• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

Luggage Bag types

starskipper

CB650R
Sep 4, 2021
I've searched through this forum and found lots of great recommendations for bag options and brands people like etc. What I haven't been able to find though, and what I'm curious about, is recommendations for which type(s) of bags should I be considering in the first place.

What I mean is, my question is not "which tail bag do you recommend?" or "which tank bag?" but rather "should I go with tank bags or tail bags (or side bags, or some combination of all of the above, etc...)?"

My criteria is just that I need some luggage space. Pretty much anything more than the zero space on the bike would be a great start. Not looking for touring, but just enough to make it a practical city bike that I can run errands with.

JDude

CB650R ABS
May 20, 2020
Ottawa
Riding Since
I have the Honda tail bag, which is made by Shad. I’m not a big fan of tank bags unless you absolutely require the storage. The size is perfect for me day tripping and is expandable but very tall if you do. No one has stolen it yet but with the quick release and handle it makes it manageable to carry. I currently carry my extra layers for when the sun goes down on my evening rides. So my vote goes to a medium sized tail bag as a grocery getter.

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
I have the Honda tail bag, which is made by Shad. I’m not a big fan of tank bags unless you absolutely require the storage. The size is perfect for me day tripping and is expandable but very tall if you do. No one has stolen it yet but with the quick release and handle it makes it manageable to carry. I currently carry my extra layers for when the sun goes down on my evening rides. So my vote goes to a medium sized tail bag as a grocery getter.
I’m the opposite: like a tank bag, dislike tail bags.

Tailbag pluses: you can put a ton of crap in it.

Tailbag drawbacks: have to kick your leg over or around to mount and dismount the bike, if you want something in it when riding you have to stop, bend around, hopefully see it and can get it back closed or you have to hop off the bike. Can’t use it with a passenger. And I’ve yet to see one actually stable either.

Tankbag pluses: the opposite of above.

Tankbag drawbacks: if you’re not careful, you can scratch your tank and you have to move or remove to fill up and replace after which can be tricky. Get a gas cap mounted one and both are moot.

Tankbag FTW.

JRinKtown

CB650F
Jun 30, 2019
I like Tail Bags. They are out of the way and I never need what's in them unless I'm at a stop anyway. That's what pockets are for I figure. I have the Nelson Rigg Sport Tail Bag on the 650F. It holds fair bit, it's expandable, and it doesn't kill the lines of the bike like some other bags do.

DSC04074.JPG

baugustine

CBR650F
Staff
May 21, 2016
Ventura, CA
S @starskipper your questions above are really personal preference overlaid with carry necessity. I use both the tail bag and soft-sided panniers. Depends on where I’m going and how much gear I’m carrying. sometimes they are both on the bike, other times it’s only the tail bag.

Top Bottom