• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650Rs CB650R tuning issues

ECHELONWARRIOR

CB650R ABS
Aug 22, 2020
orlando, fl
Riding Since
so i have a 2020 cb650R (american market) have a full black widow 200mm exhaust a DNA air filter and blocked off pair valves. while getting the bike tuned at about 10.5rpm we noticed the hp and trq started to cut out like igniton and or fuel was breaking up. it did this as well on the same bike bone stock just to get an idea of hp. stock the bike put down 80hp and 43trq after a few pulls on the dyno and some tuning done trhough the ecu using woolich racing file for the cb650R we were able to get 88hp and 47trq but was still breaking up and making a consistent poppong noise through the exhaust. does anyone have any ideas on what this could be or what would cause it?
bike has 2800 miles on it we ran it with traction control ON and OFF and neither changed it.

ECHELONWARRIOR

CB650R ABS
Aug 22, 2020
orlando, fl
Riding Since
Here is a dyno of the stock bike pull as well as after being tuned.

Attachments

• 0043F390-00F2-4733-A023-FD9477B2C323.jpeg
    0043F390-00F2-4733-A023-FD9477B2C323.jpeg
    624.6 KB · Views: 74
  • D16CF358-9A12-43D4-969A-C51CF6FC0382.jpeg
    D16CF358-9A12-43D4-969A-C51CF6FC0382.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 77

Cbat

CBR650F ABS
May 13, 2018
What's up with A/F up to 5k rpm? Lean. Assume the large chatter at the end is rev limiter?

ECHELONWARRIOR

CB650R ABS
Aug 22, 2020
orlando, fl
Riding Since
What's up with A/F up to 5k rpm? Lean. Assume the large chatter at the end is rev limiter?
That was just him getting it setup on the dyno, nothing to worry about.
At that RPM you may be hitting a programmed rev limit?
That would make sense if the rev limits weren’t erased in the woolich programming but the tuning lets you turn off all those things including the o2 sensor.

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
Did you upgrade anything in the fuel system? You may be simply not getting enough fuel to compensate for the increased airflow and decreased backpressure.

ECHELONWARRIOR

CB650R ABS
Aug 22, 2020
orlando, fl
Riding Since
Did you upgrade anything in the fuel system? You may be simply not getting enough fuel to compensate for the increased airflow and decreased backpressure.
No I did intake, exhaust, and pair valve then cut holes in the plates behind the intake meshes to get more air but at the same time no one in this whole site has needed to do a fuel upgrade for those mods.

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
No I did intake, exhaust, and pair valve then cut holes in the plates behind the intake meshes to get more air but at the same time no one in this whole site has needed to do a fuel upgrade for those mods.
Without being there, its tough to diagnose this remotely. Somewhere early on in this forum, miweber929 @miweber929 made a point about differences between a 650F and a 600RR. One specific point that the Master Jedi reinforced is the 600RR has 2 injectors per cylinder, to accommodate the extra fueling required at higher RPMs. I'm just guessing, but I suspect the stock injectors and the fuel pressure are barely adequate to fuel the motor at 10.5K. Once you free up some ponies, you may be seeing that limitation.

Again, just a remote guess, not a validated test result.

ECHELONWARRIOR

CB650R ABS
Aug 22, 2020
orlando, fl
Riding Since
after spending some time with it i think we have found the issue, it has to do with the traction control and abs wheel speed sensors not seeing any load on the front wheels and seeing it on the rear, even with the tcs turned off it still does this but when you run it on the street it doesnt do it.

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
after spending some time with it i think we have found the issue, it has to do with the traction control and abs wheel speed sensors not seeing any load on the front wheels and seeing it on the rear, even with the tcs turned off it still does this but when you run it on the street it doesnt do it.
That actually makes sense. MIsmatch of WSS data will trigger the TCS to intervene. I did not mention it originally because a lot of US 650s are not ABS/TCS equipped (I think its standard in Europe). Is ABS/TCS standard on 2019-forward in the US?

ECHELONWARRIOR

CB650R ABS
Aug 22, 2020
orlando, fl
Riding Since
19 is not standard. you can choose to get it or not
20-21 is standard and can only be had in abs/tcs

honestly i just figured with you turning the system off that it would not have an issue but it seems that no matter what if it sees different speeds it still over rides it. was half tempted to pull the fuse for abs/tcs while on the dyno to get rid of the bouncing but the tuner said it was unneeded so now we are just powering through.

ECHELONWARRIOR

CB650R ABS
Aug 22, 2020
orlando, fl
Riding Since
soooo to update this, ive run the bike on the street and it does it WITH and WITHOUT tcs and now that it isnt on a dyno both wheels are spinning so im now doubting the tcs abs issue. it also did this stock with no mods at all.

ECHELONWARRIOR

CB650R ABS
Aug 22, 2020
orlando, fl
Riding Since
So for any of you who have followed my bike or know the things I’ve run into or know the situation you know this is the second time the bike has been dynod and the first time it was on the dyno the bike had a “misfire” and started breaking up at 10k rpm. Well the issue was finally solved and figured out today. The issue is a fuel pump/fuel pressure regulator. The pump is not able to make enough pressure or pump enough fuel at the high rpm and it’s causing it to lean out and break up. If anyone else besides me has this issue there’s your fix lol.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
So for any of you who have followed my bike or know the things I’ve run into or know the situation you know this is the second time the bike has been dynod and the first time it was on the dyno the bike had a “misfire” and started breaking up at 10k rpm. Well the issue was finally solved and figured out today. The issue is a fuel pump/fuel pressure regulator. The pump is not able to make enough pressure or pump enough fuel at the high rpm and it’s causing it to lean out and break up. If anyone else besides me has this issue there’s your fix lol.
What exactly was the fix, new OEM pump/regulator or aftermarket/upgrade?

Ive

CBR650R ABS
May 13, 2020
USA
I'd like to know what your injector duty-cycle was reporting/set at while doing the tune. Anything above 80% should've been a red flag to your tuner regarding possible fuel delivery issues.

ECHELONWARRIOR

CB650R ABS
Aug 22, 2020
orlando, fl
Riding Since
So if it’s not been swapped yet, how did you figure out that is the issue and it’s not pumping out enough fuel? Fuel pressure gauge
well on the dyno you can see it going very lean after about 9k rpm so that tells you its not getting enough fuel and also when you remove the tank off the bike it leaks and wont stop so the pressure regulator on the tank is not stopping the flow to the pepcock as it should

ECHELONWARRIOR

CB650R ABS
Aug 22, 2020
orlando, fl
Riding Since
I'd like to know what your injector duty-cycle was reporting/set at while doing the tune. Anything above 80% should've been a red flag to your tuner regarding possible fuel delivery issues.
well the old tuner wasnt very good so he wouldnt have had enough knowledge to have seen the red flag anyway. the new tuner noticed all the signs very quickly.

Top Bottom