• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

Other Best free nav app?

Xorro

CBR650F ABS
May 17, 2016
Northants, UK
Riding Since
I'm interested to know what free navigation apps you've used and what you thought to them?
In particular I would like to know how easy it is to plot a custom route (e.g. not direct).

Thanks!

GPJake

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Mar 8, 2015
United States / Northern KY
Riding Since
I have 3 apps on my phone, but haven't used them a ton.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.reverllc.rever
  • Best developed. Clean and functional.
  • Record rides. Garage of your bikes.
  • Very active developers, lots of updates.
  • Community "challenges".
  • Ability to have crash alerts, groups, live map feed of riders in your group.
  • Integration with Butler Motorcycle Maps.
  • Some of that requires premium, which I have never bought.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.motobuykers.weride
  • Some similar features to above, but less overall.
  • Not updated as frequently. Clunky and buggy in my experiences.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.pirelli.diablosuperbikerus
  • Seems better suited for track riding.
  • Can record lean angles.
  • Less community aspects. No groups /friends etc.

robert-s-mz

Moto3
Apr 23, 2016
Germany
Hi there,

I have discovered OsmAnd recently and am using it since. Only have it on a not very powerful Android, so sometimes it freezes but not often and only during setup, not while on the road. To me it's the best free solution as there's also a workround to the limited 10 downloads within the app. You can actually google OsmAnd Maps and download them for free!!

To create a custom map, i use MyMaps from google.
Check this website and scroll down to Google My Maps for instructions http://www.beginnerbiker.com/2016/08/howto-plan-follow-google-maps-route-motorcycle-phone/

This map can be exported as kml which then needs to be converted to gpx, which can be done one hundreds of websites. I am using this one http://www.gpsies.com/convert.do

The gpx file can then be transferred to the tracks folder of the OsmAnd app.

The app itself has plenty of options and it took me some time to have it just right. P.s.: also used it for a tracking route through a forest, there's different setup possibilities by foot, bike or car. Each with i.e. own POI preferences. I use gas stations for Car / Motorbike use, or restaurants and landmarks if i go tracking.

Any questions, let me know. It sounds complicated but once you got the hang it's super easy. Btw, the first link also explains how to import to the OsmAnd App.

I recommend to set only start and finish points in MyMaps and then drag the route. If you then dont follow the entire path it sends you towards the route but doesnt direct you back to a point that you've missed. I love the app and will keep it!!

quigonquinn

CBR650R
Feb 17, 2020
I know this is an old thread, but I figure asking here is better than starting a new one (yay searching!)

Anyway. Has anyone had any luck using Rever? I saw it in an ad somewhere, but can't really figure it out. And I'm pretty tech/app savvy. I think it's just poorly laid out. But the concept seems interesting. So, any tips?

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
I know this is an old thread, but I figure asking here is better than starting a new one (yay searching!)

Anyway. Has anyone had any luck using Rever? I saw it in an ad somewhere, but can't really figure it out. And I'm pretty tech/app savvy. I think it's just poorly laid out. But the concept seems interesting. So, any tips?

i rotate between Waze, Google Maps and CaliMoto depending on if it’s a work trip or pleasure cruise. (Shortest and Quickest isn‘t necessarily the most fun here in SoCal) 🤓

GregTheWalrus3

CB650R ABS
May 20, 2020
Riding Since

I’ve been using Rever for about a month now... Though I’ve only used the live tracking feature so far. Typically I just ride out in a general direction and go where I feel like in the moment, so for that style of riding it’s useful to be able to go back and remember the good roads I find along the way, areas I want to explore more, etc.

Unfortunately I haven’t taken any trips yet where routes are pre-planned, so I can’t speak to how well it works for navigation. I am planning a small trip for end of summer so I’ll probably test it out at that point, but I think you need to pay the subscription to import planned GPX routes.

quigonquinn

CBR650R
Feb 17, 2020
For normal point a to point b, I use waze. Rever seems great for pre-planned trips and, like you said, tracking where I go. Does the live tracking work all the time? Or do you have to have the app running? There's very little info out there, that I can find at least. I may just have to play around with it more

Top Bottom