• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

All 650's Bike storage - best practise

BKosr2

CB650F ABS
Oct 14, 2020
Hi, I have been storing my 2017 Honda CB 650F ABS since July. Is it good practise to turn the engine on once in a while and let it run? I have heard conflicting advice, so wondering what you guys think. (I am not near it to be able to take it for a ride myself);

Atucker

CBR650R
Aug 18, 2020
I'm curious as well. Early on I used to start and idle my bikes periodically thinking it was a good practice to keep fluids moving and I tried to do so at least monthly while in storage. I've since heard that is not a good practice as the stator doesn't have enough juice to charge at idle and the bike never really heats up as much as riding it would. The result is that the oil doesn't vaporize any condensation and actually makes it worse. Whether or not that is true is way beyond my expertise! Now I just leave them on the battery tender and only run them when the weather is nice enough to actually ride. Haven't had a problem using either method so can't really say one is better than the other.

Itchytoe

CB650F
Dec 15, 2019
If you're going to start it, ride it until the oil gets hot enough to vaporize all the water in it. If you don't, you're just stressing the battery and circulating water through the oil system.

Here's a few videos for you. Ryan's isn't exactly safe for work. He does say a few profanities, so don't watch it at work. Then again, if you've got a job where you can reasonably watch YouTube videos, they probably won't care. I agree with Ryan's info the most, but pick which video you like the most and do what they suggest.

Notice how none of them suggest letting the bike idle for a few minutes every few weeks. That should answer your question directly.

Top Bottom