• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CB650F Bar end removal

GlennR

CB650F ABS
Jul 20, 2021
Riding Since
Hi All,

I am looking for some wisdom. I need to remove my bar ends, but they just spin (even when grips and cloth used!) I don’t want to damage them as I wish to refit after my hot grips have been fitted. Is there any hond bike techs that can give some advice that will be very appreciated.

Hope you are all enjoying the fine bike weather today!

Glenn.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Hi All,

I am looking for some wisdom. I need to remove my bar ends, but they just spin (even when grips and cloth used!) I don’t want to damage them as I wish to refit after my hot grips have been fitted. Is there any hond bike techs that can give some advice that will be very appreciated.

Hope you are all enjoying the fine bike weather today!

Glenn.
Search the forum a bit, thus has been covered before.

Basically, you have 3 issues going against you that has to be dealt with: the screws themselves are held by blue locktite, the heads of the screws are a Phillips head, JS screw and they are mounted to the inner weights that float in rubber bushings and spin. So you need to overcome all of them to get them off.

You can heat the screw which should help break down the locktite, but don’t heat it to the point you burn the paint off. I have also had good luck using an impact driver to release the screw (it’s an inexpensive device you whack with a hammer and it spins, works great for stuck bolts), you can use a strap wrench to hold the bar ends which can work better than the cloth or you can push in the tabs the holds the bar end into the bar, pull out the entire assembly and have a much better look at what you’re against.

My suggestion is this: get an impact driver, they’re like $10, heat the bolt to break down the locktite, then use the driver to break the screw free. Note I’m saying impact driver, not impact wrench. One of these:

Hope this helps!!!

GlennR

CB650F ABS
Jul 20, 2021
Riding Since
Hi

Thanks for your reply and the guidance is appreciated. I do have a impact driver that you talk of. Just one I could do with a bit more clarity, you say push the tabs that hold the bar end? Are these behind the grip rubber? Do you have a picture to reference?

Great help so far!

Regards.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
Hi

Thanks for your reply and the guidance is appreciated. I do have a impact driver that you talk of. Just one I could do with a bit more clarity, you say push the tabs that hold the bar end? Are these behind the grip rubber? Do you have a picture to reference?

Great help so far!

Regards.
Under the grip. Look up a microfiche of the handlebar and you’ll see the assembly.

If you have the driver, I’d go heat and the impact first.

GlennR

CB650F ABS
Jul 20, 2021
Riding Since
Thanks so much buddy I’ll heat slightly first and impact drive out. I’ll let you know how it goes.👍🏻

keatingr

CB650R ABS
Feb 17, 2023
Riding Since
An impact driver will take it out, did for me. Unfortunately when I screwed the end back in, I did not apply any thread lock and they fell off while driving! Take care when replacing as just putting them back in tightly will likely not be enough. I've now had to try to replace the entire bar end and internal holder with a replacement and what a nightmare. I wish I never touched the bar ends at all. A real headache.

Top Bottom