes out there. Spray Max is a popular one available on Amazon if you don't have an automotive paint supplier near you.

You'll need to spray the entire tank with clear, so BEFORE any scuff sanding to even out irregularities and promote adhesion, make certain you use a degreaser cleaner to remove any surface contaminants and wax. If you're careful and trust yourself enough not to produce runs, you can obtain an excellent result. You may or may not want to wet sand after the clear before polishing. You can use a tool for de-nibbing any specs in the finish from dust and such while spraying. Just some thoughts.
Thank you! Yeah, I was lucky enough to remove it without damaging the paint. I will try and find a provider, but if it becomes too cumbersome I might just vinyl wrap the tank altogether 😂

Top Bottom