• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

Buying a paddock stand

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm thinking of buying a paddock stand to ease the process of lubing the chain. I'm not exactly sure where the paddock stand would actually connect with the bike to lift it. Is it the bolts used to secure the rear wheel to the swing arm? So I'm not sure if there's different type of (rear wheel) paddock stands and what to look out for to know if it's compatible with the CBR650F. Any tips?

Rhys

MotoGP
May 27, 2017
Midlands, UK
I've just ordered an ABBA stand which should be here tomorrow.

Being new to the motorcycling world I did a bit of research and from what I've found the ease of use and cost of the ABBA made it a no brainer to choose it.

Last edited:

StephaneCBR

CBR650F ABS
May 23, 2015
Montreal, Canada
I bought the Honda OEM paddock stand few weeks after buying the bike, it only support the bike from under the swingarm. No need to add ugly bobbin to the nice looking swingarm. There are similar models for cheaper than the oem one. I have an Oxford one for the front that just lift from under the fork. I use them to support my bike for the 5-6 months of storage. Good enough to do my oil changes and lube the chain; also good to clean the wheel because you can rotate while cleaning it.honda_paddock_stand.jpgoxford_big_black_bike_front_stand.jpg

Duncan

CBR650F
Honorable Discharge
Odominator
May 3, 2015
SEQ Australia
I can confirm that it's a mostly out of the box set up.
the adjustment is the fiddly bit, but thats just setting the pick up width to sit under the bits.
And the putting together part.
you should have change from half and hour.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Stand are one of those things you can spend a little and be just fine or spend more and be just fine. Most people can't see spending "a lot" on stands so they get the $75 set or buy whatever Cycle Gear has on sale (they have good models and cheap ones, btw) but I can tell you from experience buying GOOD stands will make a difference in the long haul. The cheap units will work fine so I'm not bashing anyone for using them, I just think why would I compromise on something that keeps my bike from falling over when I work on it?

I recommend Pit Bull or a Pit Bull style stand. I have had the same PB front/rear set for over 15 years now and they've seen 20+ bikes come and go, I use them all the time for normal day to day storage, winter storage, I've have zero problems putting the bike on them and sitting myself and a passenger on to check things (try that with a cheap stand), the bike is rock solid if you are working on it and they've had exactly zero maintenance done to them in that time. Get a setup with the reversible pads that go under the swing arm or flip to use bobbins (if your swingarm has them) and the front unit that can convert from an under fork for cleaning and tire removals to an under the triple tree for fork service.

Best money you'll ever spend.

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
Sellers on Amazon (co.uk or .com) don't ship to my country (The Netherlands) :(
Looking around for other sellers....

Driftin

Amateur
Jun 8, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I have a Pit Bull stand that is reversible. The FZ09 I just sold had spools and I could put the bike on the stand single handed. Without the spools it takes 2 people to put on the stand. +1 for PB and spools

Jerry

CBR650F ABS
May 18, 2017
The Netherlands
I lubed my chain without paddock stand last week. Wasn't as annoying as I expected but a stand would be nice to have. Local shop had paddocks stands but they didn't have the adapter in stock that's needed to be able to use it on the swingarm instead of with the bobbins, so I decided not to buy it yet until they have those in stock again.
Also, because it's my birthday in 3 weeks, I'll probably wait for that because it seems like a decent birthday gift :)

ADIOS600

CB650F ABS
May 16, 2017
LINCOLNSHIRE
The abba stand is a lovely piece of kit, nice and safe too. I use a paddock stand for the rear to set the chain tension, but the bike is too heavy for me to hold on my own when putting it on the stand,i have to have a helper to do that.I am working on a tubular grab rail that fits around the seat so that I can hopefully hold it on my own. I wil upload a picture when its complete.

Top Bottom