• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CBR650R Chain adjustment (tools required)

cbr650r1234

CBR650R ABS
Apr 30, 2019
Hi All,

I've done some searching but can't find a definitive idea of what tools you need to actually adjust the chain in "UK" speak. I.e. getting the right torque wrench, breaker and socket setup.

Please could someone help me out with Amazon or another trader links so I can get the right equipment?

Right now I have:

Draper 30357 1/2" Square Drive 30 - 210Nm or 22.1-154.9lb-ft Ratchet Torque Wrench Amazon product

Draper 16359 Square Drive Metric Socket 18 Pieces Set, 3/8" Length Amazon product

I have some fixed sized wrenches already to adjust the actual chain tensioner but no idea if I need a breaker bar as well !!!?

Cracker

CB650R
May 18, 2019
Will be listening in on this one.
Also need to know how many Nm the torque wrench should be set at when thightening up.

Cracker

CB650R
May 18, 2019
27mm socket fits on brake side, but 19mm does not fit on the chain side, looks like a 21mm socket will fit. Will find out tommorow.

Cracker

CB650R
May 18, 2019
I go get the propper socket later today. Anyone know if there is an easy way to get the plastic cover off to get to the front sprocket ? A workshop manual would be handy...

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
That's easy, just remove the top gear shift lever (by undoing the pinch bolt) and then undo two hex-socket screws holding the cover in place.

Getting it out from behind the pipes is a faff but not difficult.

J

cbr650r1234

CBR650R ABS
Apr 30, 2019
I'm still massively confused on how to find the six sided sockets and whether it's 1/2 or 3/8. Does anyone know a website which has good options? Amazon just seems more confusing than not !!

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida
I'm still massively confused on how to find the six sided sockets and whether it's 1/2 or 3/8. Does anyone know a website which has good options? Amazon just seems more confusing than not !!

If you have a Harbor Freight store or any hardware store should have them. And you should be able to just purchase the socket(s) that you need. Ask for the "6-point" socket for whatever wrench size you're using.

Remember...the larger the socket chances are you'll be needing a 1/2" socket wrench.

Here's one at Harbor Freight:

48153630442_67c913fd7d.jpg

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-...2-in-drive-27mm-deep-impact-socket-67790.html

***EDIT TO ADD...for the axle nuts I wouldn't worry about a 6-point wrench, although it helps. The reason I say this is because the axle nuts "shouldn't" be torqued down too tight. I've used my 12-point for many axles and never had issues.

Where I DID have issues is with the SPROCKET NUT, and ONLY on my Kawasaki Versys! Every other motorcycle I've owned the sprocket nuts came loose relatively easily.

Again, for the axle nuts you probably won't have a problem. If that's what you have now (12-point wrenches) try it and go easy.

Amazon product

Last edited:

Devilsfan

CB650F
Jun 5, 2019
Tampa, Florida

Again, if you just want to adjust the chain slack then I suggest a regular wrench. If wanting to replace the drive chain sprockets then I'd go for the ratchet set.

A regular wrench will grip more on the nuts. A socket has more chances of slipping off.

If you have an air compressor with an air gun that's even better!!!

cbr650r1234

CBR650R ABS
Apr 30, 2019
Thanks so much for the replies Devilsfan. After reading all of that and reviewing originall posts it is now finally making sense and why the socket set isn't required.

I will try next weekend on the chain adjustment and report back!

Thanks again all!

Top Bottom