• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's Catalytic Converters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remlap

CB650F
Apr 19, 2022
Riding Since
One of the reasons I updated the exhaust system is two fold, to remove a source (catalytic converter) of extreme heat from underneath the engine, and in the process shed nearly nine pounds. I felt that since our engines come from the factory in lean states of tune making these changes would lower cylinder head temperatures and under some circumstances increase performance. And for the way I ride which is conservatively 12 miles round trip four days per week it wasn’t necessary to flash the ECM or dyno . Still, I needed the peace of mind of adequate A/F above 4000rpm, thus the PCFC. Most of my riding is under 4000rpm and I like the way the R77 Yoshimura sounds without the db killer.
Anyway, I’m new here and catching up on some of the performance discussions re aftermarket full exhaust systems, and others. And my question is why wouldn’t, if affordability isn’t a concern, would one choose not to install an aftermarket full exhaust system with its corresponding weight benefits and huge reductions in heat?

Attachments

• 160E677C-2F5B-4162-871D-1BA457DA6AF5.jpeg
    160E677C-2F5B-4162-871D-1BA457DA6AF5.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 23

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
May 30, 2014
Hampshire, England
Some people are subject to legislation that prevents doing just that.

Some people put the environment above all and want the emissions equipment intact.

Some people like oem looks. Some like the oem sound.

There'll be other reasons too.

Brian C.

CBR650R ABS
Nov 26, 2021
Northwich
Riding Since
My Reasoning would be all of these, with the exception of the 1st. Not a fan of the looks of any of the aftermarket exhausts, I tend to think if you want a more powerful bike, go and buy a more powerful Bike. Given the emissions standards on Bikes are so far behind Cars, deliberately making them more polluting seems Crazy (to me at least). Plus I am perfectly happy with the sound from the standard exhaust.
The heat question is an interesting one, but the system is seemingly designed to cope with this, I've certainly had no over heating issues and if its not causing a problem I don't see a need to fix it?
Each to their own of course, if you have the money and the desire then go for it, but for me, I will be keeping the emissions stuff standard, likely for the life of the Bike. Unless it causes issues down the line.

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
I’m locking this thread as this topic is covered in about 6 other places. Click the exhaust tab next to the title.

The TWC produces no heat on its own but starts working when the exhaust temp gets the substrate up to about 700 deg F. The average A/F ratio of 14.7:1 is not maximum power but its not excessively lean either. The ECM will richen the mixture when operating conditions warrant it (WOT, high load, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom