• Welcome - be sure to add your motorcycle to the Showcase!

CB650R Bought 2020 CB650R > SOLD > Missed it so bad > Bought 2021 CB650R > DON'T LAUGH :)

mikewchandler

CB650R ABS
Mar 14, 2020
Riding Since
So, I sold my 2020 CB650R 6+ months ago after my Mom passed and my son turned 16 (bought him a car). Missed the freedom of riding and realized how good it was/is for my mental health. Started looking for the "perfect" bike since I wasn't really limited and had already tried out the 650. After much review and thinking, I'm back to the 650. Just bought a matte black 2021 CB650R and rode it home yesterday. I plan on riding when I can and not worrying too much about it if I can't ride for a couple weeks here and there. This bike really fits my size (I'm 5'8"/140lbs), skill level and needs. So glad to be back. Don't laugh as I make up my mind about what I want/need. :) Thanks guys for a great forum. Hopefully I can be helpful and/or enjoy seeing your pics/posts.

Will post pics after I do my tail tidy and bar end mirrors. :)

JH09

CB650R ABS
Jul 29, 2020
Riding Since
welcome back! no reason to laugh, you made a great decision. agree about the mental health aspect 100%

did you cross-shop anything else?

mikewchandler

CB650R ABS
Mar 14, 2020
Riding Since
Seriously looked at several different things. I am most interested in cafe racer type sport bikes, naked in the $10,000 or less range. Looked at the Vitpilen long and hard. Looked at the CB1000R. Also looked at the new Trident. If money were no object, I really like the BMW range and a few of the electric bikes that are super pricey. But, the 4 cylinder smooth power is hard to beat. It's heavy enough to perform well on the interstate, small enough to handle in town, easy enough to not get away from me, fast enough to be fun.

I might have pulled the trigger on the vitpilen but there aren't any dealers or service departments in Arkansas and its reliability isn't quite as good as Honda. I have 3 Honda dealers here within 1 hour of my house...so in the end it was b/t a new 650 or a used 1000. I went with the 650 again. Thanks for the welcome! :)

Honda_Fan

CB650R ABS
Jun 27, 2021
Riding Since
Seriously looked at several different things. I am most interested in cafe racer type sport bikes, naked in the $10,000 or less range. Looked at the Vitpilen long and hard. Looked at the CB1000R. Also looked at the new Trident. If money were no object, I really like the BMW range and a few of the electric bikes that are super pricey. But, the 4 cylinder smooth power is hard to beat. It's heavy enough to perform well on the interstate, small enough to handle in town, easy enough to not get away from me, fast enough to be fun.

I might have pulled the trigger on the vitpilen but there aren't any dealers or service departments in Arkansas and its reliability isn't quite as good as Honda. I have 3 Honda dealers here within 1 hour of my house...so in the end it was b/t a new 650 or a used 1000. I went with the 650 again. Thanks for the welcome! :)
I used to own a svartpilen and I got to tell you that there are no support for the that bike. If you think oh it’s basically ktm well I’ll tell that ktm dealers won’t touch it with a 6 foot pole. Also quality of materials isn’t good because lots of surface rust came up within 6 months of riding it. Don’t get me wrong it’s a fun bike if you can live with the shortcomings and there are plenty but I’m back to trusty old Honda. Battery on my svartpilen started giving up on my long ride throwing a can bus error basically not letting the bike start due to low voltage that was enough for me especially since it stranded me 60 miles from home.

mikewchandler

CB650R ABS
Mar 14, 2020
Riding Since
I used to own a svartpilen and I got to tell you that there are no support for the that bike. If you think oh it’s basically ktm well I’ll tell that ktm dealers won’t touch it with a 6 foot pole. Also quality of materials isn’t good because lots of surface rust came up within 6 months of riding it. Don’t get me wrong it’s a fun bike if you can live with the shortcomings and there are plenty but I’m back to trusty old Honda. Battery on my svartpilen started giving up on my long ride throwing a can bus error basically not letting the bike start due to low voltage that was enough for me especially since it stranded me 60 miles from home.
Yikes. That's exactly what I was afraid of. The bike looks awesome but I don't want to mess with something not reliable.

Honda_Fan

CB650R ABS
Jun 27, 2021
Riding Since
Yikes. That's exactly what I was afraid of. The bike looks awesome but I don't want to mess with something not reliable.
Nothing beats Honda that’s why I came back to the brand after trying couple different in between. I want to be to not worry about my bike or my car every time I start it not knowing if I’m going to make it back.

McGrumpy

CB650R ABS
Mar 27, 2019
Germany
Welcome back! The CB650R is such a brilliant motorcycle. You can even tour with it without any problems. :happy:

honda-cb650r-jpg.10798

mikewchandler

CB650R ABS
Mar 14, 2020
Riding Since
I'm not laughing. I'm actually a little jealous you got to experience the joy of riding this bike home for the first time twice!
That's a great way to look at it! I'm lucky. That's for sure.

Top Bottom