• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CB650R Bar End Mirrors

darby_07

CB650R ABS
Jun 12, 2019
Hello all -- first post here!

Picked up a 2019 CB650R about a month ago and am loving the bike. Got rid of the shovel rear fender and installed the R&G Tail Tidy (excellent fit) and want to swap my mirrors next. Looking to see how anyone has installed bar end mirrors without removing the dampening cores? I've seen other bikes with different bar ends that allow for the clamp style bar end mirrors to attach to, but can't seem to find anything for these recent year Hondas that will work with the cores.

I bought some cheap mirrors not realizing these bikes have cores in the bars that don't accept the traditional style bar end mirrors. Anyone have any ideas?

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I also thought you should know, you'll have to remove the grips and throttle body completely. There are two tabs in the end of the bar you have access to allow the cores removal.
If you know where the tabs are and are willing to scrap a $2 part you can bend them back and pull out the insert without removing anything but the old bar ends. Have a look at the parts fiche and see how it all goes together.

darby_07 @darby_07 the issue you’d run into finding bar end mirrors that screw into the damper in the bar is that the damper spins so you can’t really hang anything from it and expect it to stay in the same spot. Removing that inner weight may or may not increase vibrations felt in the handlebar, some feel it, some don’t, but know they do serve a purpose.

People have swapped bar end mirrors on the bike so it’s doable.

darby_07

CB650R ABS
Jun 12, 2019
So, I ended up removing the cores and using traditional bar end mirrors that use expansion sleeves. Luckily with the bike being brand new I didn't have much trouble getting the clips and cores removed. I did not remove the grips or anything, only the bar ends. Before I did, I went ahead and sourced the replacements in case I jacked them up too bad to put back in if I decided. Looks like I didn't even bend the clips to the point where they should be usable again.

Little trick I found -- used flat head screwdrivers to get the clips protruding out a hair more than they are when fully seated, then used two paint can openers (if you only have one that will still be helpful) as the head of the opener is the exact width of the tabs and the curvature on the head allows it to get behind and provide leverage to compress and pull the clips out.

After riding for about an hour, I honestly can't feel any increase in the vibrations in the bars. Granted my max speed was around 65mph, so no high speeds for long periods of time.

MrLinderman

CB650F ABS
Jun 14, 2019
You guys are lucky, my bar ends were a biatch to remove and involved lots of swear words, seems the year of sitting on the dealership floor in Australian weather had swelled up the rubber and it was a mission to remove but got there in the end. Added some nice blue bar end that where a decent weight to help with vibes
IMG_20190614_214358.jpg
IMG_20190614_215334.jpg

MrLinderman

CB650F ABS
Jun 14, 2019
Hehe I'm inpatient and wanted the new bar ends on asap, but I'll likely get new weight inserts and those adaptors and re add them at some stage of required.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
It’s not just the weight of the bar ends that help the vibration, the length and shape of the internal weights plays a part as well.

I wouldn’t over think it, pull them if you want bar end mirrors, if it vibrates, Sato makes some cool long, heavy internal weights that work great around the $50 mark. I used a set to mount my Throttlemeister on my Ducati and also in my old NC700 and they work great.

MrLinderman

CB650F ABS
Jun 14, 2019
Yer I'll see how she is with the new bar ends, they are weighty and have some internal coverage hence me taking out the old inserts, of it vibes too much then I'll consider replacing the old ones.

darby_07

CB650R ABS
Jun 12, 2019
There is no reason to remove the weight of the handlebars. ;)

I built it this way:
(WARING: Paint-Skills incomming! :bag:)

Highsider Handlebar Ends Alu Curve: Link
Barracuda Honda Handlebar Adapter: Link

View attachment 3367
This is exactly what I was initially looking for. Haha if only I had waited a few more days....

At this point the removal of the cores isn't giving me any grief when riding. Took the bike out for two days and rode about 250 miles -- the only discomfort I was feeling was any of the normal stuff and nothing different in my hands from vibrations. I'm going to leave them as-is for now but will save this for when I need new mirrors. I'm sure my $15 set will break at some point in the next year, if not sooner.

MrLinderman

CB650F ABS
Jun 14, 2019
Had the same experience as Darby, with the the new bar ends and the cores removed I didn't notice any additional or noticeable vibrations, did a good 300km day trip as well, lots of Twistys and highway.

Thomas

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Apr 8, 2017
Germany
I changed to bar end mirrors without the inner weight after running into a few problems. On both the CBR650 and the CB1000 I was still able to move around the bar ends when fully screwed on, or at least it had some play in it. Resulting in position change of the mirror every once in a while, at 160km/h it even untightened itself.
For quite a while I thought about removing or not removing the inner weight - I mean it should have a purpose, right? I asked my Honda dealer and he said I should keep them to counter vibrations. That got me off my plan.
Then one day I realised, that certain brands with very shaky V2 engines and a lot more vibrations have pretty much empty bars, so it can´t be that bad with one of the smootest engine configurations, can it?

Went for the Highsider bar ends and mirrors (can only recommend using them as the mirror sits in a groove there so it can´t just become loose and fly away (it already happened to me once) and they are not more expensive as the rest.
It´s the one with the "clamping screw" (at least Google sais so), the one in the picture McGrumpy @the.happy.biker posted above.
It´s really all just huge drama around nothing tbh and I don´t know why it bothered me so much before I finally decided to test it. Just make sure to tighten all the bolts somewhat firmly and use some Loctite once you figured out the correct position for your liking. Check the bolts on a regular basis. Pretty sure you´ll be fine.

darby_07

CB650R ABS
Jun 12, 2019
My $15 mirrors have already begun deteriorating. I looked into the Highsider stuff, but they only ship to EU countries so those are out. Searching for an alternative setup similar to what you described to maybe put the stock cores back in the bars.

reaperfriend

CB650R ABS
Aug 31, 2018
Viet Nam
Hi lads,

Please spend some time and help out your fellow clueless rider. So I would like to purchase an bar end mirrors from motogadget (like this picture I took on the internet from a local shop).

1565225198505.png
Here is the problem, I do not like the bar end adapter from the same brand motogadget (because it only have black option and I want a red option).

I contacted Desmoworld facebook page but he does not know what type of handlebar is for CB650R and either do I!

Their end bar mirror adapters are sick!!1565224410074.png
1565224383593.png

So the questions are:
1. What type of handlebars are CB650R?
2. Will these fit with the motogadet bar end mirrors and CB650R?
3. I do not know much of Germany, so if any lads can check out their website and feedback if this replace the motogadget bar end adapter is possible ?

Thomas

CBR650F ABS
650 Alumnus
Apr 8, 2017
Germany
Hi lads,

Please spend some time and help out your fellow clueless rider. So I would like to purchase an bar end mirrors from motogadget (like this picture I took on the internet from a local shop).

View attachment 3787
Here is the problem, I do not like the bar end adapter from the same brand motogadget (because it only have black option and I want a red option).

I contacted Desmoworld facebook page but he does not know what type of handlebar is for CB650R and either do I!

Their end bar mirror adapters are sick!!View attachment 3786
View attachment 3785

So the questions are:
1. What type of handlebars are CB650R?
2. Will these fit with the motogadet bar end mirrors and CB650R?
3. I do not know much of Germany, so if any lads can check out their website and feedback if this replace the motogadget bar end adapter is possible ?

If you get one of those definitely get the second pair is it prevents the mirror from flying off even when it got loose.
You should have a handlebar with 22mm outer diametre at the end. Please check that. In that case you probably need the "Klemmung 19 or 21" which means "clamping 19 or 21".

Easiest thing to be sure would be you could remove one bar end, taking a caliper and measuring the INNER diameter. Outer diameter should be fine, but if possible, check how wide the Motogadget mirror is and how wide that groove on the bar end is.

Rhazeil

CB650R
Aug 5, 2019
Canada
I didn't want to mess with adapters so I moved the controls over about 10mm to fit the CRG 2" mirrors View attachment 3572
Did you have to drill new holes into the bar to re adjust all the controls? I want to pick up some moto gadget mirrors and bar end signals but am still trying to work it all out. I do not want to remove anything if possible.

mako

CB650R ABS
Dec 19, 2019
FL
Some great info on how to get your mod on with bar ends here. Hope to put the info to good use in the near future. Not sure of mirrors, but certainly a slider of sorts. Thanks to all!

Those clips seem like a hokey way to secure the bar end and internal weight though.. My first thought when I looked at this back when was the end screw expanded an internal sleeve as you may see in other applications. Quite surprised when I found turning the screw did basically nothing.

Top Bottom