Welcome back - please login below. New here? It's quick & easy to register!

Register Log in
  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Battery

Rtw6095

CBR650F ABS
Thread starter #1
After 4+ years my battery is beginning to die. After letting it stand for 7hrs its power has reduced and the motorbike doesn't start. You can tell its going to happen due to the starting whirr being slow. Press the fun button and boom it dies along with dash and head light.

My observations is sat at 12.4v when stood still. Start bike (if it starts) and it drops to below 8v (not sure in exact V) then fires up (sometimes)

My question is.......
Is it reasonable to expect my battery to be replaced after 4 years and 20k miles.

Devilsfan

CB650F
Yep! Heck, I've had batteries go bad on me in less than 4 years!!!

All depends on the battery and how much draw you're using. With all these gadgets and add-on's a battery is going to drain a lot quicker.

I will suggest you look at decent batteries but nothing "state of the art" and over-priced. I normally just get one from my local dealership that's reasonably priced. Even the more expensive batteries can go bad on you sooner than expected. Just sayin', you spend your money how you want! For me, after 2-3 years, I'm going to probably put a new one in regardless.

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
Depending on how the battery is stored and how long left idle over the winter 4 years could be the end of it.

I'm at 5 years and my battery is Ok, but has definitely "given notice" that 6 years might be too much.

For reference my bike is kept in a brick garage, so doesn't see harsh temperatures. Batteries don't like the cold.

J

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
I seen much cheaper ones however I was advised to buy one of these from an old guy at work. Hopefully do me well for a few years. Seen them cheaper online however I needed one ASAP.
NEVER buy cheap batteries unless you want to be stranded somewhere or replace them frequently. “You get what you pay for” adage definitely applies to all electronics in a vehicle

Brammers

CBR650F ABS
Staff
I went for one too, along with a optimate4 to keep it in shape over the winter.

Blagged a deal on sportsbikeshop (they emailed me a 10% code), so I got both for £128 delivered.

Next day with normal price of £85 on the battery though (assuming you're in a position to be able to wait). Halfords is a good shout if you're in a "need it same day" position though!

J