• Has your topic been discussed? Check this quick video for search tips. You answer/info might already be waiting!

CB650R Back brake seems pretty weak, especially compared to the front

MasterSlimes

CB650R
Jun 4, 2021
New Brunswick, Canada
Riding Since
So my 2021 CB650R has only 50km on it so far.

It's a great bike, and I dont really see much of the complaints on it that i am reading about in the forums and reviews.
I find the seat firm, but comfortable.
The shocks are great - back shock bounces around on rough roads tho...but i assume i can soften that up a bit ?
Of course its a naked bike, so above 110km/hr the wind becomes annoying. Thats ok, I wont be going much faster than that anyways.

My main issue w this bike are the back brakes. I have to really press it down hard to get much out of it. The front is very responsive and firm. The back feels soft.

So...is this because my braking technique sucks, or is it part of the bike's mechanics ? Or is there something wrong with my bike ?

Also are there better brake pads that would improve the braking ? or adjustments that can be made ?

thanks guys !

miweber929

CBR650F
650 Alumnus
Staff
Feb 13, 2015
Woodbury, MN
Riding Since
So my 2021 CB650R has only 50km on it so far.

It's a great bike, and I dont really see much of the complaints on it that i am reading about in the forums and reviews.
I find the seat firm, but comfortable.
The shocks are great - back shock bounces around on rough roads tho...but i assume i can soften that up a bit ?
Of course its a naked bike, so above 110km/hr the wind becomes annoying. Thats ok, I wont be going much faster than that anyways.

My main issue w this bike are the back brakes. I have to really press it down hard to get much out of it. The front is very responsive and firm. The back feels soft.

So...is this because my braking technique sucks, or is it part of the bike's mechanics ? Or is there something wrong with my bike ?

Also are there better brake pads that would improve the braking ? or adjustments that can be made ?

thanks guys !
EBC will make an HH+ pad that will help the power and feel but know all the brakes will have a very “wooden” feel and the back brake is not designed to actually stop your bike, but only to assist the front brake which should be your main brakes. If you come from cruisers or touring bikes, that will take some getting used to.

MasterSlimes

CB650R
Jun 4, 2021
New Brunswick, Canada
Riding Since
Thanks, I'm pretty new to biking, my previous was a 1982 nighthawk, which i drove back in the 90s for a few years. Do the brakes change with time ? I've literally only owned this bike for a week...and when i brake, i use both back and front about equally, pressure-wise.

Goblin

CB650R ABS
Sep 2, 2019
What Miweber929 said, the rear brake is just that lost 10% and it’s really made to stabilize your bike if you use them both. Using your rear brake makes your rear tire more planted on the ground. That said, mine rear brake is not weak. I can easily look up my rear tire. You can try to bleed your brake or swap your pads with the EBC HH+.

Last edited:

Honda_Fan

CB650R ABS
Jun 27, 2021
Riding Since
My rear brake is weak too compared to what I’m used to. I might have to see if I can try to lock my rear tire otherwise I will need to bleed it for better performance

Motojack

CBR650R
May 26, 2019
It feels "weak" but it's very easy to lock up the rear wheel with it as there is not much feedback. During our IBT we where taught 80% - 20% in favour of the front when using brakes, and they are just used to stabalize you not slow you down.

MasterSlimes

CB650R
Jun 4, 2021
New Brunswick, Canada
Riding Since
It feels "weak" but it's very easy to lock up the rear wheel with it as there is not much feedback. During our IBT we where taught 80% - 20% in favour of the front when using brakes, and they are just used to stabalize you not slow you down.
Thanks, so it sounds like this is more of a technique issue for me...

Goblin

CB650R ABS
Sep 2, 2019
I
Yeah it starts a little soft but further down there is enough bite. I actually like the progressive feel in my rear brake. It’s easy to adjust the right amount of brake pressure for instance before a corner to stabilize the bike. Did a service on the bike a week ago, oil, filter and brake fluid flush (I prefer doing it the old way). Maybe just a tip for those who never done some brake work. After I completely flush my brakes and bleed all the air out I go for a short ride and do a second bleed (sometimes there is a little Gremlin air bubble) just to give the brakes that last little bit of feel

MasterSlimes

CB650R
Jun 4, 2021
New Brunswick, Canada
Riding Since
I

Yeah it starts a little soft but further down there is enough bite. I actually like the progressive feel in my rear brake. It’s easy to adjust the right amount of brake pressure for instance before a corner to stabilize the bike. Did a service on the bike a week ago, oil, filter and brake fluid flush (I prefer doing it the old way). Maybe just a tip for those who never done some brake work. After I completely flush my brakes and bleed all the air out I go for a short ride and do a second bleed (sometimes there is a little Gremlin air bubble) just to give the brakes that last little bit of feel
Hmm, interesting thanks ! :)

Lexcb650r

CB650R
Jun 24, 2021
Riding Since
I also have been told these rear brakes need a little break in before they actually start working properly

honda_cb_650f

CB650F
Jan 16, 2021
Riding Since
I found after a brake flush with motul dot 4 the rear brake feeling improved over oem old fluid that had 4,000 miles on it

Goblin

CB650R ABS
Sep 2, 2019
It’s difficult to remember the exact feeling of your brakes the time they just had fresh fluid in it. Over a time span of two years your brake fluid is slowly deteriorating and your muscle memory adepts to the feel of your brake lever. So if you change your old fluid it feels sometimes your brakes are better than ever! Suddenly you got that strong feel back. I always change my brake fluid every year, just because it’s so cheap, so quick and easy to do and it gives me that safe feeling. Brakes are so important. (well I have to admit that I always make sure my bike is in tip top chape, almost OCD wise 😂)

Honda_Fan

CB650R ABS
Jun 27, 2021
Riding Since
It’s difficult to remember the exact feeling of your brakes the time they just had fresh fluid in it. Over a time span of two years your brake fluid is slowly deteriorating and your muscle memory adepts to the feel of your brake lever. So if you change your old fluid it feels sometimes your brakes are better than ever! Suddenly you got that strong feel back. I always change my brake fluid every year, just because it’s so cheap, so quick and easy to do and it gives me that safe feeling. Brakes are so important. (well I have to admit that I always make sure my bike is in tip top chape, almost OCD wise 😂)
Do you need to do any manipulation with abs computer or just straight fluid flush?

Goblin

CB650R ABS
Sep 2, 2019
Do you need to do any manipulation with abs computer or just straight fluid flush?
Just a fluid flush from reservoir to caliper (No ABS worries) I’m doing it the old school way, bleed the old fluid from the caliper out than I clean my reservoir and put new fluid in and start pushing it with the brake lever through the brake lines out of the caliper (at least one reservoir of fresh fluid through the system) I fill my reservoir up again and start building up pressure and bleeding out any remaining air, top of the reservoir job done. If you’re uncomfortable with the fact that you lose pressure and want to maintain it, you can leave just enough old fluid in your reservoir and start flushing it with new. There are several ways to do it, for instance with a vacuum pump on the bleed nipple or backwards from caliper pushing the fluid up to the reservoir etcetera.

Last edited:

fcanepa

CB650R ABS
Jun 23, 2021
Riding Since
After riding 800 km the rear brake started working kind of acceptable, I was really worried about the absolute no breaking power. The front brakes are just great, enough power and good response feeling.
I hope the rear brake will get to work even better.
Has anyone experienced a significant improvement after changing pads?

Cheers
The happy owner of a black 650r

OneyedK

CB650R ABS
Jun 19, 2021
Riding Since
I hope the rear brake will get to work even better.
Has anyone experienced a significant improvement after changing pads?

It's just part of the break in process.
Find an empty parking lot,
(1) accelerate to 50km/h, brake with rear brake only until stopped.
Make a lap round the parking lot to allow disk and pads to cool and repeat (1)...
In the whole process, do not drag the brake, the heat generated is no good.
(can even damage the pads - glazing - )
It's pefectly normal that a rear brake takes longer to bed in...
But if after an hour repeating (1), the brake still feels like you're stomping on a stone
without significantly reducing the speed of the motorcycle, have it checked by a
mechanic. There could be some air trapped in those new lines...

About changing pads: unless you plan some off road trips with your CB,
you don't need wheel-locking-braking-power.
My bike came stock with the Brembo Blue Ceramic pads in the rear,
if you want a bit more bite and stopping power, they are easily replaced
with the Red Sintered ones. Only downside is that they wear a bit faster.
Either way, when you replace the pads, you're off to the parking lot again ;)

Stock rear brake pads are CC-compound, sintered replacement pads are SP-compound, link to graph below.
Brembo info

Last edited:

MasterSlimes

CB650R
Jun 4, 2021
New Brunswick, Canada
Riding Since
It's just part of the break in process.
Find an empty parking lot,
(1) accelerate to 50km/h, brake with rear brake only until stopped.
Make a lap round the parking lot to allow disk and pads to cool and repeat (1)...
In the whole process, do not drag the brake, the heat generated is no good.
(can even damage the pads - glazing - )
It's pefectly normal that a rear brake takes longer to bed in...
But if after an hour repeating (1), the brake still feels like you're stomping on a stone
without significantly reducing the speed of the motorcycle, have it checked by a
mechanic. There could be some air trapped in those new lines...

About changing pads: unless you plan some off road trips with your CB,
you don't need wheel-locking-braking-power.
My bike came stock with the Brembo Blue Ceramic pads in the rear,
if you want a bit more bite and stopping power, they are easily replaced
with the Red Sintered ones. Only downside is that they wear a bit faster.
Either way, when you replace the pads, you're off to the parking lot again ;)

Stock rear brake pads are CC-compound, sintered replacement pads are SP-compound, link to graph below.
Brembo info
Thanks OneyedK ! This really makes sense...I'll test it out :)

Top Bottom