• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

Chain Replacement

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Original chain

Off topic, Devil's 1st round draft pick Dawson Mercer from my province...he won't disappoint 😉

If one link is getting stiff then I'd say you have another 1,000 miles with that chain. Check it after that and if there are other links binding then it's time. I normally like to change out my chains around 15K, give or take. It's probably not always necessary but...that's me! I also change out both sprockets with a new chain. Again, not always necessary but that's just me.

Cbat

CBR650F ABS
May 13, 2018
So our bikes come stock with o-ring chains. Looking on Fortnine site, they also have x-ring and z-ring in 525. Any experience with z and x ring?

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
So our bikes come stock with o-ring chains. Looking on Fortnine site, they also have x-ring and z-ring in 525. Any experience with z and x ring?

The X rings are better at holding in the grease than the O rings. Also, less friction between the plates. The Z rings are more for off-roading, IIRC.

Get yourself a good x ring chain from your dealer. (Be weary of the eBay/Amazon chains as you may find some cheaper but who knows if they're the real quality.) I trust my dealership to have brand name and quality chains and sprockets so I go to them. They may be a little more expensive at the dealer but I know what I'm getting. If a chain breaks when riding it could be really bad...both for you and your engine!

*** I'd have no problem getting another O ring chain if that's all there was. I prefer the X rings but an O ring isn't that much different, IMO.

Cbat

CBR650F ABS
May 13, 2018
Going to order an x-ring from Fortnine...trusted canadian website with quality product. I think it's the cnd Revzilla version.

Seven brands to choose from: Bikemaster, DID, EK, JT, RK, Sunstar and Vortex. I don't know one from the other. I don't mind paying for quality.

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Going to order an x-ring from Fortnine...trusted canadian website with quality product. I think it's the cnd Revzilla version.

Seven brands to choose from: Bikemaster, DID, EK, JT, RK, Sunstar and Vortex. I don't know one from the other. I don't mind paying for quality.

I'm a fan of Bike Master products. They may not be "the best" but they're definitely top quality. I also like the Sunstar sprockets. Very durable. Fortnine can be trusted, as far as I'm concerned, though I've never purchased from them. I enjoy Ryan's videos!

Itchytoe

CB650F
Dec 15, 2019
I think my current chain is an EK. So far, it's treated me well in its first 5,000ish miles. In the real world, you won't notice the difference between an O ring, X ring or Z ring. Go with any of them and you'll be fine.

Cbat

CBR650F ABS
May 13, 2018
Not to beat a dead horse, any idea what our rear sprocket bore and BCD is? I don't see any specs in service manual. I'm replacing sprockets and chain. I could measure I suppose but would need to take tire off for an accurate measurement.

Edit: Correct me if I'm wrong, 112mm/138mm for bore/BCD.

Last edited:

Cbat

CBR650F ABS
May 13, 2018
Okay, so the more I read, the more questions I have. I have to replace my chain and sprockets. Can I not change all to 520 series? Save weight, more purchase options, with no additional cost (from what I've seen). Seams like a no-brainer.

Itchytoe

CB650F
Dec 15, 2019
You definitely can replace everything with 520 components. I did that with mine. What you can't do is only replace the chain with a 520, or just the chain and one sprocket. You have to replace both sprockets and the chain if you're going to 520. All 3 components must match.

SSN637

CBR650F
Sep 4, 2019
FINALLY got my new chain delivered -- took more than a month. That was a bit frustrating.

Although, not as frustrating as my stupidity. Right there on the box, it said 120 Links. I absolutely KNEW that I needed 118 links. However, in my excitement to be accomplishing this task, I failed to shorten the supplied chain. Popped the old one off, installed the new, riveted the master link and attempted to properly tension the chain. Needless to say, that was not possible with my goof!!!

To make matters worse, the new chain is a D.I.D. and the spare master link I had from previous evolutions was for an EK chain and did not fit. So, I had to order another and wait a day to finish the job. Disappointed in myself. Thought I'd share so others can laugh at me and not make the same mistake.

Next time, I will order a spare master link (in case) and if I don't use it I will have a spare.

Now I need to go find the thread on chain maintenance as my old one looked worse than I thought. Even though it lasted me over 25,000 miles, I SHOULD take better care of it!!!

Cbat

CBR650F ABS
May 13, 2018
Have you ever given your chain a kerosene bath? I was amazed at how much crap builds up within the links, ever after cleaning the week prior. I'm thought I was taking care of my chain until then. 11k later, I'm replacing chain and both sprockets.

Top Bottom