• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's Cbr 650f ignition switch issue

waldek

CBR650F ABS
Aug 20, 2018
Hello,

Somebody messed with my bike and now the ignition contact is broken. I still have both keys but need to change the front ignition switch. I managed to take it off and am looking to order a new one but it seems to be on back order until November (in Europe). This is quite a big deal for me as it's my only transportation.
It got me thinking though. Could I wire up a switch to bridge the contact? Basically hotwiring the bike but as the hiss is on there it could be a temporary solution. On the electric diagram the ignition seems to be a simple two pole switch but read online of some cbrs having zener diodes in it as a security feature.
Any help is highly appreciated!

Wouter

Last edited:

waldek

CBR650F ABS
Aug 20, 2018
Small follow up question: Does anybody know if the US parts would fit on the EU bike? This is all quite a big issue for me so I went ahead an purchased the part out of the US. They have different part numbers though. The EU one is 35010-MJE-D02 and the US one seems to be 35010-MJE-A04. I'm going to have a look at what's inside of the electronics body under the lock and see if I can find a way to get it up and running. Any help is still highly appreciated.

waldek

CBR650F ABS
Aug 20, 2018
Some good progress! The ignition seems to be a simple switch connection. I took it apart with a torx screwdriver and measured the resistance to be about 0.5 ohm which I suspect to be cable and contact resistance. When I connect the switch, turn it to make contact and have the hiss key close to the receiver the bike starts!
I might look into a 12v remote controlled switch or hide a real switch somewhere near the cockpit as I wait for a spare part to arrive.
I know my post sounds a bit dodgy but it is my own bike, I'm the first owner with 35000km on the dial.

Attachments

• IMG-20180820-WA0004.jpeg
    IMG-20180820-WA0004.jpeg
    540.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG-20180820-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20180820-WA0002.jpeg
    667.2 KB · Views: 53

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
If that is the case, I suspect the USA part is no different.

So long as the HISS system is not damaged and you have the keys, you should be in for an easy repair with a switch soldered in for a temporary solution.

Not having a steering lock might be more of a worry however.

waldek

CBR650F ABS
Aug 20, 2018
If that is the case, I suspect the USA part is no different.

So long as the HISS system is not damaged and you have the keys, you should be in for an easy repair with a switch soldered in for a temporary solution.

Not having a steering lock might be more of a worry however.

Yeah, I really hope it's the same. Don't see any real reason why it would be different. It should arrive in a week or so and will get back with details.

The hiss system is intact and the bike runs fine when the original key is lying on top of the hiss receptor. I'll go with a simple hidden switch I think.

The steering lock is an issue for now but I'll just park indoors until I have a real solution.

waldek

CBR650F ABS
Aug 20, 2018
The replacement part has shipped from Georgia (US). Let's hope Belgian customs is quicker than usual. I looked all around the electronic shops to find a switch but none had the needed amps requirements. From the circuit diagram I concluded it's a minimum of 20A but to be on the safe side I wanted higher, plus I found some CBR600RR guy online who popped 30A switches in multiple bike so I assume that's the way to go. The highest I could source locally was 16A so I ordered online. Should arrive today or tomorrow. I'll keep you guy's updated.

waldek

CBR650F ABS
Aug 20, 2018
The switch arrived and is installed. The bike is alive again! It's all pretty simple actually. At the bottom of the ignition switch there is a two pole wire coming out that is connected on the left side of the bike, just under the tank. You just need to take off the fairing on one side to access it. I cut the wire at the ignition in order to reuse the connector. Sourced a 12V 30A toggle switch and soldered it to to open ends of the cable (don't forget to shrink wrap the ends and to tape it all up for rain). I hid it deep into the fairing for the moment. To turn the bike on I just flip the switch. the bike is now on but doesn't start until I move my registered hiss key to the receiver. Once it connects you hear the bike starting up and I'm ready to go! I did a 20min ride and it looks like the hiss system only checks at the startup. Tomorrow I'll do a longer ride. Once the bike is on and running I put key in my pocket and didn't have any issues.
The US part is in transit now. More news and maybe some pics will follow.

waldek

CBR650F ABS
Aug 20, 2018
The replacment kit arrived and fits perfectly. I changed the ignition and tank locks. Have yet to do the saddle lock but that's not a real priority. The new keys have to be coded but for now I just keep the old one close to the hiss receptor when starting.
I did a few long rides when I had the hotwire switch installed and it seems to me that the hiss system only checks on start-ups.
The US kit was also so much cheaper. I payed about 200 US dollars for a full replacement kit which in the EU would be about 1000 Euro.
Anyway, I'm glad this episode came to a happy ending.

Attachments

• IMG20180830142348.jpg
    IMG20180830142348.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 40

J-train

CBR650F
Jan 4, 2019
The replacment kit arrived and fits perfectly. I changed the ignition and tank locks. Have yet to do the saddle lock but that's not a real priority. The new keys have to be coded but for now I just keep the old one close to the hiss receptor when starting.
I did a few long rides when I had the hotwire switch installed and it seems to me that the hiss system only checks on start-ups.
The US kit was also so much cheaper. I payed about 200 US dollars for a full replacement kit which in the EU would be about 1000 Euro.
Anyway, I'm glad this episode came to a happy ending.

Can you please send me the link to where you got the kit from...I just brought a 2016 cbr650f engine to put on go kart but found out I need new keys and I didn't get any with engine only got ingnition barrel witch is loose and ECU and what not.. so now if I'm correct I need to get new ignition barrel.
Send off barrel and ECU and the guy will make keys and code the new keys to the ecu.

Dedykriss

CBR650F
Jan 2, 2023
Riding Since
Hello,

Somebody messed with my bike and now the ignition contact is broken. I still have both keys but need to change the front ignition switch. I managed to take it off and am looking to order a new one but it seems to be on back order until November (in Europe). This is quite a big deal for me as it's my only transportation.
It got me thinking though. Could I wire up a switch to bridge the contact? Basically hotwiring the bike but as the hiss is on there it could be a temporary solution. On the electric diagram the ignition seems to be a simple two pole switch but read online of some cbrs having zener diodes in it as a security feature.
Any help is highly appreciated!

Wouter
Hi how did you take the ignition off?
I cant turn my keys at the moment and the steering is in lock position

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Hi how did you take the ignition off?
I cant turn my keys at the moment and the steering is in lock position
They are usually mounted with security screws that need a special tool or be cut off.

Youll have to remove the top triple clamp to get to them.

Top Bottom