Cb650r or Cb650f

Chris B.

CB650F
Jun 3, 2024
Riding Since
Hello I'm looking in getting my first A2 (capped at 48hp) bike,

now I'm standing in between the Cb650f and the Cb650r. In my region I saw Cb650f used with 20 000 kilometres for around 5500 euros and Cb650r for around 6500 with 20 000 kilometres. I feel like that the cb650f is to overpriced for it's kilometres and the age of the bike or am I wrong. And I'm not sure if the heavier price for the Cb650r is absolutely worth it.

What would you say is a fair price for the Cb650f with around 20 000 kilometres? And at what age of the bike?

And what are your experiences with capping the Cb650f at 48hp?

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Either will be fine, pick the one that fits your budget.

Search around for cycle ads in your area to see what things are selling for. Here in the US a bike can vary 50% in cost if I’m buying it up north, in the south or on either coast.

Chris B.

CB650F
Jun 3, 2024
Riding Since
Thanks for your help,

What should I look out for when I'm looking at a used bike? Are the some parts I can have a look at which show how well the bike was treated?

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Thanks for your help,

What should I look out for when I'm looking at a used bike? Are the some parts I can have a look at which show how well the bike was treated?
If you are VERY new to all of this, I’d find a friend who has some experience to bring along, it will help immensely. Things I look at: damage to all the extremities like levers, bar ends, turn signals, engine cases, etc. which tells you if the bike has been down. Not that it makes the bike not good, just means you need to be careful. I also look at the wheel edges for scrapes, nicks, bends, etc. meaning it’s hit pot holes or he a hard crash.

I also look at the steering stops, inside the fuel tank, the oil, the oil filter and ask for any service records they have. Check the tires over for excessive wear and be sure what the seller is telling you jives with what you’re seeing: if they say it’s just had an oil change and the filter is grimy and caked with dirt, and the oil is black you know that’s not the case. Some thing with them saying it’s never been down; if you see damaged levers but fresh covers on the engine case you know they are covering up a wreck.

I will say this: every deal I should have walked away from because I didn’t feel right about it and didn’t I regretted not. And every one I felt a good vibe from was fine.

And if you’re unsure, before putting real money down, pay a shop $100 or so to do an inspection of the bike or split it with the seller. If they are legit, they’ll be fine with it, if not, walk.

Hope this helps!!!

Arthur45

CB650F ABS
May 2, 2018
Although modern bikes if well looked after will do major miles, I always try to buy with a low mileage and has been used regularly...........also been serviced well. Depending on what mileage ones done, consider what will be needed in a bit.....say would a valve clearance check be needed in a couple of thousand miles?

Appearance wise I try to buy stock.

Basic things I look at is all your consumables, chain, sprockets, brakes and so on.

CB650F or CB650R don't have any major issues that I'm aware of.......just some have exletienced a very minor oil leak from the water pump.

JDude

CB650R ABS
May 20, 2020
Ottawa
Riding Since
My thoughts as a person that never had to deal with a restricted license, for your first bike purchase a light bike that maxes hp out at 48hp will be a more enjoyable ride to start out. When you get your regular license then get something that is weight appropriate for the hp that you’ll enjoy ripping around on. I know I wouldn’t enjoy riding a 48hp Honda 650F or R.

Arthur45

CB650F ABS
May 2, 2018
Low mileage used regularly......................

Opinions differ........what I was trying to say was a bike that doesn't have lots of miles but has been used...............not say had use in the first year but then sat in a garage for a long period of time!

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Low mileage used regularly......................

Opinions differ........what I was trying to say was a bike that doesn't have lots of miles but has been used...............not say had use in the first year but then sat in a garage for a long period of time!
I was just giving you a little crap, I do get what you’re getting at and no harm meant.

I’m just saying though, low miles and regular use are really 2 different things, and it’s hard to get one without the other. I’d probably choose a bike that was 3 years old with 6,000 miles ridden every other weekend over a 3 year old bike with 1,500 miles only ridden every day 2 1/2 miles round trip to work. That second bike would never get up to temperature or ever run in correctly if all that was done were short trips. Hell, the gas would be super old in it, the battery and charging system would have a lot of stress always trying to keep the battery charging, the oil would look like chocolate milk, etc.

Differing opinions, however.

JH09

CB650R ABS
Jul 29, 2020
Riding Since
My thoughts as a person that never had to deal with a restricted license, for your first bike purchase a light bike that maxes hp out at 48hp will be a more enjoyable ride to start out. When you get your regular license then get something that is weight appropriate for the hp that you’ll enjoy ripping around on. I know I wouldn’t enjoy riding a 48hp Honda 650F or R.
both these models can be un-restricted once the full license is obtained, correct?

Redrocket

CBR650R
Mar 17, 2023
Riding Since
They can, though on this forum it seems that this is not always straightforward. Personally I too would rather have a good A2 (UK) bike than a restricted full power one. To me, a bike designed to meet a power limit is likely to be more fun than a heavier, restricted bike designed to have twice the power. I have a full power CBR650R. Recently I also bought a CL500. This uses the 46bhp 471cc Honda twin engine that is considered to be one of the best A2 licence bikes around. I can only say that the bike is utterly brilliant, far more fun than my CBR would be with the same power. A2 bikes can easily be resold, as many new riders prefer not to buy new. Each to his own.

Top Bottom