• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CB650F low speed/rpm strange grinding noise

helman

CBR650F ABS
Oct 2, 2019
Australia
lol, I have to admit I was considering the Ninja 650 for a moment before buying my CBR, but that bike's just tiny.
I test rode a Ninja last week as I was pissed at being sold a LAMS Honda and not being told it was such. I wasn't impressed with the engine noise and vibration, though I must admit it felt quicker and I liked the instrumentation more than the Honda. I decided to pay to get the bike de-restricted instead.

Boardguru

CBR650F
Jun 12, 2020
Riding Since
I have an 18 and it makes this noise at first I thought it was the chain slipping on the engine sprocket which it wasn’t then I thought it may have been the fuel but it wasn’t. if I ride the clutch a bit I don’t get it I guess it sounds like the chain cutting into the plastics which it isn’t bloody annoying but I’m glad it’s not just my bike

densil101

CBR650F ABS
Dec 19, 2019
So my CBR650F appears to be making this noise and I can confirm that it’s pretty irritating. So the PAIR valve makes this noise even when working correctly ie. there’s absolutely no point in getting it replaced or anything? Many thanks!

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
So my CBR650F appears to be making this noise and I can confirm that it’s pretty irritating. So the PAIR valve makes this noise even when working correctly ie. there’s absolutely no point in getting it replaced or anything? Many thanks!
From a distance it's hard to pinpoint what every noise is or isn't. Even if you post a video it's hard to know exactly if yours is the same as someone else's, etc.

What I can say with certainty is if at idle to say 3,500 rpms sitting still you have a distinctive tapping/clicking/clacking/tapping sound that goes away after that, it's most likely the very loud PAIR system this bike has. And I can confirm it is working as designed so replacing parts won't help.

If it's a developing grinding noise, or getting worse as time goes on, I am not convinced that is what you are hearing.

Top Bottom