• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

Cleaning our rides.

Carsalper

CBR650F ABS
Apr 11, 2018
Hi there!! I hope I'm not asking a silly question but, What do you use to clean your motorbikes?? I ask this beacuse at the dealer they told me to be really carefully when cleaning the windshield. And also I am interested in knowing how do you deal with the sensitive spots of the bike, like the dashboard and so. Thanks in advance for your help and comments!!

h0ck3y

CBR650F ABS
Feb 6, 2015
Ontario, Canada
For me, the one thing I NEVER DO is use a pressure washer on the bike. The force of the high pressure puts water where it should not go (e.g. inside the dashboard) and could loosen bits and erode surfaces. I'm not that careful with the windshield and wash it like everything else (it takes a beating on the road anyways, so it's going to get scratches and such). Great advice I got from this forum is to invest in a couple of long brushes for the tire rims and hard to reach spots (the chain area underneath the rear shock).

Since we're talking about washing bikes, the one issue I have is what degreaser to use to get rid rid of chain oil and lubricant underneath the rear shock and the on the rear tire rim. This forum once suggested using WD-40 to get rid of the oil, but it didn't work so well -- what other degreasers are people using for this (i.e. SprayNine)?

Carsalper

CBR650F ABS
Apr 11, 2018
Thanks! I will follow you advice on this. Let`s hear more and also about that degreaser.

Kingsleh

CBR650F ABS
Apr 11, 2018
Montreal, Canada
For me, the one thing I NEVER DO is use a pressure washer on the bike. The force of the high pressure puts water where it should not go (e.g. inside the dashboard) and could loosen bits and erode surfaces. I'm not that careful with the windshield and wash it like everything else (it takes a beating on the road anyways, so it's going to get scratches and such). Great advice I got from this forum is to invest in a couple of long brushes for the tire rims and hard to reach spots (the chain area underneath the rear shock).

Since we're talking about washing bikes, the one issue I have is what degreaser to use to get rid rid of chain oil and lubricant underneath the rear shock and the on the rear tire rim. This forum once suggested using WD-40 to get rid of the oil, but it didn't work so well -- what other degreasers are people using for this (i.e. SprayNine)?

Which SprayNine? :p

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I use water from a hose, soft cloths and a car wash soap, nothing fancy. The advice to nit use a pressure washer is good advice; it can easily cause more harm than good.

Curious what didn’t work with the WD, I was probably the one who advised it? I use it all the time and it cuts through the chain crap easily and without much fuss. Spray it on a rag and wipe the junk off has always worked for me just fine, in fact the Sprint got caught in a huge storm in North Carolina last week and will get all cleaned up here in a few hours. It has a new chain on it with a ton of garbage slung everywhere on it now and I’ll use a grunge brush and WD to clean it off.

fergard

CBR650R ABS
Apr 20, 2018
Germany
Riding Since
It depends, actually.

Water, soap/foam with some soft cloth is good. However, I also use the high-pressure 'karcher' washer if I have a possibility - just using it with a safe distance of ~1 meter from the bike, also I don't use it on the upper part of the bike (e.g. I don't water the seat and dashboard), as well as I don't wash the radiator with it - it has really thin metal plates that can be bent really easy.

Sudesh

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Nov 21, 2017
Victoria, Australia
Riding Since
I don't understand everyone heres general no go on a power washer. Mind you l haven't washed a bike since my 650f last week in a while so maybe my attitudes should change but l use a foam cannon from a pressure washer and it does wonders. Just be logical and don't spray directly onto electronics or at the chain/important regions of the bike and you will be completely fine. Another note is to not wash your bike while the engine is hot, not sure why l forgot but its important to avoid that kind of hot metal surface with high pressure water.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I don't understand everyone heres general no go on a power washer. Mind you l haven't washed a bike since my 650f last week in a while so maybe my attitudes should change but l use a foam cannon from a pressure washer and it does wonders. Just be logical and don't spray directly onto electronics or at the chain/important regions of the bike and you will be completely fine. Another note is to not wash your bike while the engine is hot, not sure why l forgot but its important to avoid that kind of hot metal surface with high pressure water.

A pressure washer in and of itself isn’t a bad thing, but a pressure washer in the wrong hands or without paying attention very much can be.

The drawbacks to a pressure washer is the ability to “push” water past seals, hoses, fittings, connectors, components, bearings, etc. that while “sealed” are only sealed from a low pressure hose or rain, not 90psi of jet water. You can easily push grease and oil out on your wheel bearings, into suspension linkages, past oil seals in you shock and forks, into connectors on the ECU, the air box, crankcase vents, honestly, the list goes on.

Dirt bike guys love pressure washers to rid the mud that gets gummed up on their bikes from riding. You’ll find that their suspension linkages are generally rusted because they push the water last the seals which contaminates the grease in all the bearings. It’s very common and why a general rule is to simply not use one.

YMMV, however.

Carsalper

CBR650F ABS
Apr 11, 2018
I'm very glad seening so many advices, which I am taking into account. Hope there are more coming!

StephaneCBR

CBR650F ABS
May 23, 2015
Montreal, Canada
I use a pressure washer to wash my bike. It comes with 3 nozzle fittings to control pressure. I never use the red fitting (highest pressure) to wash the bike; I used it once to peel the old paint on the deck and it worked really well so I guess it could cause damages to the bike if used to wash. I can soap the bike with the pressure washer when using low pressure fitting. I know my Honda dealer are using a pressure washer to wash the bikes they sell and service. I also use a bucket and clothe to wash it by hand, just using the washer doesn't do a good job, especially in the front whit all the insects stuck there.

Sunde

CB650F ABS
Jun 2, 2018
Denmark - Århus
When it comes to cleaning the chain, WD40 is fine, i lube my chain with gear oil, and basically never have to clean the chain, since it the oil pretty much falls off the moment gunk gets stuck to it. If it needs cleaning i'll just add add some more oil to the parts that are filthy, and wipe it off with a cloth... I'd suggest never using any kind of brush on your chain, a cloth will get you the same result but with 0 risk.

Jason74

CB650R ABS
Aug 30, 2019
Hand wash with a sponge and car wash soap.. Use Simple Green and a soft bristled chain brush on the chain... Use the leaf blower to dry it off.

Last edited:

User26

CBR650R ABS
Aug 8, 2019
Riding Since
What about the guys with mat painted motorcycles? The dealer told me it was easy to maintain with just water and maybe mild soap.
And obviously never polish it..
So I'm hoping in reality it is as easy as the dealer claims..

shinyballs

CB650F
Apr 27, 2019
Garden hose and a nozzle that has 6 different sprays. I always use the "shower" spray as it let's the maximum amount of water out with no more pressure than a good rainfall. Clean micro fiber yellow rag from Costco, regular car wash soap, I rinse the rag in clean water often. After the wash and rinse, I use compressed air to get most of the water off, then another clean and damp yellow Costco rag to wipe off the remaining drops of water.

John876

CBR650R ABS
Aug 6, 2019
Essex, England
I stupidly wiped some dirt off of my tank and seat cowl last night in the dark without washing it first. I then noticed this morning that it’s covered in light scratches.

I’ve ordered some maguires scratch x to try and rub them out. I don’t think they are through the clear coat but very annoying. Does anyone have any other tips?

The whole tank and seat cowl are covered in them. I’ve only had it a week 😭😭

Attachments

• 5F1D9B24-A9EA-494A-B74D-5CE4BA865ED4.jpeg
    5F1D9B24-A9EA-494A-B74D-5CE4BA865ED4.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 29

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
I stupidly wiped some dirt off of my tank and seat cowl last night in the dark without washing it first. I then noticed this morning that it’s covered in light scratches.

I’ve ordered some maguires scratch x to try and rub them out. I don’t think they are through the clear coat but very annoying. Does anyone have any other tips?

The whole tank and seat cowl are covered in them. I’ve only had it a week 😭😭

What did you use to wipe it off with???

I normally just use a microfiber cloth and water. Dry it and then use some of the Honda Pro Cleaner for a nice shine. Windex and microfiber cloth on the windscreen, mirrors and light covers.

I never use any kind of sponge. Another thing I learned years ago with my cruiser that had a Memphis Shades windshield...NEVER use one of those gas station window washer/squeegee things!!! They will leave all kinds of scratches on plastic.

Top Bottom