• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650Rs Check Engine Light on CB650R

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
Actually common on cars/trucks. FCA (Stellantis) has a ROLLS mode in their scan tool so you can put the vehicle on an emissions dyno and not make the ABS/TCS freak out because it only sees WSS values on front or rear.

MaximusCBus

CB650R
Jul 11, 2021
Riding Since
So if I understand well, you start the bike put it in 1 gear on the rear paddock stand? And that’s the reason for the check engine light to come on. I did the same thing a while ago idle in 1 gear to check the clutch I believe! Any way this action did not gave me a check engine light 💡
I did this thing couple of times, I believe. And it did not cause any lights before. Maybe it depends or revs or gears you use on a stand. Dunno,

MaximusCBus

CB650R
Jul 11, 2021
Riding Since
Okay that’s new info to me 👍
Also, I have a friend at Honda and he has Africa Twin, the first thing he said to me when I called him was like 'same thing may happens on Africa Twin if you set it on stand on gear, but instead of MIL, ABS light freaks out, and it gets off soon enough'

Brian C.

CBR650R ABS
Nov 26, 2021
Northwich
Riding Since
Thanks for this Thread! Ran mine on the Paddock stand to warm her up after sitting for a while, and to dry her off after a wash. Following day I went out and noticed the Engine light. After panicking for about 20 minutes I looked here and thought I would try and ride her as other than the light she felt fine. Did about 6 miles out, turned off and back on, and the light was still on! Admitted surrender and headed home, turned her off to open my gate, and when I jumped back on, the Light was out! Hallelujah!!!!!!:happy:
If it had not been for this Forum I would have parked her up and booked her into the Dealers, likely putting her off the road for a few weeks while I arrange to get her there, but instead I was able to Ride out! Thanks Forum!!!!

Cláudio Nogueira

CB650R ABS
Jan 26, 2022
Portugal
Riding Since
Hey guys. So I went to Honda today. Bike is ok.
First of all, the 'check engine' light was on and the ride to the dealership is around 12 km. The light was on whole ride. But nothing extraordinary.
As I got there, service manager came to me to get my bike and set it on the stand. When he ignited the bike, the light was not there :)
Still, I've asked them to do the diagnostics.
In 15 mins they were done and asked me if I was doing wheelies yesterday :) I said no and I was not.
So the reason the 'check engine' light was on is that the ECU spotted the difference between the front/rear wheel rotations, that usually happens during wheelies.
And they asked me to think about what might have caused that. And started blaming front wheel rotation sensor.
But then I realized what happened. During the washing the bike was on a rear wheel rolling stand. As I've cleaned the bike, let it dry for a bit and applied new chain lube. Usually I went for a ride after cleaning, but yesterday I had no intention to do that at first and just turned the bike with 1st gear on the stand for a minute or two.
That was the moment 'check engine' popped up most surely. As the front wheel was on the ground stationary, and rear wheel was spinning with 1st gear on.
So, Honda checked the error history on the ECU today and sent me home :) and asked me to observe, just in case, and not repeat same mistake.
Thank you all, for the support.
Hello.

I don’t want to disappoint you, but I've done that inumerous times and I never experienced any CE light!
Maybe there is a problem with one of the sensors or it´s cables and connector, assuming they know what they are saying, but putting the bike on a rear stand and let it idle with a gear engaged, should not be the cause of your problem.

User28

CB650R
May 2, 2022
Riding Since
Hello.

I don’t want to disappoint you, but I've done that inumerous times and I never experienced any CE light!
Maybe there is a problem with one of the sensors or it´s cables and connector, assuming they know what they are saying, but putting the bike on a rear stand and let it idle with a gear engaged, should not be the cause of your problem.
It is the same problem i have , if i select 1st and just let the wheel rotate and idle speed so its below 5 mph i have no check warning light, but it i rev above 5mph or change up through the gears all with the back wheel of the ground and the front stationary sooner or later the ecu detects a miss match and will throw up an error showing the check engine, i can reset ethier with a scanner attached to on board diganostic port or go for a ride , the later is more often the way i reset the ecu but can take between a few yards and sevaral miles , its never a major issue, also had this with other bikes with a 2 channel abs systems , remember when you pull of the abs light is on untill the ecu has noticed that both wheels rotate at the same speed , thats all this issue is

Cláudio Nogueira

CB650R ABS
Jan 26, 2022
Portugal
Riding Since
It is the same problem i have , if i select 1st and just let the wheel rotate and idle speed so its below 5 mph i have no check warning light, but it i rev above 5mph or change up through the gears all with the back wheel of the ground and the front stationary sooner or later the ecu detects a miss match and will throw up an error showing the check engine, i can reset ethier with a scanner attached to on board diganostic port or go for a ride , the later is more often the way i reset the ecu but can take between a few yards and sevaral miles , its never a major issue, also had this with other bikes with a 2 channel abs systems , remember when you pull of the abs light is on untill the ecu has noticed that both wheels rotate at the same speed , thats all this issue is
I see your point, my experience is only in 1st gear and I think I didn´t even reved it up, so ABS function is not even activated. I usually do it to spread and promote penetration of fresh applied lubricant, with my hands very far from the transmission. Then I stop the engine and clean the excess.

I believe if you rev it through the gears the ECU will think the bike is effectively running and detects the absence of signal from the front wheel sensor.
I would find that normal, but I would expect the error to be cleaned from the ECU after 1 or 2 successfull start / run cycles.

In my cars, I saw that happening after MOT brake performance tests, but after a successful cycle, the error goes away. It wouldn’t be very clever if Honda didn’t do it that way, as running a bike on a stand is a common thing to do!

Sorry if I'm not adding nothing valuable.

bogdan.samondros

CB650R
Sep 25, 2023
Riding Since
Yesterday I cleaned and lubricated the chain and did the same mistake. I shifted UP to 6 and back. But didn't notice the Check Light. Today when I come to ride to the job I realized that CHECK appears. The ride was as usual without any throubles except that light and I managed to book the service slot before face this thread. Does any body know, how to manually reset errors without connect to the scanner in order to verify error no occurs any more? I suspect that root cause was exactly the same as topic starter's

bogdan.samondros

CB650R
Sep 25, 2023
Riding Since
Yesterday I cleaned and lubricated the chain and did the same mistake. I shifted UP to 6 and back. But didn't notice the Check Light. Today when I come to ride to the job I realized that CHECK appears. The ride was as usual without any throubles except that light and I managed to book the service slot before face this thread. Does any body know, how to manually reset errors without connect to the scanner in order to verify error no occurs any more? I suspect that root cause was exactly the same as topic starter's
When I came to the service the guy just turned on a bike and light has disappeared. It happened approx after 100km away. Eventually we connected it to the scanner and the check of stored errors pointed to speed sensor error. Hope this information will be useful for anybody. Don't shift you gears up/down when you lift your bike up, and when you need to turn a weel always use rear brake when turn on 1-st gear. It will save your gearbox.

revcounter

CBR650R ABS
Jun 14, 2023
Riding Since
Hi all, today encountered an issue with my Honda CB650R: Check Engine Light is on since I turn the key and it stays on no matter what.
Bike has roughly 5500 km on the clock. I don't know if it is connected or not, but the light popped up after the wash. No high pressure, just regular water stream from a hose.
Did the washing as always did. While riding did not encounter any issues, or sounds. Will contact Honda tomorrow. Any ideas on how to fix or at least check what is causing that light

Buy one of these handy to have lying around, it'll tell you everything you need to know.

Check your 02 sensor hasnt come loose, my check engine management light came on because of that.

Motojack

CBR650R
May 26, 2019

Buy one of these handy to have lying around, it'll tell you everything you need to know.

Check your 02 sensor hasnt come loose, my check engine management light came on because of that.
Thanks! Have you used this successfully on this bike? I've not messed around with code readers much and I made a note to myself that i should as the dealer was looking to book my bike in for another appointment to read the code (even though she was in for a warranty job).

Bit of a joke really when it takes 10s to read it and they hand me back a bike with a MIL code. Expecting me to ride back home with an unknown fault.

daLe32

CB650R
Mar 11, 2021
Riding Since
Hi all, today encountered an issue with my Honda CB650R: Check Engine Light is on since I turn the key and it stays on no matter what.
Bike has roughly 5500 km on the clock. I don't know if it is connected or not, but the light popped up after the wash. No high pressure, just regular water stream from a hose.
Did the washing as always did. While riding did not encounter any issues, or sounds. Will contact Honda tomorrow. Any ideas on how to fix or at least check what is causing that light?

Experienced this last night (check engine light) after riding on flooded streets... but after parked overnight light goes off.. maybe wet o2 sensor only...

DarkHorseGirl

CBR650R ABS
Aug 31, 2023
Riding Since
Hi guys,

I've been reading through this as my bike as gone the exact same thing.

Will the engine check light turn off on itself and in the future, don't clean the chain in 1st gear again?

Thank you!

Cláudio Nogueira

CB650R ABS
Jan 26, 2022
Portugal
Riding Since
Hi guys,

I've been reading through this as my bike as gone the exact same thing.

Will the engine check light turn off on itself and in the future, don't clean the chain in 1st gear again?

Thank you!
Hello. I run the bike in 1st gear, after every time I lube the chain. Hands very far, no children nor pets around, obviously. An old friend was caught by a running bike chain, it was a lesson for life. I get anxious just looking at the running chain.
Never had any issues, nor any kind of error. I belive it's because the bike didn't ran with both wheels on the ground, the ABS isn't even enabled yet at this point.
Maybe there are software differences between markets.

Top Bottom