• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CB650R Buyer guide

Jxx

CB650R
May 28, 2024
Riding Since
Hello everyone, I am from Australia (Adelaide) and looking to buy a CB650R or CBR650R (2019), as my budget doesn't allow me to go more than that, most of the bikes have done (20k - 30k) km
What should I look for in issues on these?

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Hello everyone, I am from Australia (Adelaide) and looking to buy a CB650R or CBR650R (2019), as my budget doesn't allow me to go more than that, most of the bikes have done (20k - 30k) km
What should I look for in issues on these?
There is very little to look at with these bikes besides the normal things to look for in a used bike (crash damage, poor maint, worn parts, etc.) with the only “glaring” thing being certain 650R units have had issues with dripping oil and or coolant from the water pump area.

Very few have had it, and most were solved by a replacement waterpump but there are a few units that persisted dripping even after multiple replacements. It’s not a giant, catastrophic leak but a drip enough to make a mess out of the area and cause you to have to top up the oil between changes. So I would say check around the waterpump area looking for drips or anyone that tried to fix it by smearing sealant in the area.

Again, it was only a few units, the vast majority do not have issues. Search on here for more info.

Happy shopping!!!!

JDude

CB650R ABS
May 20, 2020
Ottawa
Riding Since
Are you looking to purchase a restricted or modified unrestricted model? It’ll make a huge difference for you.

Top Bottom